Poseidon Triton - overhaul or replace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gshak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I bought this reg in the mid 90's and have had a love-hate relationship with it ever since.:banghead:
Things I love:
1. Light weight
2. Small size
3. Swivel hose fitting
4. Breathes great in any orientation
5. Bubbles vent out to the sides, not in front of my mask
6. Looks cool :cool2:
Things I hate:
1. Trying to find parts and service
2. Paying for hard to find parts and service plus shipping
3. Miflex, long, or even just a replacement LP hose may not be available (proprietary Poseidon swivel fit hose)
4. Nothing is standard or easily replaceable on this setup

My LDS (a major "tech" shop in the Northeast) that used to sell and service these told me to 'chuck it' because Poseidon parts and service were unavailable in the US. So much for supporting them. Scubatoys said 'no problem, send it in'.

With 3 major trips coming up this year, I'm wondering:
Should I just replace it with a modern reg that isn't such an oddball (I think they made 1000 of these before they discontinued them), and if I do, is there any reg out there that I'll like as much?

I've all but ruled out the Apeks Flight, because it costs $760 for 1st, 2nd, and octo, requires yearly service of $45-$75, and also uses a non-standard LP hose (a really short one). I really liked the size and weight of it, but I don't want to get into another unusual reg like the Triton was.

Dive Rite makes some reasonably priced regs like the RG3000, with 2 year service interval, free parts, and if I get ambitious, I could do my own servicing. I've also been considering the Zeagle Flathead VII. Both seem to have DIR blessing, if I should decide to go down that path.

Will the Dive Rite or Zeagle be a noticeable improvement over the Poseidon? Or will I just be disappointed and a little more poor?

I believe 'Triton' is Swedish for 'major wierdness' ! :) If Scubatoys has your back, and you really want to hang on to the unit, just keep on keeping on with the Triton, problem solved, and Scubatoys will never go out of business, especially given the amount of $ I personally spend there ! I own a bunch of older Jetstreams, which are actually fine regs, but parts and service for Poseidon over the years has involved more 'drama' than I really care for, so for some years I'm diving Atomics (M1 / T2) and Apeks XTX 200's (2) ...(along with assorted Mares and Aqualung Titan LX's)... and I feel these regs, especially the primo Atomics/Apeks can meet/beat the Poseidons anyway, so I really don't screw with the Poseidons anymore.

Another vote for replace.
The Triton will only continue to give you major headaches the longer you keep it.
Not Poseidons finest hour.

I may live to regret this, but my dive shop is a Poseidon dealer and we have a good source for parts. If you want to send it to us I'll take a whack at it. I pride myself on doing oddball regs that nobody else wants to do. I have the book on it so I ought to be able to service it IF I can get the parts. PM me if you want to investigate this.

Quote from Oxy's book (I think quoting a single sentence is allowed if credit is given), where he quoted an experienced Poseidon service person:

"... Every time I... find a problem, I'd start to suspect the book wasn't right. I'd call the distributor,... and he'd say "you're right, the book's wrong, you got to do it this way..." "

Chuck it :D:D:D

I may live to regret this, but my dive shop is a Poseidon dealer and we have a good source for parts. If you want to send it to us I'll take a whack at it. I pride myself on doing oddball regs that nobody else wants to do. I have the book on it so I ought to be able to service it IF I can get the parts. PM me if you want to investigate this.
I genuinely appreciate the offer, but somehow I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about anyone "taking a whack at it".:reaper: I've heard Poseidon's are notoriously finnicky to work on, and even experienced techs have been known to get it wrong. Or maybe that only applies to the first stage, and they're all pretty similar? I think the second stage is just a couple of silicone valves with nothing that's adjustable?

Anyway, I think one more strike against the Triton would be that there are so few techs still around who have ever worked on one.

Huff it,

I would opt for something rock solid like the XTX50 or even a Atomic B2 or ST1, but that's just me.

I genuinely appreciate the offer, but somehow I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about anyone "taking a whack at it".:reaper: I've heard Poseidon's are notoriously finnicky to work on, and even experienced techs have been known to get it wrong. Or maybe that only applies to the first stage, and they're all pretty similar? I think the second stage is just a couple of silicone valves with nothing that's adjustable?

Anyway, I think one more strike against the Triton would be that there are so few techs still around who have ever worked on one.

I've never worked on a Poseidon that was finicky to work on. If you have the right tools they actually are quite easy to work on. I think Poseidon's reputation for difficulty comes from their always changing distributors here in the US. My shop's on its third distributor in three years; once you build rapport they go and change your distributor and you have to start the process all over again.

That being said, both stages of the regulator are quite easy to work on IF you have the right tools and the book.

Update: Sent the Triton to Scubatoys for an overhaul and I'm supposed to get it back June 2. Sounds like they aren't even going to rape me on the parts charges.:fruit:

Meanwhile, I made the mistake of continuing to shop around to see what's out there, and found a great deal on a display model Apeks Tungsten with an XTX50 second. Guess I'll be selling a Triton with a fresh overhaul soon. :dork:

Soooo, I followed everybody's advice here :dork2: The Poseidon probably would have served me well for at least another 5 years, but I'll probably have the Apeks for the rest of my life (or at least until somebody steals it)

Update: Sent the Triton to Scubatoys for an overhaul and I'm supposed to get it back June 2. Sounds like they aren't even going to rape me on the parts charges.:fruit:

Meanwhile, I made the mistake of continuing to shop around to see what's out there, and found a great deal on a display model Apeks Tungsten with an XTX50 second. Guess I'll be selling a Triton with a fresh overhaul soon. :dork:

Soooo, I followed everybody's advice here :dork2: The Poseidon probably would have served me well for at least another 5 years, but I'll probably have the Apeks for the rest of my life (or at least until somebody steals it)

If you are serious about selling your triton - I saw this ad in the regulators classified for someone looking to buy one.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-regulators/336209-poseidon-triton.html

I am in the same boat - love my Odin, hate to find "reasonable" service

Looking hard at the Apeks, Atomic & Zeagles - also considering Dive Rite RG3000\3100 & HOG's. More about how much $$$$ I can find in the budget.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom