Poseidon Unisuit Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glitch

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm in the market for a dry suit so I can start diving here in Sweden as well. Since money is an issue I want to buy a used suit. Poseidon suits are quite popular here in Sweden (swedish make duh:wink: ) and I have found a only two dives used Poseidon Unisuit Exclusive very very cheap.
Now initially I wanted to get a tri-lam suit but as there are hardly any on the second hand market for a decent price I'm considering the Poseidon.

Does anyone have any input on this/experience from this suit? I want to be able to dive all year round (also Ice later on) will this do the trick as long as I get som proper undee's?
From what I have read it seems really tough and build quality seems very good.

Any pros and cons of the suit would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

/C

I think some old Pro suits have their exhaust valve on middle of the chest. This is really useless for normal scuba diver.
The Pro will be a good suit for water below 10 degree (of cource Celcius!), but it may be too hot in warmer water (above 10!) because of thickness. or, you may need to intake some water inside suit.
Anyway, I recommend to visit the following site when you are buying a used suit.
http://www.divernet.com/gear/suits198/suits198.htm

Glitch:
Hi,

I'm in the market for a dry suit so I can start diving here in Sweden as well. Since money is an issue I want to buy a used suit. Poseidon suits are quite popular here in Sweden (swedish make duh:wink: ) and I have found a only two dives used Poseidon Unisuit Exclusive very very cheap.
Now initially I wanted to get a tri-lam suit but as there are hardly any on the second hand market for a decent price I'm considering the Poseidon.

Does anyone have any input on this/experience from this suit? I want to be able to dive all year round (also Ice later on) will this do the trick as long as I get som proper undee's?
From what I have read it seems really tough and build quality seems very good.

Any pros and cons of the suit would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

/C
Try
http://www.drysuits.co.uk

There suits are great!!! and also as tough as hell.

Glitch-What are the temperatures thru out the year that you expect to dive in? I have a Poseidon suit and neoprene is my preferance for cold water. Merely personal opinion but shell suits seem better suited for year yound 50-55 deg. water. By the time you add in several sets of undergarments for a shell they look even less appealing. Take the money you save by buying the used Unisuit and get a wet suit too. There must be some good reasons why you aren't seeing alot of used trilams locally.

yknot:
Glitch-What are the temperatures thru out the year that you expect to dive in? I have a Poseidon suit and neoprene is my preferance for cold water. Merely personal opinion but shell suits seem better suited for year yound 50-55 deg. water. By the time you add in several sets of undergarments for a shell they look even less appealing. Take the money you save by buying the used Unisuit and get a wet suit too. There must be some good reasons why you aren't seeing alot of used trilams locally.

Hi guys,

I ended up getting the Poseidon suit anyway. It's four years old only used twice on confined water dives (the guy got problems with dizziness as soon as he ascended) and has just been laying around since then. Checked all the seem and they looked good, the zipper is in good condition only needs to be lubricated (do you use paraffin wax on Poseidon zippers as well and where can you get it?)
The fit was perfect and it was hot as hell at least on land :)
The exhaust is on the left arm so that's not a problem. Also got some weights, a big *** SeacSub knife, wet suit gloves and an extra pair of fins. Total price for all about 190 USD which I thought was a steal for a basically brand new suit just for years of storage on it :)

Anyways the water he maybe gets to max 19-20C at the surface if it's a hot summer but after a few meters temperature drops quite a lot. For all year round diving we're talking more like 3-5 degrees C I'd say so this should do the trick I hope :)

I don't know feel like a good buy what do you say?

Cheers

/C

Glitch:
Hi guys,

I ended up getting the Poseidon suit anyway. It's four years old only used twice on confined water dives (the guy got problems with dizziness as soon as he ascended) and has just been laying around since then. Checked all the seem and they looked good, the zipper is in good condition only needs to be lubricated (do you use paraffin wax on Poseidon zippers as well and where can you get it?)
The fit was perfect and it was hot as hell at least on land :)
The exhaust is on the left arm so that's not a problem. Also got some weights, a big *** SeacSub knife, wet suit gloves and an extra pair of fins. Total price for all about 190 USD which I thought was a steal for a basically brand new suit just for years of storage on it :)

Anyways the water he maybe gets to max 19-20C at the surface if it's a hot summer but after a few meters temperature drops quite a lot. For all year round diving we're talking more like 3-5 degrees C I'd say so this should do the trick I hope :)

I don't know feel like a good buy what do you say?

Cheers

/C

First, if the suit doesn't leak and if it fits then it is worth far more than you paid. Neoprene suits aren't difficult to fix if you get minor leaks at the seams anyway but fit is worth it's weight in gold.

I don't know about using pure paraffin but most any dive shop will have zipper wax, which appears to maybe contain bee's wax, rather than a petroleum product. I just don't know if paraffin would be harmful to the zipper and suit in some other way.

As far as the temperature ranges you will dive, you can get by with a lot less thermal undergarments with your suit than with a trilam. My winter and spring temps are similar to yours and I use only a single layer of winter weight polypropylene underwear. Just remember to turn your suit inside out after a dive and after the outside has dried. Perspiration will build up inside and will not evaporate on it's own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom