Positive Side Effects From Scuba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lower heart rate.
Lower respiration rate.
Heightened situational awareness.

Sounds perfect, if you want to become a military sniper. :2ar15smil

I just took up diving and the joy and relaxation of seeing the underwater world has given me motivation to get into better shape. I have increased my excercise level quite a bit and am eating better so I can carry less lead and be able to handle unexpected situations better. This increased fitness sure does help me feel better on land!

Side effects of diving
1. Happier disposition
2. Waist shrank from 34 to 29 inches
3. Weight 155 to 145 at 6 feet tall.
4. 2 mile run time dropped from 18:34 to 15:38
Not bad for an old geeser of 51.

I agree,my most positive benefit is from the 6 months of workouts I get before a dive trip,without the trip I would probably find other distractions.

jonnythan:
Let me go against the grain here and say that hockey players have non-human cardio because they train *off* the ice so much.. same with gymnasts and any other athlete.

As divers we should be training out of the water even more than in the water... get in better shape in order to be a better diver in the water... work on relaxation and breathing in order to be a better diver in the water.. IMO you should be getting better at that stuff *out* of the water so that it improves your time *in* the water.. and if you're improving those skills *by being in the water* something is backwards. This should go for any athlete.. train to be better at what you do.. what you do as your sport is not training :wink:
And where in this post do you address the original posters question of positive side effects from diving?

pasley:
Side effects of diving
1. Happier disposition
2. Waist shrank from 34 to 29 inches
3. Weight 155 to 145 at 6 feet tall.
4. 2 mile run time dropped from 18:34 to 15:38
Not bad for an old geeser of 51.

NOT BAD? :11: Absolutely great is more like it. Here's mine:

1. Happier disposition
2. Waist still 34 (never goes up never goes down).
3. Weight 170 at 6' 1" (no change in 25 years).
4. 2 mile run time stil 2:00 (oh, that's in my truck at 60 mph).
5. All that nitrogen, has enabled me to tolerate at least two bottles of wine.
Not bad for another old geeser of 51 (well soon).

:wink:

dlndavid:
And where in this post do you address the original posters question of positive side effects from diving?
Uh, I was addressing something he said in his post.. where he implied that hockey players get physically fit mostly from playing hockey.. I was offering a counterargument to that.. but, you know, it's not worth the effort if it bothers you so much.. so nevermind.

I have stronger facial muscles as a result of the huge smile on my face after surfacing! :D

Good point Jonnythan

Jason

dlndavid:
So do your navigation skills on land? Practice peak buoyancy on land? Breath off a regulator and move real slow on land?
:laughing:
Darth Vaderesque.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom