Positive Side Effects From Scuba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Uh, I was addressing something he said in his post.. where he implied that hockey players get physically fit mostly from playing hockey.. I was offering a counterargument to that.. but, you know, it's not worth the effort if it bothers you so much.. so nevermind.
Yah, my panties are all in a bunch over this and I don't mind very well. :wink:

I believe that diving over the past several decades has greatly benefited me health-wise. My lung capacity was recently tested at 4X that expected for a man of my age and body type. My blood pressure was at the very low end of the scale. My personality has gone from type-A to rather "mellow fellow" (except at times when I'm driving the 405 or another of LA's freeways).

I link these positive attributes to my diving. Of course I usually do 200-400 dives a year, so the impact is greater. Hmmm... wonder how I'd fare if I did 500-1,000 dives a year (in warmer water of course)?

Dr. Bill pretty much most directly answered my question. But thank you everyone for your replies. Relaxation and empty pockets are huge side effects from diving.

Jonnythan, I don't disagree with anything that you said, but you kind of took the thread on a left turn with the out of water training. The points you made are true. Train, prepare, and learn out of water. Understood. But it's not really about what I am asking about. I intentionally control my beathing while diving. I just want to know if this will have a side effect topside, like in my Jiu Jitsu training. That's really it.

I never said "hockey players get physically fit mostly from playing hockey". I said they have non human cardio. I know one trains in the gym for cardio or to be fit. But the game of hockey played everyday simply boosts your cardio to crazy levels. A gymnist works out to be in shape for his sport. But the crazy muscles he gets are not the intention or objective, they are a side effect from being a gymnist. If you don't agree with the comparison just let it go. It's not the main point You understand what I am trying to ask.

It's no big deal. I just want to set that straight and not read an argument over a comparison I made to ask my question.

I am a runner. I run typically 4-6 miles consistently every other day. That in of itself is why I breathe the way I do underwater. Sure, its relaxing to be underwater, it has a huge calming effect on me. But, its the physical workout above the water that is the biggest benefit and not so much being below. I only have 11 dives under my belt, so I will add that maybe w/ more experience things might change.

Doug

PlanoDvr1:
I am a runner. I run typically 4-6 miles consistently every other day. That in of itself is why I breathe the way I do underwater.

Doug

That's very impressive. I wish I could be in that shape for that much running. If I had a different work schedule I would be training Jiu Jitsu much more. I get in great shape from it.

PlanoDvr1:
But, its the physical workout above the water that is the biggest benefit and not so much being below.

Doug

Just to be clear, I don't consider diving a workout. I workout in the gym or on the mat. That gets me in better shape from which my diving benefits...just like your running.

I am specifically speaking of breathing control, which I personally only do while diving. I am wondering if divers can control breathing more while on land because they do it while underwater.

Well,
I'm in way better shape. My endurance surprises me. I'm definately stronger, but that has more to do with hauling dive gear as opposed to actually diving. I've lost a couple inches on my waist since I started and I've lost a little bit of weight too, not much, as my body composition has changed.
And the really cool side effect is that I have a better body image. I see what it is capable of, as opposed to what society wants it to be.
I'm more relaxed & I have found that my problem solving ability has benefitted from diving. I now can stop, breathe, think, & act.

My sinuses clear up real nice after a couple of dives.

side effects:

1. my wifes oohs and ahhs: how can you CARRY those HUMONGOUS LP 85's on your back?? shhhh.....

2. my wife thinks i look darned sexy in my drysuit. i "test" wear it ... at times... and make sure she sees me...
("that suit makes your eyes stand out....")

3. "That looks so complicated!" says my wife while i remove my bp and wing from
the double tank rig. "Well, honey, I'm a Technical Diver." says I. shhhhhh.....

H2Andy:
3. "That looks so complicated!" says my wife while i remove my bp and wing from
the double tank rig. "Well, honey, I'm a Technical Diver." says I. shhhhhh.....
Do you capitalize the Technical Diver when you say it to her? :wink:

I have some issue with my back. When my back is sore and I have a couple of good dives. My back does feel better. Also, when I go on a week long dive trip, my wife useually sees I do not complain about my back until the winter. I do not know if it is the water pressure hitting the right spots or it is the relaxsation of the dive. My personal opinion, diving does help me physically.

Back
Top Bottom