Possible death on the oriskany Nov 14, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious if either of you were actually in the water yesterday. I would take your estimates more seriously if that was the case. If not, then I'll have to defer to what I experienced, and what other people at the scene were saying. My bottom estimate is based on what the divemasters were saying. Since I never had the O in sight, I can only judge by the distance I was moved from our boat to the area where I was picked up, which by my estimation would easily put things over one knot. Whether that means 2, 3, 4, or 5 I can't say, and I don't doubt my own frailty in current estimation. I don't think it would be much of a stretch to cover the distance of the O in two minutes, again, basing this on the distance from start to finish on my own ride at depth.

You are so true H If you aint there you cant say what happened any way I am sorry that this situation happened.
CaptK

I was with him at depth (165 fsw) in a three-man team when he lost consciousness. We immediately brought him to the surface once he did not respond to the bailout reg we were trying to get into his mouth. The other team member and I seem to be ok, physically.

A full report is forthcoming. I will say that at depth when we began our rescue attempt, his unit appeared to be functioning fine, PPO2 of 1.3 and a normal tempstick reading, and his loop was in his mouth. The consensus guess among those on the boat (which included our third team member, a surgeon) was a cardiac event or possibly an intra-cranial bleed.

As for the current, we did have quite a struggle getting down to the wreck, but once we reached the tie-in point and dropped down lee of the current, it was much better. And the current at 165 fsw was considerably lessened.

Thank you, GeorgiaWrecker, for taking the time to give us some real information about this incident. It sounds as though there was nothing more you could have done.

I'm curious if either of you were actually in the water yesterday. I would take your estimates more seriously if that was the case. If not, then I'll have to defer to what I experienced, and what other people at the scene were saying. My bottom estimate is based on what the divemasters were saying. Since I never had the O in sight, I can only judge by the distance I was moved from our boat to the area where I was picked up, which by my estimation would easily put things over one knot. Whether that means 2, 3, 4, or 5 I can't say, and I don't doubt my own frailty in current estimation. I don't think it would be much of a stretch to cover the distance of the O in two minutes, again, basing this on the distance from start to finish on my own ride at depth.

I was not personally in the water on Saturday, but I know several instructors, captains, and divemasters that were, and I was studying video that was shot on the Oriskany around that time. I have also dove in a 4-5 knot current. What I heard and saw from Saturday was not much more than 1 knot.

If you tell me that you were swimming in a 4-5 knot current then I'll accept it and leave it at that. :surrender:

I was with him at depth (165 fsw) in a three-man team when he lost consciousness. We immediately brought him to the surface once he did not respond to the bailout reg we were trying to get into his mouth. The other team member and I seem to be ok, physically.

A full report is forthcoming. I will say that at depth when we began our rescue attempt, his unit appeared to be functioning fine, PPO2 of 1.3 and a normal tempstick reading, and his loop was in his mouth. The consensus guess among those on the boat (which included our third team member, a surgeon) was a cardiac event or possibly an intra-cranial bleed.

As for the current, we did have quite a struggle getting down to the wreck, but once we reached the tie-in point and dropped down lee of the current, it was much better. And the current at 165 fsw was considerably lessened.

Thanks for the info. Was this a mixed-gas dive?

I saw it last night on the news, and you are correct. My wife looked at me after the report and said, "well that was helpful!" Of course she was being sarcastic. Not sure where they got their information from.

Anyone see the WEAR 3 News story last night and this morning concerning the accident? I'm not sure they could have screwed up the facts any more if they had tried. It was very poorly done. Maybe I'm just grumpy after all of this this weekend though. You be the judge.

WEAR ABC 3 :: Top Stories

I know this ma be the wrong place to do it but.. don`t really care... THANK YOU!!!.. to all the boats, captains, and other divers who gave us oxygen bottles to assist in our efferts to help our fallen brother.. it was TRULY helpful.... THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!

Anyone see the WEAR 3 News story last night and this morning concerning the accident? I'm not sure they could have screwed up the facts any more if they had tried. It was very poorly done. Maybe I'm just grumpy after all of this this weekend though. You be the judge.

WEAR ABC 3 :: Top Stories

This is a prefect example of why I stopped watching or reading the news! I honestly have no idea why anyone pays attention to the news anymore.

This is a prefect example of why I stopped watching or reading the news! I honestly have no idea why anyone pays attention to the news anymore.

I read the article, and I don't see a problem?

"A man dove off of a charter fishing boat, attempting to swim to the Oriskany... 20 miles off the coast of Pensacola."

"The U-S Coast Guard In Mobile received a call about a swimmer in distress, around noon yesterday."

That's pretty much what happened.

Back
Top Bottom