Post Dive Reg Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I overhaul 2 or three a week. some only need to repalce the "o" rings and seats (Thank you to the Customers that take care of thier equipment) OTHERS are corroded in side and out (usually from Fire Dept, SO etc.) The worst I've seen have a well established colony of roaches, spider eggs (one Black widow) and other assorted vermin . Had one that was beyond help after mice had nested in the box it had been thrown in after last years dive trip.. " I used it in the pool last week and it was fine" or "I only use it to clean the bottom of my boat" These idiots I'd like to strangle with the octo hose. Oh I' meant to say "regular customers intitled to a little special treatment after all" my boss.

P.S. I always put the dead insects sand, etc in that little bag with the replaced parts

Completely soaking about 30 min and rinse....... That is only way you can maintain the healthy reg. You will be surprised at how much dirty stuff comes out after full soaking.

Simple spraying of fresh water is not sufficient to eliminate all deposits.....

I just learned an ugly lesson ($$$) about cleaning my regs. I thought I was pretty carefull about rinsing them off, but I missed the part about taking the yoke adapter off of my DIN reg and drying it out. Lot of rust in there, almost froze the piston. Lesson learned.

don O

I forgot to add one more step. After soaking and rinsing it, I attach the reg to the tank and blow all moisture inside or outside. Sometimes, even I just left the reg attached to the tank by next dive date. I served my reg by myself, but I haven't seen any rusts due to the soak and rinse. Maybe, I am lucky... :wink:

what do you do with your regs if you dont have your own tanks to hook them to when you soak them at home after a dive?

Surelyshirly:
what do you do with your regs if you dont have your own tanks to hook them to when you soak them at home after a dive?

I don't have my own tanks so I always try to give mine a good hosing off with warm water while i still have the rentals. If i do soak mine I make sure that the cap is on the first stage (I actually have the oceanic FDX-10 w/ dry reg technology so it's not such a concern of mine. the DRT works beautifully). Make sure that you never push the purge button on either your primary or octopus if they are submerged and the lines aren't pressurized.
Rinsing after every dive and the occasional soak seems to have done my regs well, last time i had to get my primary serviced was after just over 150 dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom