Pre Dive Procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Begin With Review And Friend------does PADI still use these words in getting the info out??....

Bruce Willis Ruins Any Film

When I solo dive, the Buddy Check goes so smoothly that I don't even need an mnemonic; and the dive briefing is, well, quite brief :D

But since I more often than not have a buddy (or 4) along for the dive, I do a pretty complete buddy check, but no longer ask them to turn their heads and cough :wink:

Seriously, I do a Head-to-Toe equipment check on each buddy, air pressure, reg function, BC function, then bubble check in the water.

Best wishes.

The problem I have with the BWRAF system is that it doesn't cover enough.

One of the most common errors of omission here is forgetting to hook up the drysuit hose, which isn't covered anywhere in that list. Forgetting wrist gauges is another one (as somebody already mentioned).

I really like separating the dive plan from the equipment check, as has already been alluded to. Dive plan includes what you hope to do, who has what responsibility (who leads, who shoots a bag, who calls deco), what special equipment (reels, cameras, etc) you have with you. You discuss the outside parameters of the dive, as far as depth and time, and what the ascent strategy will be, and those two things determine how much gas you need and how you will use it. Lastly, you cover any particular issues related to that site -- current, boats, fishing line, constraints on exit, etc.

Then you simply run down the diver from head to toe. Got your hood? Got your mask? And so on, down to fins. It's amazing how many times you will find a deficiency, and it's always better to do it BEFORE you are in the water, or off the boat.

This sounds incredibly complex and time consuming, but with practice, the dive plan can largely be done while you are getting dressed and geared up, and the head-to-toe takes about two minutes.

Just to add a few more that havent been metioned...

Bangkok Women Really Are Fellas
Burger With Relish And Fries
Beer Whiskey Rum And Fall Over
Big White Rabbits Are Fluffy
Big Waves Really Are Fun
Bring Weed Rizla And Fags
Beans With Rice And Fish

I could go on.....

When I solo dive, the Buddy Check goes so smoothly that I don't even need an mnemonic; and the dive briefing is, well, quite brief :D

I know this was partially in jest, but there is a good serious point contained therein. You can do this because of your vast experience, but a newer diver will need some help.

Many of the people posting on this thread have been diving for many years, and it may be hard for them to remember how overwhelming the equipment is to a diver with less experience. Our experienced brains almost reflexively take care of items that a begining diver has to struggle to remember. That is the main reason a buddy check is needed.

This was brought home to me when, after years of standard recreational dving I began to do technical training with a whole new set of equipment. As time went on, I adjusted to my many equipment screwups by learning new habits. For example, it took me a few times tangling cords and hoses in my harness before I learned how to routinely maneuver it when buckling so that this did not happen. I eventually learned to attach my dry suit inflator hose before I got into the harness so that I did nto forget it. Someone who has been doing this for many years develops a ritual that allows them to get everything right with little thought or effort.

That is the problem with the "head to toe" concept. It works great once you have enough experience to be able to visualize what that should look like. Once you have that mental image, you can got through it and see what parts you have forgotten. Until you have that image, you need to have a list with names on it.

Experience becomes your foe when you get cocky and think you don't need to do a check and can rely on your ability to just get it right without thinking.

I do;

Ofcourse we lay out a diveplan with depths, routes, times, turningpressures and exit/abort-procedures.
BWRAF, for equipment checking and making sure everything is with us.
On surface, making sure that computer is showing correct depth and checking if dryglove system leaks.
During decend; bubble-check.

Point taken boulderjohn (yes, I was kidding, thus the "smilies" :D ).

I agree with you 100%. The buddy check is important (vital) and I do it with my buddies without exception.

While we are in agreement, I've highlighted one point you made:

...Someone who has been doing this for many years develops a ritual that allows them to get everything right with little thought or effort.

That is the problem with the "head to toe" concept. It works great once you have enough experience to be able to visualize what that should look like. Once you have that mental image, you can got through it and see what parts you have forgotten. Until you have that image, you need to have a list with names on it.

Experience becomes your foe when you get cocky and think you don't need to do a check and can rely on your ability to just get it right without thinking.

I understand what you mean, but the problem I have with any memory aid is that it is not a substitute for the image of what properly-rigged gear is supposed to look like.

The memory aid is just to make you actually check something that you might otherwise forget. My belief is that if you don't already have the mental image, the memory aid loses a lot of its value.

Once you have that image, the "head-to-toe" check goes really quickly, and you can quickly spot a problem on a buddy that might not be covered by your memorized checklist.

I think we are in agreement here, but just wanted to clarify what I meant (without my usual jokes and silliness :D ).

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I used to use BWRAF but have since switched to BAR (which covers the same things):

Buoyancy (inflate/deflate BC and drysuit)
Air (breath all regs, check gauges and do a modified S drill to ensure my long hose isn't trapped)
Releases (Check releases for BC and quick ditch weights/belt)

Review of dive plan and objectives

In water bubble check.

This is combined with the fact that I layout my gear and suit up the same way all the time whether I'm soloing or not.

I think we are in agreement here, but just wanted to clarify what I meant (without my usual jokes and silliness :D ).

We are in total agreement, with or without your usual jokes and silliness.

Is there any wild chance we could get together in a week or so, or do you never go Kona side?

We are in total agreement, with or without your usual jokes and silliness.

Is there any wild chance we could get together in a week or so, or do you never go Kona side?

I'd love to, but I think work and family obligations will prevent it for the next several weeks. Sigh :depressed:

PM sent.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom