Preparing for Devil's Throat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, it really doesn't make any difference what dive op you use, there are just a lot of Aldora loyalists on this forum, and the owner does post from time to time. But in the end, it's the same dive and you're the one doing it. Well....you and dozens of other new divers silting up a long narrow restriction that pushes recreational limits. Regardless of how well you (or your group) is prepared for this dive, the real problem is the many others who are not. I think I've been through the throat 3 times, (the boat choice is not mine!) and always there's a big group of unknown divers flailing away. The gas usage is one thing, but you could have all the gas in the world and still get mugged by a panicking diver that shouldn't be there in the first place.

The kicker is, to me it's one of the least interesting or enjoyable dives I've done in Cozumel. Right near by you have Colombia deep, which is really amazing and you can enjoy lots of un-named swim throughs in peace. Or palancar 'caves', another great spot with lots of swim throughs sans traffic-jams.

Ba humbug, devils throat is a glorified swim through, that happens to go down to 130-138 ft. it is only done at that start of a dive because you only have 8 minutes to start back up the side of the wall to 80 ft.

it is very nice to swim out of the "tunnel" and be on the wall looking into the blue and sometimes you are blessed with a shark or two swimming by.

follow your guide and dont think about it too much, because turning around and going back the way you came is not likely an option, but if you have been in the cenotes you should be fine. of course there is always the option to panic and that is not advisable in this dive so dont do it.

we once found some lion fish at the bottom and we all watched the DM try to scoop them into a plastic bag (before they were allowed to carry spears) well as you can imagine it took more than 5 minutes, we were all looking at our computers as we scooted up the wall. maybe a little lionfishosis was involved.

Edit: I never dive this any more, as has been said there are lots better dives, infact the dive in the same place but skip the swim through is better.:D

Did the Devil's Throat in September. It was kinda cool. Didn't do any special planning other than the normal dive briefing and didn't use any special equipment other than carrying my 13cf pony (which I usually carry on dives deeper than 60f). Came up with plenty of air in my AL80 and coming out of the throat at 122' my trusty Zoop told me I still had 8 min of NDL...which quickly inscreased as I ascended.

It's not a difficult dive, contrary to whatever legend might surround it.

It's not a difficult dive, contrary to whatever legend might surround it.

Not for you, but how about all the other divers clogging it up? You sure about them?

It's not that it's outright reckless to dive it as a recreational dive, if it were there would be lots of accidents there on a regular basis. It's just that, to me at least, it's not enjoyable, mostly due to the crowded restriction with unknown OW divers.

Really any dive that is considered recreational is not difficult as long as nothing goes wrong....Ive done Devils throat 5-6 times over the years all with AL80's and as long as you have good air consumption has never been a problem..I would not recommend this dive for a Newly inexperienced diver but there is no need to try and scare people away from the site.

It's not a difficult dive if nothing goes wrong.

How many people have died on that dive versus other sites? I don't know of any but recently (several years) there was one at Santa Rosa and whatever dive site the woman from Utah disappeared.

To me, Devil's Throat is a "been there...done that" sort of dive. If the OP is qualified to do it and he wants to dive it, he should do it. Get it out of his system.

Having 50% more air than a typical dive tank does provide more flexibility.

As for the notion that asking about this dive suggests "misgivings" and therefor he should not do the dive, what I see is a safe diver who is wise enough to seek out advice on expanding his experience/comfort zone.

I normally do the dive without a flashlight. I strongly suggest that both you and your wife have one.

It might also be beneficial if you both immediately follow the divemaster as opposed to being at the end of the line. On one dive there, I was at the end as I usually am and two people elected to not go through the throat area so I led them back out and to the north area of that reef structure. Be self-sufficient.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of "the throat", I've done it several times, both before and after Wilma and the demise of the "cross" sponge. I really don't see the point. Last time I exited, I drifted down to 150' while waiting for everyone else to exit before I realized it.

no big deal, I've been deeper, I just don't like the shortened bottom time. I'd much rather dive shallower, spend more time down & see more critters and reef formations than have the bragging rights of swimming through a tight, vertical, deep, dark space.

If you want a beautiful deep dive, do the Cathedrals, it's basically the same area and a spectacular dive you can go to 100' if you please.

How many people have died on that dive versus other sites? I don't know of any but recently (several years) there was one at Santa Rosa and whatever dive site the woman from Utah disappeared.

Shouldn't there be fewer deaths though, since ops generally only take experienced divers? Cruise ships take people to Santa Rosa, so a ton more people are on the site, and possibly very inexperienced ones.

Really any dive that is considered recreational is not difficult as long as nothing goes wrong....Ive done Devils throat 5-6 times over the years all with AL80's and as long as you have good air consumption has never been a problem..I would not recommend this dive for a Newly inexperienced diver but there is no need to try and scare people away from the site.
Since when are overhead penetrations and depths exceeding 130' considered recreational?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom