Preparing for Tec-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagonoj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

I'm up for Tec-1 training in Thailand on 22nd-26th November. I have been working out to prep my body to carry double & deco. I still have 2 more weeks to go and will be doing many pool sessions with my buddies. I like to have some suggestion from you guys who have done it before on how to train and prepare my self for the best learning experience of this course or even passing. Thanks.:D

If you can do all the DIRF skills out of sight of the bottom in mid-water you are on the right track. Mid-water bouyancy is the biggest stumbling block

nagonoj:
Hello All,

I'm up for Tec-1 training in Thailand on 22nd-26th November. I have been working out to prep my body to carry double & deco. I still have 2 more weeks to go and will be doing many pool sessions with my buddies. I like to have some suggestion from you guys who have done it before on how to train and prepare my self for the best learning experience of this course or even passing. Thanks.:D

Good luck to you!!! Hope to get my chance soon.

Start using a reel we used one every dive for tech1 and mostly travelling single file. The team has to be in close contact for all drills esecially valve etc

Work on your neutral buoyancy.
Practice holding depth with no visual reference (no walls, no bottom, no line, etc.), and when/if you are good with it do that while doing other tasks. (S-drills, valve drills, shooting bag, or any other thing that requires some concentration.)
Get really comfortable without a mask, be able to swim around and ascend/descend without it (of course with the guidance of your teammates.)

Other than that, the only thing is be familiar with the gear you are taking the class in, but seems like you are already doing that part.
I don't think messing with the reel or deco bottles are necessary before the class. It wasn't for me.

paulwlee:
Work on your neutral buoyancy.
Practice holding depth with no visual reference (no walls, no bottom, no line, etc.), and when/if you are good with it do that while doing other tasks. (S-drills, valve drills, shooting bag, or any other thing that requires some concentration.)
Get really comfortable without a mask, be able to swim around and ascend/descend without it (of course with the guidance of your teammates.)

Other than that, the only thing is be familiar with the gear you are taking the class in, but seems like you are already doing that part.
I don't think messing with the reel or deco bottles are necessary before the class. It wasn't for me.

Agree. Messing with the reel and depoying your deco bottle reg just gives you the opportunity to learn bad muscle habits and do it wrong. Swim around with the deco bottle, practice checking your spg and venting your wing from the butt dump. But don't depoy the deco reg or use the reel until class.

Those are less critical skills compared to bouyancy in mid water. Did I mention bouyancy control out of sight of the bottom :D

rjack321:

Those are less critical skills compared to bouyancy in mid water. Did I mention bouyancy control out of sight of the bottom :D

Fully agreed. And just as important, "TEAM WORK" (check all egos at the door, if you screw up in the class, just admit it and try to improve rather than coming back with a smart-alec reason why you screwed up).

If you have the attitude of trying to pass the class on your own and ignore your team-mates, chances are you will not be passing.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom