Preparing to dive Truk and other wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachita

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have just been certified as a PADI wreck diver and would like to continue training in order to dive the wrecks at Truk, at the graveyard of the Atlantic and elsewhere. Many of these wrecks lie between 120 and 165ft and, in talking with recreational divers who dove them, I have been struck by how many casually mentioned doing short deco stops as required by their computer. I've also seen threads discussing group trips to Truk describe how the dives get progressively deeper as the week goes by, with dives at 150 feet common towards the end. One discussion on this subject specifically said that these dives 'weren't tech dives' and that 'everyone was OK because the trip operators hung extra air bottles at various depths on the way up'.

This information flies in the face of everything I've learned, so I'm doing my own due diligence to find out how best to prepare to safely dive these sites - specifically, what type of courses should I take? For context, here is my background:

• Certified through PADI for AOW, rescue, enriched air, wreck and other specialties.
  • Have 70 logged dives - 17 over 70ft; 6 over 100ft; 9 on nitrox
  • I'm small - 5'1", weigh 125 and have back injuries that make it difficult to walk with my gear/1 tank. No problems in the water, where I'm very comfortable.

I'm thinking of taking additional courses and considering:
  • TDI Advanced Nitrox
  • TDI Advanced wreck
  • PADI Tec 40, TEC 45 and TEC 50

Would appreciate any information and training suggestions.

Thanks!
Johanna

You do not need to have technical training to do the dives in Truk. When I was there, diving off of the Odyssey Liveaboard, there was only one dive that was specifically below recreational depth, and that one was optional. You could choose to dive beyond recreational limits on a number of the other sites if you wished, but there was fine diving to be done on those sites within recreational limits.

If you see technical diving in your future, with mandatory decompression and all, then you may want to look into tech diving courses. As for the TDI ones you mentioned, you will want to start more basic than the ones you mention--Intro to Tech. I would not go into the TDI Advanced Wreck course until I had gone through several of the TDI courses first. There is a lot of skill work that you need to have mastered before you go there. In addition, you should realize that you will be talking about double tanks. With the back problems you mention, you might want to consider learning about sidemount diving if you are going to go the tech route.

John, thank you for your reply - I will look into TDI's Intro to Tech course.

Very interesting that you mention sidemount diving. I've been reading up on this since I learned that it's an excellent way for people with back problems to manage double tanks. I will look to see where I can learn this type of diving.

Johanna

Steve Lewis of TDI(Doppler here on Scubaboard) teaches TDI tech courses in the 1000 Islands area and has a very good reputation as an instructor. He will teach in sidemount if you like. Outside of Truk, which is sort of a special case, you're looking at depth ranges for which Normoxic Trimix would be appropriate. So, Intro to Tech, AN/DP/Helitrox, and then Normoxic, with Advanced Wreck at some point after AN/DP/Helitrox. In the meantime, take a look at Mark Powell's "Deco for Divers" and Steve's "The Six Skills".

Last edited:
Ron, thank you for the great info. I'm trying to buy Deco for Divers but Amazon is out of stock. I did not know about Steve Lewis/Doppler - but I just visited his website, signed up for his blog, will buy his book & contact him.

Regards,
Johanna

I am also considering a trip to Truk but have a big problem with their on-shore decompression chamber not being reliably available:

Alert Diver | Bent in Chuuk

Personally, if I were in your area I would start with the easier deep wrecks in Florida and move onto Cape Hatteras before investing in Truk. Those dives will be lots of fun and a less expensive classroom. You may be able to incorporate any additional classes at the same time. I am sure that there are tons of divers that visit Truk with only 70 dives, but suspect you would enjoy it more with more deep water and wreck experience.

As for your back injury, many divers on inflatables and kayaks dump their bottles in the water to don and hang on a line to doff. It is a great way to deal with more weight than you can handle on deck, but requires a little planning and practice. Sometimes you can tweak your gear to make it easier. You can practice in a swimming pool or in calm shallow water with an inner-tube float.

Another thing that helps is to have a D-ring on your weight belt so you can clip it off to a line before boarding. It is easier and safer than trying to remove your belt and handing up to somebody on the swim step.

I have a line that serves several purposes. First it is a hang-off line for stops marked at 30', 20', 15', and 10'. At the end is a spliced eye with a ¼" Stainless 3" O-ring. A snap shackle and two ¼" lines about 1' long with a trigger snap, each spliced to the O-ring. I first attach the snap shackle to my weight belt (before removing). I then remove each fin, slipping the line through and clipping the trigger snap to the O-ring. Clipping to the weight belt first prevents drifting off while removing fins. Then I pull myself up the line to the surface and drop my belt. I can then get on the ladder with minimal fuss and less weight. In your case, you could also have a clip near the surface for your cylinder(s).

Last edited:
Personally, if I were in your area I would start with the easier deep wrecks in Florida and move onto Cape Hatteras before investing in Truk. ...
Good point. When I was in Truk, the majority of the divers on the boat were instructors. The rest were very experienced. Still there were a couple of divers we learned to avoid being with during the dives. Their buoyancy and kicking skills were such that you could count on a cloud of visibility obscuring silt/rust particles in the water wherever they went.

Johanna, although Amazon says they are out of stock, this does not mean their partner book sellers are. Go to this page on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1321832716&sr=1-1&condition=new

Just a few weeks ago I ordered Deco for Divers from "Super Book Deals." Very good price and prompt delivery. Great book, by the way.

Ron, thank you for the great info. I'm trying to buy Deco for Divers but Amazon is out of stock. I did not know about Steve Lewis/Doppler - but I just visited his website, signed up for his blog, will buy his book & contact him.

Regards,
Johanna

Hi Akimbo,

Thanks for the great tips! The Truk trip I'm looking at is in 18 months, so my plan is exactly what you suggest: training to progress from the easier deep wrecks in Florida and the Caribbean, to the Carolinas and then on to Truk, so that I can truly enjoy the trip and full experience. The story in the current issue of Alert Diver you mention highlighted the need for additional training for me. Truk is so remote, that you want to make the most of your trip, with the result that even experienced pros get in trouble.

I am very comfortable taking off and putting on my gear in the water. In Curacao, where currents and waves aren't a problem it's the way I always do it. I'll have to learn how to do it in Florida and other places where it's rougher & your tips are excellent. I am also going to take a course on sidemounted rigs as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom