Presbyoptic Lens Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc:
Lasik can fix your distance. I would mabe check into have one eye done and leave your other eye for close up.
Several good lasik doctors in Monterrey Mexico. A big training center. They have all the newer laser there that are still waiting for the USA to approve them for sell here in the USA.. Are are in Mexico???right??
Thanks... I'm in LA (Lower Alabama/Alabama Gulf coast) I'm not interested in lasik as all it would do is trade one problem for another. I'm very fond of binocular, focused vision, but would like to have it without the glasses at all ranges - hence my interest in the lens replacement (Tommy's too, I imagine).
Rick

There is a new IOL (inter ocular lens) implant by Alcon called acrysof restore lens

http://cataractsurgery.com/us/patient/aboutlens.asp

It's a lens implant that allows for clear distance vision (as do all IOL's) as well as restoring the ability to focus at close objects.

Traditionally cataract surgery(removal of old cloudy lens and repleaced with implanted lens) has not been used as refractive corrective surgery. But this is changing. Ask your doctors about it.

ZAquaman:
There is a new IOL (inter ocular lens) implant by Alcon called acrysof restore lens

http://cataractsurgery.com/us/patient/aboutlens.asp

It's a lens implant that allows for clear distance vision (as do all IOL's) as well as restoring the ability to focus at close objects.

Traditionally cataract surgery(removal of old cloudy lens and repleaced with implanted lens) has not been used as refractive corrective surgery. But this is changing. Ask your doctors about it.
Oops!
"The ACRYSOF® ReSTOR® lens now also filters both UV and blue light. For more information, please visit www.acrysofrestor.com.
Implant.jpg
Restored.jpg
Inserting ACRYSOF® ReSTOR® lens. ACRYSOF® ReSTOR® lens in the eye.

The ACRYSOF® IQ Lens
All currently available artificial lenses filter UV light, but the ACRYSOF® IQ IOL filters both UV and blue light². The ACRYSOF® IQ lens is transparent yellow -- the color necessary to filter blue light. The patented yellow tint does not alter the natural colors of the things you see or the quality of your vision.
The ACRYSOF® IQ IOL is designed to conform to the natural shape of the lens capsule. This helps it stay stable and centered in the eye. But what makes the ACRYSOF® IQ IOL unique is its ability to filter blue light."
That unique ability to filter out blue light might not be a very good idea at all for divers.
Rick

Very good people. I work for AMO who is in direct competition with Alcon. I'm a field engineer on tphaco machines. These are the ones that remove the cataract. Used to work for Bausch and Lomb. Serviced their lasers for lasik surgery for years. I'm surprised that there are some people on this board that know what the hell they are talking about.
Well I'm off to get my AOW after 21 years of diving!!

Another rather nearsighted diver wearing contacts that finds this thread extremely interesting.

As Uncle Ricky mentioned, and if I understand it correctly, Lasik surgery seems to trade one sight problem for another. Am I correct in this belief?

Does the procedure being discussed truly "fix" sight problems?

This all depends on the individual. You need to be evaluated by an experienced physician and they will determine the best route for you. My friend got lasik done and it worked out just fine. 20/20 vision after five years. I have not been a candidate for Lasik and if I did get it done they tell me that I would still have to wear reading glasses. I am not really keen on getting one eye done for close and one for distance since I am a computer geek and I prefer binocular vision. On top of that my mother and my maternal grandfather had cataracts so I am at risk for that later in life. The lens replacement I am told will be permanent for the rest of my life and my physician recommends it for me. I had hoped that someone of the tens of thousands on the board had gotten the surgery and I could hear from the horse's mouth if they were satisfied with it.

scubafool:
Another rather nearsighted diver wearing contacts that finds this thread extremely interesting.

As Uncle Ricky mentioned, and if I understand it correctly, Lasik surgery seems to trade one sight problem for another. Am I correct in this belief?

Tom Smedley:
This all depends on the individual. You need to be evaluated by an experienced physician and they will determine the best route for you. My friend got lasik done and it worked out just fine. 20/20 vision after five years. I have not been a candidate for Lasik and if I did get it done they tell me that I would still have to wear reading glasses. I am not really keen on getting one eye done for close and one for distance since I am a computer geek and I prefer binocular vision. On top of that my mother and my maternal grandfather had cataracts so I am at risk for that later in life. The lens replacement I am told will be permanent for the rest of my life and my physician recommends it for me. I had hoped that someone of the tens of thousands on the board had gotten the surgery and I could hear from the horse's mouth if they were satisfied with it.
Tom,
I have been in the eye bussiness for 20 some years,mostly fixing lasers. This new IOL from Alcon I have not heard of yet. But I'm not in sales so with Alcon,,,I don't doubt it. I'm sure AMO will be the next one that has the same thing. As far as regular IOL inplants and cataracts....we all get them,,,,even dogs. My pop was the one to help perfect this surgery back in the 70's I remember in high school him going all over the world doing this surgery.
The new Alcon IOL maybe your best bet. You would have one eye done and then come back in a few months for the other. A good doctor should be able to do nyour eye in about 5 min. Your lens at this time has not gone cataract(hard) so it will be very soft and easy. As we age your lens will get cloudy and hard like a stone if you let it go that long. If you would like I can check with my eyeball friends about this new IOL and get back with you.
Dave

scubafool:

Sooner or later we all will have to wear readers. Even if you have lasik done. You may not need them until your 70. So lasik will work,,,so enjoy the no contacts and glasses while you are still young. At 70,,,,who the hell cares anyway. Everyone in the old folks home will be right there also. I had it done a few years back. One eye for reading and one eye for distance. I have no problems.

I had LASIK done about five years ago, and I couldn't be happier with the results. At age 41, my arms are starting to get shorter, and I have to hold books, etc. a little farther out. Reading glasses are definitely in my future, but gauges and dive computers are still fine.

My prescription was 4.75 1.0/180 x 5.25 1.25/165 and now I'm corrected to 20/30 (I was intentionally undercorrected, on advise of both my regular opthamologist and the LASIK surgeon.

The only problem I have is that my eyes are dryer than before and I occasionally have to use eye drops. Eventually I'll have to buy reading glasses for close work and reading; but everything else is good for me.

I do go to the opthamologist every year for checkups, and so far they've all been good reports.

tachyon

I talked to my Eye Doctor about this just today. He says it was being tried in the US but there were problems with the implant popping out when you rubbed your eyes. UNtil they get the process down I would say don't do it. If the implant pops out you not only lose close in visioon, but distance vision as well.

Just my 2 cents...

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom