Prescription Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those of you who have an eyesight correcting mask, where did you get it from?

About how much did it cost?

Are some brands and models better than others? If so, what features should we look for?

Thanks so much!

Prescription mask can be more difficult than they seam. First off not every mask fits everyone's face. Step 1, find a mask that fits you. We have found that the old suck in test really isn't that accurate. I can suck in on every mask but that doesn't mean that it will not leak. If you tilt your head back and the mask naturally lays flat around your face, you are good. If you have big gaps on the forehead or check bone, in all likeliness that mask will leak. once you pick a mask out and you are comfortable with the field of vision, then it is time to put your prescription in. Id all you need is distance then there are some masks with "Pop in Pop out" lenses. If you find that kind, that is the most inexpensive way to go. If you have any stigmatism or bifocal, than will be more expensive (250-290). We personally use a guy in New York and he will put your exact prescription in your mask. He does amazing work. So before I can guide you, what is your exact prescription? When you get this, make sure you get the PD#, they always leave it off.

Go to Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.

Ask for Linda. They do the best work. I have four masks by them. Absolutely superb service and the NICEST people to work with.

Second that, I gave my husband a new Rx mask for cheaters (gauge readers) and these guys were awesome, they delivered well before the next trip (we were headed to Chuuk) and were particularly personable when I spoke to them about the details. I can't say better things about them and highly recommend their work and service.

Dive safe,

Celia

+1 on them. Had mine for 3 years now. You get your favorite mask and have them put in the proper correction. Getting a back up made this year.

Seavision also makes a great mask to your prescription. However, unless you have signficant astigmatism, have you considered the newer soft contacts? I've fought against trying contacts for years - "it's like putting a brick in your eye, right." However, about 5 years ago I gave them another try with Accuvue Advanced with hydraclear. I adjusted very quickly to this one. I put away my seavision. The plus is that I can see after removing my mask. I have never lost a contact while diving. Actually now I dive with just one contact as I can then read the guage and see clearly without the second one.

I actually disagree that you have to spend the money to get a custom prescription made, with astigmatism correction and accurate interpupillary distance (IP).

I'm extremely nearsighted. Out-of-water correction of -9.75 in one eye with -1.75 cylinder (astigmatism), and -10.00 in the other eye with -2.75 cylinder. For glasses, I'm extremely sensitive to the slightest thing wrong with the correction, to include the astigmatism correction.

I've been using off-the-shelf mask lenses of -9.5 correction in both eyes; that also means no cylinder correction and a "standard" IP. I've always been able to see perfectly underwater, because of the different refractive properties that water has.

Off-the-shelf lenses run about $30-$50 each, depending on the mask and depending on whether they're available for a particular mask. Generally in strengths up to -8.00.

My primary mask is a TechniSub Look that I bought in Europe, but it's not available any more. I just mail-ordered another mask as a back-up, that's available up to -10.00, for about $80 with the lenses:

Edge Vision Mask with Optical Lenses @ Divers-Supply.com

For those of you who have an eyesight correcting mask, where did you get it from?

About how much did it cost?

Are some brands and models better than others? If so, what features should we look for?

Thanks so much!

Being older I have the typical farsighted problem, and I have bi-focal lenses in my mask that let me read my gauges and see distance too.

My local dive shop has a source where they sent my mask to have the lenses installed, and I would guess yours does also. Some masks apparently don't lend themselves to this so be sure to ask. You will need your prescription. My lenses cost about $150 installed.

With my mask on, I can see well near and far, and both underwater and on the surface. This is convenient since you often need good eyesight above water to don your gear, check your buddy, watch a dive orientation, and read your gauges.

I've been using a Sherwood Magnum 2 which fits my big face well and can be had for about $25 at some online retailers like Leisurepro, with lenses being $22 each it's a good buy.

Take a look at Vision Correcting Masks and Gauge Reader Masks - Dive Gear Express too.

Keep in mind a script back up mask in case you have a problem with your primary. BTDT :D

i didi not get a perscription mask
however i got my compumask fitted for lenses here is the aeris info

the illinois addy is much cheaper in price than the cal addy

Prescription Lenses

We are pleased to announce AERIS' approval of two leading vendors to install prescription lenses in the CompuMask.

Please contact them directly with any questions.

Scuba Optics, Inc.
1405 8th Ave.
Rock Falls, IL, USA
Phone: 815-625-7272
Toll Free: 800-346-2654
Fax: 815-625-9735
Email: scubaopt@essex1.com

Prescription Dive Masks
2870 4th Ave Suite ABC
San Diego, CA, USA
Phone: 619-299-2878
Toll Free: 800-538-2878