presidente vs. occidental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at the Grand the last week in May and loved it. We generally stay away from all-inclusives, but this was a last minute trip and all we wanted to do was dive.

The Grand - Service was excellent, they were very attentive and responsive. We changed roooms after the first night (they stuck us in the jungle in a room with two beds - we also prefer not to be on the 1st floor). They were great about it. Food was very good, especially the breakfast and lunches. Dinner could be improved upon, but was decent and they will always make you chicken quesadillas or something if you can't find anything you like.

The dive shop there was great - Dive Palancar. Inexpensive, too. Divemasters were top notch, and we never had more than 6 to a divemaster, and no more than 12 to a boat, though usually less. They also had special trips to Punta Sur and Maracaibo which they were very particular about only letting experienced divers go to.

For the money, I don't think you can find a better deal.

I stayed at the Grand during the second week of May. I really liked the place, and thought the dive op (and their DMs) were great. In particular, I liked that you're so close to the dive sites, that the boat brings you back to shore between dives (time to eat and re-hydrate). All their boats had plenty of room so it was nice and easy to get your gear on and off.

My wife and I stayed at the Presidente in May. It was really nice to have good snorkeling right off the beach and I did 1 beach dive there as well. We have stayed at the Allegro and the Iberostar but not the Grand. I liked the Presidente's location much better than either of those hotels. You couldn't snorkel at the Iberostar and there really wasn't anything to see at the Allegro. I know the Grand is right next to them so I would imagine the snorkeling from the beach would be similar. The downside to the Presidente is the expense. Beers are $4 usd mixed drinks are $6-$8. We had heard this before we went so we brought a soft side ice chest and went to Chadraui every other day to stock up on booze and snacks. I actually kind of enjoyed that. Also when we stayed at the AI's we rarely left. There are so many good restaraunts in Cozumel that we had never experienced. The Grand is a long and expensive cab ride from town. I won't ever stay that far out of town again. Between the 2 I'd choose the Presidente for location and beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom