Pressed Steel Decision, Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also consider your physical size, air consumption, and types of dives you'll be doing.

I am 5'7" 140lbs, outstanding air consumption. I'll go with the E7-100's if I ever get enough $$$ to put together doubles.
my 2 $/100
steve

First post didn't take, lets see if this one works.

I'm 5'4" and have the E8-130 tank, actually 3 of them. 1 for Nitrox and 2 for air. Easy to dive, just a bit of a pain to haul around for getting fills. Not because of weight, but because I'm short. lol

There are some definite differences in the characteristics of the E-7 and E-8 tanks.

The E-7 tanks tend to orient the diver in a very much head down position. This can be cured by some minor equipment reconfiguration and weight redistribution. However, this can be quite frustrating during the transtion period until you finally come to the right configuration.

I am 5'8", and I dive double E-7 120s. They are great now that I finally have my gear set up to handle them properly. However, I had to play with my kit for a long time to finally get the balance right.

I have the E7-80 & 100. I also have an E7-120 on order.

When I travel, I'm always renting an AL80, which is the same diameter as the E7 seriaes. So I never have to adjust the tank straps for different sizes. That may be a trivial reason to others, but I don't like making the adjustment from 7.25 to 8" dia tanks. I have done it a number of times.

A better consideration is the fact that I'm usually diving with somebody who has an AL80. So the E7-100 gives me a little more air than them in case they've got a better SAC than me. The 119 (or 120) would be more than I need in that situation.

OTOH, if my regular buddy had a 100, I'd be using the 120 most of the time.

WOW,

Thanks for all the great feedback. I guess I forgot some personal info. I am 5'10" at 250lbs and it is not sloppy... yet!!!lol I dive wet in Dutch Springs Quary, no deeper than 100' and an occassional Atlantic Ocean Dive. I don't know what my breathing rate is but with an AL80 I am good for about 50min. Oh, I also dive with a backplate and harness setup so I am ready if needed for doubles in the future.

Let me ask you all this...If you were setting up doubles are the e7-100's overall for most recreational needs the better choice or are the e8-119's? I am just trying to cover as many bases as I can so if i decide in the future to dive doubles I am ready.

Thanks again.

From your choices I'd pick the 119's. However I actually just bought an E-8 130; not too much bigger. Either way you should be happy with your purchase.

I dive Dutch Springs too; and coincidently am 5'10" and 240-250 lbs, so if I see someone about my size wearing a new PST tank, I'll be sure to say hi.

OK, I am almost there, just a few more questions! I will use these tanks primarily for singles as a recreational setup. I am buying two so I do not have to wait to get the tanks filled for my second dive's. Right now I kind of look at it like, If I am paying for a fill why not get the extra 20cf for the same price. The extra air is not a bad thing even if it is not being used. If they would short fill the E7-100's I might only be getting a little more than 80cf of air. With that said....

1.Will I notice a big difference in with the E8-119's 8" tank diameter?

2.Will it create unusual in water characteristics?

3.Are the E8-119's overkill for singles on typical, less than an hour recdives?

4.Is my rational for getting the E8-119's of base?

Thanks for all the input, it has been really making me think.

Brian

Do you typically reach your no decompresion limits before you reach 500 lbs.? How you answer that is the key piece of information you need to decide if the extra air is of any value to you.

liberato:
Do you typically reach your no decompresion limits before you reach 500 lbs.? How you answer that is the key piece of information you need to decide if the extra air is of any value to you.

not quite correct. at 100 fsw you should have a 48 cu ft reserve (which is 1600 psi on an AL80) and if you're hitting that limit with plenty of NDL to spare (particularly on EAN32) then you could use a large steel tank. at 100 fsw, a 500 psi reserve in an AL80 will last somewhere between 1-2 mins if your buddy has an OOA. that is barely enough time to get your **** together at depth, and you'll probably OOA on the way up, and definitely won't make your stop.

bfenne:
If they would short fill the E7-100's I might only be getting a little more than 80cf of air.

I think the Volume at 3000 PSI was 87.? I've seen it in other threads. Remembeer that the AL80 only had 77.? at 3000 so you're still up about 10CF

Meanwhile you're accustomed to the AL80 form factor (Though bouyancy is out to lunch) for times when you're on rentals.

Till I learn otherwise a couple of E-7 100s each is my plan. We don't want to be breathing out of aluminum cylinders. (Ooooo did I start something here?)

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom