pressure gauge location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
On a doubles rig I understand that the pressure gauge is located on my left side clipped to the hip d-ring. Why is this the preferred location (assuming I am correct)? I ask because should I be wearing a deco bottle, the gauge or access to the gauge will be inhibited. I would like to mount it on the right side as I would like to install a hose mounted dive rite duo. I realize I can do whatever I want but was curious as to why?

The gauge is cliped to the hip d-ring, with a little practice there are no problems clipping and un clippin g the gauge with one, two, or even three deco bottles.

The gauge on the right and house mount computer are far from DIR.

There is no right hip d-ring to clip the gauge to, and all instruments are worn on the wrist for easy viewing.

Well, for starters, the right post is the one most likely to freeze up because that's the one you're breathing and inflating your BC with. So you're probably more likely to have to turn off the right post than the left. Second, it would interfere with the canister light on the right side, as well as possibly interefere with or prevent deploying the long hose, since that's down there also. Third, the SPG is more or less a backup for your head, and the general convention appears to be primary stuff on the right, backup stuff on the left. Also, you're using your right hand to hold the scooter handle when using a scooter, so how would you access the SPG without stopping and letting go?

I also agree about the deco bottle. I haven't carried deco or stage bottles, but I have carried pony bottles the same way and getting to the SPG was no problem at all.

I've had no problems getting to my SPG on the right with multiple stage/deco bottles. I have seen people clip it to the left chest d-ring. I'll do this when I'm diving in extremely cold water when I'm wearing mits instead of fingered gloves. This allows me to just look down and see my guage.

But since you posted this in the DIR forum. The DIR answer is that it goes on the hip d-ring for streamlining.

oversea:
On a doubles rig I understand that the pressure gauge is located on my left side clipped to the hip d-ring. Why is this the preferred location (assuming I am correct)? I ask because should I be wearing a deco bottle, the gauge or access to the gauge will be inhibited. ...I realize I can do whatever I want but was curious as to why?
Occasionally answers to questions such as this may sound a bit "because that's the way we do it", unless you have a bit more context. The designated location also includes such factors as:
1. The idea that its a system emphasizing team execution: think of a small tactical team on a combat mission. Same concept - to provide best chance of survival for the entire team, every member is equipped the same in the same location. The (gas and equipment) we carry is not merely "ours" but also the team's. When you must respond in seconds to an emergency, you want to be able to locate the (data or equipment) you need without a whole lot of fumbling around, so everyone's (SPG) is in the same location.
2. Assumptions: you may be on scooters, which require your right hand to operate. Things are positioned so you can get them with your left hand. Right side remains free (which also facilitates deployment of the long hose...) While you may NOT be on scooters (yet), or sometimes yes sometimes no, you rig and execute consistently each and every time. You don't change your rig around depending on one thing or another. Do that and some day you'll find yourself with rig configuration A, but environment B.
3. Your SPG is more a confirmatory data point. You know your consumption rate (because you did your gas plan with it). So you know how much psi per minute you consume. You know your depth. You know how many minutes you've been down. So...you can make a pretty sound estimate as to how much gas you've consumed in that number of minutes. You already know in your head roughly what the gauge will read. You merely glance at it around thirds or so to confirm that consumption is going in accordance with your gas plan, but fundamentally you always already know what remains in the tanks.

There are more factors as well, but you get the idea. It isn't clipped to the left D-ring "just because Jarrod says so".

Thanks for the info. While I am not looking to be DIR, I have adapted some of the ideas as I see fit. I posted here because I figured I'd get a real answer. I currently have it on my left side. As far as the right post being most likely to freeze, that makes the most sense to me as to why not. As far as scooters, I have never even touched one although in the right place, they look like fun. I am trying to sway from wrist mounted equipment only because I find myself reaching into holes for lobsters etc. and they tend to get beat up.

Here's a little exercise for you.

Start thinking through what it means when you have an SPG that doesn't move when it's used in a doubles setup with isolation manifold and on the correct post. Then rethink it when it's not on the correct post. Take your time and thoroughly think it through. If you do, you will have quickly learned one of the reasons it is located where it is.

edit: oops, this was supposed to be a reply to post #1,

salty:
The gauge is cliped to the hip d-ring, with a little practice there are no problems clipping and un clippin g the gauge with one, two, or even three deco bottles.

The gauge on the right and house mount computer are far from DIR.

There is no right hip d-ring to clip the gauge to, and all instruments are worn on the wrist for easy viewing.

Dan Gibson:
Here's a little exercise for you.

Start thinking through what it means when you have an SPG that doesn't move when it's used in a doubles setup with isolation manifold and on the correct post. Then rethink it when it's not on the correct post. Take your time and thoroughly think it through. If you do, you will have quickly learned one of the reasons it is located where it is.

edit: oops, this was supposed to be a reply to post #1,

I understand that it is telling me the isolator is closed but still do not see the relationship between left and right. Oh, btw, my regs are scubapro so I cross em behind me out of the bottom reg port so in terms of routing, I could neatly route the gauge to either side. I currently have it on my left post (while wearing) on the backup reg and routed to the left. I currenly have my DS hose off of my left post and my bc out of my right post. This is so switching to singles is simple by only needing to add a backup to the first stage.

oversea:
I understand that it is telling me the isolator is closed but still do not see the relationship between left and right. Oh, btw, my regs are scubapro so I cross em behind me out of the bottom reg port so in terms of routing, I could neatly route the gauge to either side. I currently have it on my left post (while wearing) on the backup reg and routed to the left. I currenly have my DS hose off of my left post and my bc out of my right post. This is so switching to singles is simple by only needing to add a backup to the first stage.

DIR and hose mounted gauges don't mix. You either dive this way or you don't. Some great explanations have been provided above but your undstanding of the system appears to be too incomplete to get it. So, either invest the time and money to learn how to dive and configure your gear DIR or just go do whatever you want. There simply is not an in-between compromise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom