Preventing webbing from fraying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
For years I have been going over a freshly cut webbing edge with a lighter. And for years the results have been the same: the edge holds for some time and then frying starts. Is there a better method? I noticed that factory glued edges stay intact. Is there a specific temperature/chemical I need to apply? I tried super glue and clear nail polish - close but no cigar.

pvc glue - the stuff for connecting pvc pipes works great, just saturate the last inch with the fuzzy ball applicator and try not to fumigate the garage. I like to make the last inch stiff and hard so it is easier to slide into the buckle, so I do more than just the edge treatment.

pvc glue - the stuff for connecting pvc pipes works great, just saturate the last inch with the fuzzy ball applicator and try not to fumigate the garage. I like to make the last inch stiff and hard so it is easier to slide into the buckle, so I do more than just the edge treatment.
Perfect. Thank you!

For years I have been going over a freshly cut webbing edge with a lighter. And for years the results have been the same: the edge holds for some time and then frying starts. Is there a better method? ...
Well, I cheat a little when I can: We have a wilderness adventure (camping, backpacking, rafting, etc.) store here in this small town. (University town.) After I do the initial rough cut of my webbing, I take it over there, and they finish-cut it using a very hot device they use for cutting climbing harness webbing, etc., which finishes things very nicely.

(I would be surprised if a tack store doesn't have a similar device.)

Otherwise, I do as you do, and use matches or a lighter.

rx7diver

Rubberise it with a polyurethane goop man

But not when you're fraying your eggs man

Get a hot knife. That’s how’s it’s done at most factories
Yep, makes sense.

They're pricey...This one is $250. But I found cheaper ones on eBay.

Bic lighters have always worked for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom