Preventing webbing from fraying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deleted. Sorry, should have put a trigger alert on it.

The world has gotten really complicated when we need a 9 minute video to shown us how to prevent webbing from fraying...just saying.
:facepalm:

I don't think I've ever had webbing fray ever(as in to the point it becomes an issue I worry about). I always cut and bicc'ed them. But about 5 years ago I bought a hot knife on amazon. It definitely does a better job of sealing the ends, but its also super fast

A good trick that work for me is actually burning the line I want to cut with a turbo lighter BEFORE I make the cut. I don't know why it works, but it does.

If you’re cheap like me, the poor man’s hot knife is to heat up a utility knife blade with a lighter/blowtorch/stovetop until it’s glowing red. Makes for a very good clean cut.

You can also use a soldering iron with a sacrificial tip - works well for melting holes in webbing etc, but requires a little more finesse to get straight cuts.

Old hacksaw blade, a leather glove and a gas burner -- works like a charm every time.

After you make the cut, lay the hot blade on both sides of the webbing to "cauterize" about 1/4" so it lasts much longer before fraying.

Flat edge soldering iron allows you create a smooth melted border along the edge. Better than a lighter. No lumps, blobs, fraying or other. One time going strong 25 years.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom