Primary donation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's extremely likely to just come off your neck. WORST case, you turn to your left to free the hose. Wow. Problem solved.

Here is my point of view...

Once again, this is about having the primary ripped from your mouth unexpectedly.

Since it is coming from around your neck, the length of the hose is constrained by the fact that is comes from around your nec; therefore, it is a very short hose. I am picturing someone (non-team member) coming from the right blind spot, and grabbing the regulator and yanking on it.

If you are telling me that the hose will slip over your head and free up the additional length across your chest, then I'll accept that. At the moment (sitting at my desk), I don't see it as being that easy for all situations.

It's just not a big deal, I expect that most of the time the hose would just slide up over the back of your head. Remember that the hose comes up your chest and around the back of your neck, it does not circle your neck like a noose.

Thanks for the preparation tip, but that wasn't in the question.

Would the hose not cause any other issues if it was ripped from your mouth unexpectedly? And by unexpectedly, I would guess the "donating" diver would be stunned for a second at the suden loss of the regulator and not duck his/her head.

No ... not at all. This was demonstrated to me rather forcefully a few months back by my cave instructor. I had no clue it was coming, nor any time to react until I felt the reg get removed from my mouth. I barely had to do anything at all except remember to remove the part that was tucked under the canister. But by then he was breathing off my reg and I had first put my backup into my own mouth.

Bottom line is that in practice a great many of the things that have been described in these many recent threads on the subject turn out not to be a problem at all (indeed, I think most objections have come from people who are overthinking the problem and have never, in practice, actually tried a long hose).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Gentlemen, some of the previous posts are getting a bit close to the line. Please keep the posturing and insults in check if you wish to continue participating in the discussion.

It's just not a big deal, I expect that most of the time the hose would just slide up over the back of your head. Remember that the hose comes up your chest and around the back of your neck, it does not circle your neck like a noose.

I understand the routing. My problem with "working it out" was that I was sitting at my desk (i.e. vertical). In a horizontal position, I can see how this wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks everyone for the follow-up comments.

Desks'll do it to ya every time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom