Primer in May and fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I switched from my splits to my Jets, I thought the Mafia had put me in concrete boots and was trying to kill me :) Stiff blade fins feel very different, but you will get used to it. It is much easier to learn the kicks with the stiffer fins (or at least, it was for me).

When you're deploying the long hose underwater, be sure you are dropping your head. It's VERY easy to get into the habit of grabbing the hose and pushing it backwards to create a loop instead, and that will come back to bite you big-time if you ever dive doubles, because the loop will catch in the manifold. Of course, I have no personal experience of this . . . :D

Thanks Lynn,

Thinking back, I bet it was my head and not bending it that kept me from doing it right. It will take time getting used to these fins. They feel like blocks on your feet compared to the split fins.

In 2 weekends I will be heading out to the quarry for my AOW and the first dive will be PPB. 16# seems to work for me to allow to hold a stop. I will have them really work with me on this and get it down better and try and figure out where all the weight should be. I no longer put any weight in my trim pockets (yes, still in a traditional BC) because I turn into a turtle. It will be a small group, 3 of us. With 6 dives total over the 2 days. I should be able to get in some good practice during the weekend.

Another weighting question. I can get my weight down pretty good at the beginning of the dive, again with a full tank. It is at the end of the dives that I stuggle to remain down. But if I put the 5# extra to make up for the air that I would use, I sink like a rock. What am I doing wrong here?

Depending on the tank you're using this is roughly correct (most tanks holding about 5lbs worth of gas). So yes you are 5lbs "heavy" at the start if you plan to be very close to neutral at the end with 4-500psi in your tank.

Weight yourself for neutral at the end of the dive and use your wing to compensate for the weight of the gas in your full tank at the beginning. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom