Pristine Reefs of Southern Mindanao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think they have the same warning about Canada...:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

from the US state department

January 27, 2009

The State Department warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to the southern Philippine islands of Mindanao and the Sulu Archipelago and urges extreme caution if traveling there. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning dated February 13, 2008, and updates information on continuing threats due to terrorist and insurgent activities.

Travelers should exercise extreme caution if traveling in the central and western portions of the island of Mindanao, as well as in the islands of the Sulu Archipelago. Regional terrorist groups have carried out bombings resulting in injuries and death. Since August 2008, there have been sporadic clashes between lawless groups and the Philippine Armed Forces in the Mindanao provinces of North Cotabato, Lanao del Sur and Lanao del Norte, as well as the Sulu Archipelago. Kidnap for ransom gangs are active and have targeted foreigners. U.S. Government employees must seek special permission for travel to Mindanao or the Sulu Archipelago. Travelers to these areas should remain vigilant and avoid congregating in public areas. Some foreigners who reside in or visit Mindanao and the Sulu Archipelago hire their own security.

Sounds safe

As a US citizen, I will certainly agree that I find the travel warnings of the US State Dept. to be overly protective. The current situation in Mindanao is described in a much more realistic way in WWD's post #18. The US State Dept warning does at least make some effort to distinguish between the different parts of Mindanao "if traveling in the central and western portions of the island of Mindanao, as well as in the islands of the Sulu Archipelago". But overall it makes it sound as if the whole island could be a lawless nest of terrorists, that is simply not the case. The diving areas being discussed here are in Southern Mindanao, and are not areas to avoid.

I have been visiting parts of Mindanao for the past 4 years, with around 12 months time spent there total. Most of this time has been spent around Davao and General Santos, and also a road trip from Davao to Surigao Del Norte. Never have I felt unsafe, it is actually one of my favorite parts of the Philippines to visit. The diving is excellent, as shown by WWD, and I have met friendly faces and made many friends.

January 27, 2009

The State Department warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to the southern Philippine islands of Mindanao and the Sulu Archipelago and urges extreme caution if traveling there. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning dated February 13, 2008, and updates information on continuing threats due to terrorist and insurgent activities.

Travelers should exercise extreme caution if traveling in the central and western portions of the island of Mindanao, as well as in the islands of the Sulu Archipelago. Regional terrorist groups have carried out bombings resulting in injuries and death. Since August 2008, there have been sporadic clashes between lawless groups and the Philippine Armed Forces in the Mindanao provinces of North Cotabato, Lanao del Sur and Lanao del Norte, as well as the Sulu Archipelago. Kidnap for ransom gangs are active and have targeted foreigners. U.S. Government employees must seek special permission for travel to Mindanao or the Sulu Archipelago. Travelers to these areas should remain vigilant and avoid congregating in public areas. Some foreigners who reside in or visit Mindanao and the Sulu Archipelago hire their own security.

Sounds safe
I'm sure the US State Department information is completely accurate and NOT written by someone sitting behind a cozy desk in their swanky Manila-based embassy office.... :wink: It's easy to take a peak inside from the outside.

But to be honest, I don't blame them - seeing how the average tourist is (not necessarily American), I wouldn't want them in that area anyway. These are the tourists who are inclined to believe what the US State Department writes. If you want to eat up that report, I recommend you take a look at Subic, Mactan Cebu, or Boracay instead.

If you feel adventurous and take that road less traveled by, I'd recommend Davao or Gen San in a heart beat.

That'll be a typical Friday night at the Coogee Bay hotel. I'm sure Veitch would vouch for that...

January 27, 2009

Sounds safe

Actually, I seem to remember the Aus Govt putting out similar warnings for travel to the USA, not so long ago...

Z...

I live near DC. Funny thing is you travel 10 miles from the state department to SE DC and you'll be in an area I would not be caught dead without my "own security". Wonder if they have any bulletins about that...

There is a place called Cap San Agustin in Davao Oriental where our good friend Ernesto 'Bebot' Santa Cruz is at the moment. It is remote, beautiful and has the potential to become the next Tubbataha (Bebot's own words, and he is widely regarded as 'The Father' of Tubbataha).

The Cape has a large reef off the tip comprising of two joined-up atols and is approx 2.5 kilometers along each side. It is the place where the Pacific meets the Celebes Sea and is rich in marine life including dolphin, whales, hammerhead and manta. The diving here is 'wild' - the best drifts anywhere we have experienced in the World - like Pelileu Express but it just goes on and on..

The area is also rich in WWII shipwrecks and there are local tales of several crashed aircraft. Check out USN Ships--USS Seawolf (SS-197) -- Actions and Activities which describes how one of the most famous hunter-killer US subs - the Seawolf - sank this ship + two others at the same time in one of the most famous attacks in the subs illustrious history (incudes some nice periscope shots). We have been to the GPS location reported by the Seawolf and saw good evidence that the Gifu Maru rests there. They await a small team of trimix divers to go there and check this out.

We have visited the area three times - the last time we just charted a dive banca from Frank, Davao Scuba and went there with a few friends, nitrox, compressor and good food. It takes 8 hours to get there across the Davao Gulf. We slept on the banca looked over by our friends at Barangay Lavigan.

The biggest problem that we experienced was finding enough people back in Davao to take the coconuts from us that had been given to us a gifts.

This is just an example of the possibilities and potential that Mindanao has to offer.

There will always be people who like travelling to more developed and established dive resorts/areas - that's fine. However, it's important to remember that all of these places were just like Mindanao at some time in the past.

I wonder how many people out there would really like to take the opportunity to travel to this area to do this kind of diving - irrespective of travel advisories.

That said - remember, it's OK to come now if you are French:wink:.

Here in Gen San and Davao I do not know any forigners who employ rtheir own security except for the standard showpiece house guard!
If the people who say it is so unsafe, maybe they would change their minds about the area if they ever bothered to visit the place!
There is more security problems in Manila, the safe area where all the people who say do not go here live, they should really look into their own security rather than punishing us with what they think we should do to keep safe!

wow, such defensiveness and american slamming.

By now, this topic is completely different from the OP, but unless we're talking about another place called 'southern mindinao', then apparently I have a different definition of "safe". Its always in the news about conflicts, kidnappings, heck someone even threw a few grenades at people in front of a Jollibee somewhere there a couple months ago. Either that was terrorism, or they didnt feel like using the comment-box.

Lookie, heres another one today: BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Sri Lankan seized in Philippines

When militants are killed, soldiers are killed, and lots of wounding - well guys, I wouldnt consider that safe. But then again, they keep saying Boracay is completely safe although a good number were killed last year, property dispute shootouts in tourist areas, and the tourists pulled out of a tear-gassing event 3 months ago. But thats just me... :wink:

As far as private security guards, I know 2 people there now as PSD's.

But to get it back on topic... I've heard some really good stuff about the diving down there. Seen some pretty sweet pics and would like to go... but in all honesty, it's reputation is likely restricting a ton of business. I can honestly say that as much as I completely believe the OP's description, I'm not planning on going there anytime soon. I didnt see anything posted that was untrue, but I did see some "dont you americans dare point your finger at us" comments. Are there kidnappings? yes, are there regular acts of violence? yes. does this happen everywhere and all the time? certainly not... but that still easily qualifies it as a place for vigilance.

Last edited:
I've lived in Mindanao for a few months and routinely travelled throughout Central Mindanao and even out to GENSAN and Davao. I personnally don't think its that dangerous of a place. Yes, it does have a wild wild west type feel, with the government not really controlling things but not dangerous.
I've also lived in Manila and I believe Manila to be more dangerous, just because of corruption and crime.

I would think providing some information on what kind of infastructure is in place to support a dive vacation would help your promotion of diving in Mindanao.

I am sitting here wondering why I should even take a risk to Mindanao. Risk getting snatched off the streets or you wake up at 3am to find some dudes standing over you in your hotel room? All for a pristine reef to dive at? The last trip (years ago) I was scheduled to take there, they blew up the ferry.

If you go, post some pics. I'm sure it's beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom