Private Boat - Emergency O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slowly opening the tank valve while using an O2 compatible tank and regulator will reduce (but won’t eliminate) the risk of accidental combustion. Fuel vapors at the stern of your boat has the potential to compound the three components necessary for an incendiary agent. O2 is for emergencies—whether it’s for you or others—don’t squander it. A hang tank with 32% (valve shut) at 20 feet will suffice for prolonged safety stops.

The oxygen in both tanks is the same. There is no moisture added to medical oxygen in the bottle. Moisture is sometimes added within the hospital plumbing to the wall taps but never in the bottle.
The only difference between those two tanks is aviator is tested and guaranteed to be dry.they remove the moisture from it.
The oxygen in both tanks is the same. There is no moisture added to medical oxygen in the bottle. Moisture is sometimes added within the hospital plumbing to the wall taps but never in the bottle.
The only difference between those two tanks is aviator is tested and guaranteed to be dry.
I’ll bet the next thing you’re going to tell me is welding oxygen is the same too…

Take it back n the water with you. Better yet, have it handed down to you.
Breathing off a hose or a tank hung from the from the boat is stupid. Especially a small one. If you have any issues with current or waves it will be a total Charlie Foxtrot.
We kept an 80 ready at all times as we were diving multiple dives over multiple days in > rec depth most of the time.

If you are going to hang a weighted regulator from your boat I would advise that it should be suitably rigged to avoid any possibility of the hose becoming entangled with the boat's propellor should someone decide to move the boat while the reg is deployed or due to other means.

I would also attach a very visible "thing" to it in dayglo orange or yellow so that it is visible in low vis conditions.

Finally, I wouldn't use anything higher than EAN50. Using 100% can have different effects on people at depth and you don't want an Oxtox situation whilst wearing a normal scuba set up, a full face mask should be worn when breathing 100%.

Now I know we all breath 100% during planned deco dives, but these are planned uses of 100% and the use is calculated into our gas management and O2 calculations. However, for an unplanned event of using a deployed gas I would use EAN50 or less. If you regularly use EAN32 then why not one of these tanks and it's not an additional hassle.

That said, keep a reasonable sized tank of 100% on the boat. When I was doing regular tech dives we normally had two 80s with 100%.

I’ll bet the next thing you’re going to tell me is welding oxygen is the same too…
It is all the same.
Welding oxygen also has the highest purity standards.

It is all the same.
Welding oxygen also has the highest purity standards.
Higher than research grade?
Impressive…

Since you specifically stated you now dive within NDL's, and you are an aging hippie, I will second (or 3d....) the "keep the O2 on the boat". The majority of the "issues" you may no encounter will have more to do with age than the dive itself.

For example, going up the line at the end of the dive you start getting a dull ache in your left arm...oh no you say, I may be bent.....lucky I have O2 at 20'.....wrong, you're having a heart attack, O2 at 20 feet will do you no good.

Get on the boat, get on O2, call someone who can help you.

Higher than research grade?
Impressive…
Now you are just being silly.
Yes, research grade or UHP has a higher purity rating. It must test to five nines.
It also isn't commonly available in bulk that you would use for diving purposes.
Industrial grade must test at 99.7
Aviator and medical both need to exceed 95%

Locally, everything is decanted from liquid O2 and all will test nearly pure.
Not all places are the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom