Private Boat - Emergency O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine is a little different; it is a multifunction O2 reg fitted to a DIN connector. Plug in a mask or two and provide...
20220407_171512.jpg

So before I get to my point, since this is my thread….please let me provide a little history and overall philosophy. I'm just an old hippie boomer retired instructor who dives primarily solo with a 120 HP and a back mounted 19 pony up here in the PAC Northwest, BC, Neah Bay, etc. . And by solo.... I mean that my very selective pals and I agree that our plan if we get separated while hunting is that we focus on getting our limits and then meet back at the boat in about an hour from our descent time. I have a 24ft boat (Hewescraft Ocean Pro) and have it totally set up for diving, fishing, crabbing, prawning, etc. Yes…. I am a Carnivore and love fresh seafood! I am selective and merciful and prefer the hunt over paying Costco to murder my seafood for me. As I get a bit older (push’n 70) I want to add a bit of safety to my boat.
You are way over focused on doing IWR as a recreational diver (bad idea but)...

Your real risks are: your age, diving solo, in the middle of nowhere, potentially getting swept away by currents in mysterious directions, nobody even starting to look for you for at least an hour.

Rather than messing around with all this IWR stuff just have 2 hours of surface O2 available and spend the rest of your money on an AED (and hope you don't ever need it).

Q: Is it true that medical and welder’s oxygen differs from aviation oxygen?​

A: There are no different grades of oxygen being produced or contained in cylinders under DOT regulations.​

Contrary to common myth ~ medical oxygen contained in a medical cylinder is no different than that contained in a cylinder marked aviators oxygen or otherwise. Furthermore, because of the chemical nature of oxygen it must be as pure and dry from water as possible if stored under pressure. Oxygen is produced to be better than 99.9% pure, if not damage or contamination will result to equipment. Oxygen even holding the slightest amount of water moisture~ which is added during delivery for medical and industrial purposes may have helped to cause confusion in the industry. As far as the FDA is concerned any oxygen cylinder marked as USP or medical is a drug, and has to be held~ dispensed~ and used under strict medical protocols outlined by the FDA and cannot be lawfully used for aviation purposes. Oxygen cylinders labeled as AVO, which is aviator’s oxygen, or otherwise is not under the auspices of the FDA and are lawfully used for aviation purposes.

(Reprinted from the Compressed Gas Association)

Q: Is it true that medical and welder’s oxygen differs from aviation oxygen?​

A: There are no different grades of oxygen being produced or contained in cylinders under DOT regulations.​

Contrary to common myth ~ medical oxygen contained in a medical cylinder is no different than that contained in a cylinder marked aviators oxygen or otherwise. Furthermore, because of the chemical nature of oxygen it must be as pure and dry from water as possible if stored under pressure. Oxygen is produced to be better than 99.9% pure, if not damage or contamination will result to equipment. Oxygen even holding the slightest amount of water moisture~ which is added during delivery for medical and industrial purposes may have helped to cause confusion in the industry. As far as the FDA is concerned any oxygen cylinder marked as USP or medical is a drug, and has to be held~ dispensed~ and used under strict medical protocols outlined by the FDA and cannot be lawfully used for aviation purposes. Oxygen cylinders labeled as AVO, which is aviator’s oxygen, or otherwise is not under the auspices of the FDA and are lawfully used for aviation purposes.

(Reprinted from the Compressed Gas Association)
Now that that’s settled that, is there anything left to discuss?

The OP said they limit their dives to double digit depths, non-deco, and breathing 32%. On what planet would those be considered deep aggressive dives? There is no need for in-water O2 for these types of dives. We make similar dives on our boat and keep a DAN O2 kit onboard.
Ok so 70 year old diving solo to 99 feet in cold water.. Maybe that is aggressive maybe not-- also depends on how many times he does that each day.

I think the individual who is risking his spinal cord (and the rest of his body) has the right (and responsibility) to determine if having 100% oxygen available under the boat is needed (or desirable). Who are you to say this is "not needed" ?

Is this opinion based on YOUR body and your risk profile? Aren't you the kind of nut who still does 100-mile bike rides for fun?

You might be far, far different than some fat old 70 year old who is trying to squeak out a few more years on the water.

Merry will be 74 soon. Most of our dives are between 65-85 feet, sometimes a little deeper. She takes care of herself in the water, climbs the ladder in full gear, and doesn't require O2 after each dive. Diving is not as risky as you have been led to believe. Statistically, it's safer than golf and bowling. As for 100 mile bike rides, I do that for exercise. There is nothing fun about it.

PPO2<1.4 is very unlikely to cause any O2 toxicity; PPO2>1.6 -- given sufficient time, measured probably in minutes, not seconds -- is likely to cause O2 toxicity. That range from 1.4 to 1.6 (111 to 132 ft for 32%) is a contingency zone. Best to stay out of it without good reason and training.
I agree with you. Would you then agree that its a good idea to not have 100% @20' without good reason and training? Not trying to start an argument, just trying to see if you think the logic holds for 100% at 20' considering the hang time. However I also defer to people smarter than me who say if you're resting, the chances are lower of oxtox with 100% at 20'

I think your last phrase is the important part - good reason and trained to do so.

Thanks for your feedback, learning is a constant for me.

I agree with you. Would you then agree that its a good idea to not have 100% @20' without good reason and training? Not trying to start an argument, just trying to see if you think the logic holds for 100% at 20' considering the hang time. However I also defer to people smarter than me who say if you're resting, the chances are lower of oxtox with 100% at 20'

I think your last phrase is the important part - good reason and trained to do so.

Thanks for your feedback, learning is a constant for me.
This thread is rather unclear on the necessity for the O2 at 20 ft. If it were necessary, I would not hesitate to do it/use it....but I am trained and experienced.

Reactions: ecp
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom