Pro Dive, Fort Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is sad because, despite what you see on the Internet, Prodive never cut corners with their training. They were by the letter and to the book with all levels of training. Prodive was always stringent about standards. (Of course we know many of you dont agree with the book or letter. Please dont rehash that here).

I still contend the land is going to be developed as that is one expensive piece of real estate. What makes more sense- continue a 7 day week business that does OK or sell the land in the heart of Fort Lauderdale Beach RIGHT on the intercostal and minutes from Port Lauderdale, let someone build luxury condos, and retire very rich? I have no idea if Prodive onwed or rented the property, but I would bet it has been sold to a builder.

This is all speculation....but it would make sense...afterall there are not nearly enough condos in Florida :wink:.

It is sad because, despite what you see on the Internet, Prodive never cut corners with their training. They were by the letter and to the book with all levels of training. (Of course we know many of you dont agree with the book or letter. Please dont rehash that here).

I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I admire and respect what they have done. I ran my flight school the same way that PD ran it's dive school. It's the other shops in the area that will lower the bar in their absense.

I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I admire and respect what they have done. I ran my flight school the same way that PD ran it's dive school. It's the other shops in the area that will lower the bar in their absense.

Oops. Sorry. I didnt mean to quote you. I was just talking in general. My bad. Ill edit the post.

What a sad thing to read. I worked for Greg and Lauren briefly many years ago when they had a shop at Hillsboro Inlet, and their accidental skiing death was a tragedy. They left behind a beautiful little boy.

I mostly worked for UnderSeas Sports back when I was instructing, and we used Pro Diver vessels almost exclusively for our training. Capt. Bill Cole ran their boats and they made it so safe and easy for instructors, even with large numbers of students. Pro Dive surely was a local institution and even though I haven't been a recent customer, I'll miss them.

The only remaining 5-Star IDC in Ft Lauderdale is Scuba Emporium Florida, owned by Platinum Course Director Patrick Hammer. The Director of Training for Scuba Emporium Florida is Platinum Course Director Richard Hartley, aka the Commander. He left Pro Dive over a year ago after having been in charge of training for Pro Dive for over ten years. Lowering the bar? On the contrary.

The only remaining 5-Star IDC in Ft Lauderdale is Scuba Emporium Florida, owned by Platinum Course Director Patrick Hammer. The Director of Training for Scuba Emporium Florida is Platinum Course Director Richard Hartley, aka the Commander. He left Pro Dive over a year ago after having been in charge of training for Pro Dive for over ten years. Lowering the bar? On the contrary.

Where the heck did you read anything that said SEF is lowering the bar? Reread the posts and catch the drift.

We dive with them at lease 4 or 5 times, two times a year for the last 5 years. We are going to miss them. And captain Stu. They almost always went out, even when the seas were too rough for the other dive boats. But I did notice that the last year they did not go out on rough sea like they use too before. Was in because of the accident? It was a nice location for their shop.

Scuba Emporium (from Chicago) bought Dave Inman's Diver's Unlimited shop, another well regarded PADI Instructor Development Facility and with Pro Dive closing their doors, I'd think the industry "shake out" is over and things will return to normal.

I did not know the commander was there. He was awesome at Pro Dive. I had heard he was going to take over a CDC in the Keys, but I guess he stayed put in Fort Lauderdale. Good to know.

Just my .02 cents but my guess is with the downturn taking place in the economy right now, the shakeout has only just begun. Some facilities never fully recovered from the dot.com bust and have been hobbling along on a wing and a prayer since then.

Another storm is on the horizon and it won't be good for a lot of shops, both new and older.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom