Pro Plus X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple pictures of Pro Plus X from my LDS for anyone who is interested. Few divers I know are very interested to get one when available.

DEMA 2015 PRO PLUS (1).jpg

DEMA 2015 PRO PLUS (2).jpg

Any specs out for it yet? In the photos the TFT display appears to be an improvement over VTX (A300CS) OLED display and hopefully it can be read in sunlight. After the VTX the first question I have is what kind of battery and how long does it last on full brightness between charges. Additionally on the rechargable battery is it integral or can you hot swap it with spares on a trip with limited access to chargers?

Big question is how the interface intuitively compares to the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt (which it resembles). I wonder how many of these Oceanic will sell. Some thoughts...

1.) Pretty expensive for a console. I'm not saying it's not worth it.

2.) It's cheaper than, but approaching the cost range of, a Cobalt.

3.) A lot of newer divers would opt for a cheaper computer.

4.) A lot of the more advanced divers posting on this forum favor wrist computers, whether A.I. or not, judging from posts I've seen.

5.) More advanced (or just gear loving?) divers who want a higher end console may consider the Cobalt.

So, I wonder just how the 2 will stack up?

Richard.

I have the Pro Plus 3 and I like the easy to read screen and it has worked flawlessly but... it is so big and bulky. With the attached compass I find it to be too big. Hopefully the Pro Plus X has a good built in digital compass? I removed the compass from my PP3 to make it a bit more streamlined but it is still a nuisance especially when climbing aboard, donning and doffing. I recently purchased a used OCi with a transmitter. I am hoping I will have more or less the same information with less bulk.

Love my PP2 and the price (around $300) was appropriate, IMO. Anything beyond $300 opens up the old "analyze it to death" syndrome. As a rec diver I don't mind the console, even if it is larger than an SPG, I get more data/info/feedback for slightly more real estate.

I have the Pro Plus 3 and I like the easy to read screen and it has worked flawlessly but... it is so big and bulky. With the attached compass I find it to be too big. Hopefully the Pro Plus X has a good built in digital compass? I removed the compass from my PP3 to make it a bit more streamlined but it is still a nuisance especially when climbing aboard, donning and doffing. I recently purchased a used OCi with a transmitter. I am hoping I will have more or less the same information with less bulk.
Hey Yellowdog, you do know you can remove the compass. I did that with my PP3 and was surprised at the weight and size reduction. Oceanic has a handle you can install for $10.00

An example that you can't please everyone. One of the things I liked about the Pro Plus 2 was the analog compass, because I've not been a fan of digital.

Richard.

2.) It's cheaper than, but approaching the cost range of, a Cobalt.

3.) A lot of newer divers would opt for a cheaper computer.

According to my LDS, it is priced at $1499. His argument is taking into consideration you don't need to buy a compass, USB cable, and quick disconnect kit, price is comparable. But I agree if it is really going to be $1499, it is kind of expensive.

He also told me Oceanic will continue to sell Pro Plus 3.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom