Pro QD with I3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would make it more POSITIVE since the corrugated hose is negative.
Have you actually removed a corrugated hose, plugged the ends with something neutrally buoyant and tested this theory?

I realize that it hangs down -- but that's the inflator mechanism that is negative (which we're not giving up -- it's moved down to the hip and off a hose). I suspect you'd find that the the hose itself is actually positively buoyant.

Have you actually removed a corrugated hose, plugged the ends with something neutrally buoyant and tested this theory?

I suspect you'd find that the the hose itself is actually positively buoyant.

Take a hose, drop it in a pool, and then as you are looking at it at it on the bottom of the pool, you can determine for yourself whether it's actually positively bouyant.

This of course refers to the inherent negative bouyancy of the hose, not a hose closed off and filled with air.

Take a hose, drop it in a pool, and then as you are looking at it at it on the bottom of the pool, you can determine for yourself whether it's actually positively bouyant.

This of course refers to the inherent negative bouyancy of the hose, not a hose closed off and filled with air.
:rolleyes:

And if you had actually followed that our concern was whether the BCD was buoyant... you'd understand that we're talking about a piece that, in normal circumstances, will be sealed and filled with air.

Heck... I'm pretty sure if I took the corrugated hose off my BC, the BC itself would be negatively buoyant, too. :p

Wow,

Bee's are attracted to honey, moths are attracted to light... And now I can say, whenever the i3 appears on this board the attraction of RJP is sure to be... :)

MG

Wow,

Bee's are attracted to honey...

Yup, bees leave their hive each morning and fly all over the countryside in search of honey.

Hey, wait a minute...

:shakehead:

Just to add another positive i3 experience here...

I bought the ProQD/i3 back in March, replacing my 1980's-vintage U.S. Divers BC. I've been diving with it nearly every weekend since then, about 14 dives.

Mostly I think Mike hit on everything in his prior post, so I won't repeat all that. My own observations are:

• Regarding how it feels when it inflates, it does not squeeze like my old USD BC. Mostly it inflates in the back and a little around the sides, almost none over the shoulders. In fact, rather than squeezing, it feels more like it wants to open up in front a bit.

• Because of this "opening up" as it inflates, and because I wanted my left hand free to use the inflation lever, I chose to hang my computer (Sherwood Wisdom, air integrated) from the right side, and this has worked well.

• The LDS where I got mine (Seminole Scuba, Lake Mary FL) offered to install the AquaLung AirSource 3 integrated alternate for free with purchase, which replaces the oral inflator and acts as your alternate/octopus. This provides the option of using the more traditional inflator/deflator on the AirSource; I don't use it that way, but I like the fact that if my buddy had to inflate my BC for me, they wouldn't even have to know about the lever.

• On other threads I read concern about the lever getting bumped. While that is a possibility, nevertheless the lever sits where the BC kind of curves under below the integrated weight pouch and is thus moderately protected. However, I am not discounting that this may be a more serious concern for someone diving frequently in more of an overhead or cave environment... but aren't all those techie guys using a BP/W setup anyway? The only time I end up bumping the lever accidentally is on the dive boat when setting up my gear (because it's sitting on the bench).

• I do really like the way that a push down on the lever opens all the valves at once. Basically, no matter my orientation, if I press the lever, I'm headed down! However, I've noticed I actually end up with less water in my BC at the end of the dive than my old USD BC, although I'm at a loss to explain why, since it seems like one of the valves would be taking in water while the other vents air.

• Other than that, it's just a well-made BC. I did have the manual dump pull-cord come out in my hands when testing it the other week, but it looks like it just wasn't tied on tightly, a trip to my LDS should fix that for good.

Oh, someone asked about what you would do in a runaway inflation scenario with the i3. Since the same lever controls the action, I would of course try pressing the lever down first, which should open up the valves. If not, a pull on the AirSource opens the jet dump just like a regular BC. Not sure if that's true with the manual inflator, however. And there's always the manual dump cord (if it hasn't come off on you... :D).

>*< Fritz

I just bought one!! Can't wait to dive with it this weekend.
I looked at a lot of BC I think its one of the best out there. The testers at Scubadive.com Mag gave it the highest rating in the the BC reviews.

Go try one at your LDS.

Tried one in the pool this past weekend, along with my wife who tried her brand new i3 Pearl (under the agreement that she could exchange it if she didn't like it). She's keeping hers and I purchased the Pro QD. We'll both test them out heavily in Bonaire next week and I'll post our impressions when we get back. Obviously the impressions from the pool went well. :wink:

The inflator hose has a huge rubber grip on it. Now that I've seen it I'm not worried about disconnecting it in the case of runaway ascent.

We decided to go with octo's rather than hooking up an Air3 or some such. Since we always dive together as a buddy team the concern of showing somebody the equipment every time we dive is lessened.

Tried one in the pool this past weekend, along with my wife who tried her brand new i3 Pearl (under the agreement that she could exchange it if she didn't like it). She's keeping hers and I purchased the Pro QD. We'll both test them out heavily in Bonaire next week and I'll post our impressions when we get back. Obviously the impressions from the pool went well. :wink:

The inflator hose has a huge rubber grip on it. Now that I've seen it I'm not worried about disconnecting it in the case of runaway ascent.

We decided to go with octo's rather than hooking up an Air3 or some such. Since we always dive together as a buddy team the concern of showing somebody the equipment every time we dive is lessened.

I hope to hear about your trials in the Ocean... My wife also purchased the Pearl i3, but is away in Mexico... Once she comes back she starts her classes... I'll keep you posted...

I in the mean time love my Pro QD i3... I have close to 50 dives on it and all is going great...

Following up, I got my ProQD/i3 valve fixed and everything is going well with it again.

I did come up with a useful add-on: I attached a stainless quick-link (like a chain segment that has a threaded side to it) to the little sewn-in strap that goes beneath the tank mounting plate and connects the lumbar pad to the back of the BC. Now I have somewhere out-of-the-way to keep that big DAN safety sausage!

I do wish it had a crotch strap, however. I do a lot of amateur photography underwater and find it useful to spend time upside-down, or in other positions where the BC currently tends to want to slide up on me. Looking at the tank mounting plate when I was attaching that quick-link, I noticed several pre-drilled holes in it, so now I'm wondering about the feasibility of adding a strap to it myself, going from the tank mounting plate, under the crotch, and connecting to the click-strap over the cummerbund.

Of course I'll post it to the board if I manage to do it!

>*< Fritz

Back
Top Bottom