Probe or Excursion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vanduse1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving on an old Scubapro BC bought around 1995 and it is time to finally change to something new. It has a few small leaks that have been managable but I am not going to get it replaced.

Since I have not dove with either BC style before I'm a little confused on what I should go with. I have read a bunch on back inflate vs. jacket style. I have only been able to try on the Probe at my shop as they currently don't have any Excursions in stock.

I am leaving on a trip to Cozumel soon and would like to have the new BCD with me. I currently only do rec diving, however, I am considering doing my divemaster class here shortly.

How about pockets, accessories, etc. I see the comparision chart online but it isn't too helpfull without seeing the Excursion.

Anyone, have an opinion or advice when making a decision?

I have had a probe for four years now. It is an excellent bc for DM's. Lots of pockets for things like slates, defog, spare mask strap, etc. The excursion has one drop down pocket that I'm not a fan of. Both are excellent bc's. The excursion is 2 lbs lighter than the probe. THe probe is a heavy duty bc that will last a long time. I would however with today's luggage restrictions never take it on a trip. THe excursion packs smaller. It also, depending on the size, has more lift than the probe. Not a big deal if you are properly weighted but a fact nonetheless. Materials used are the same and the probe has 2 more drings. Again not a big deal. WHich one you choose is up to you. BUt if I had to pick one for travel it would be the excursion. For DM the probe. The excursion will work for DM class but to me it is not as versatile as the probe because of the storage options on it. If you go to the website you can pull up a comparison chart. Ignore the double cylinder info which states that it's an option. It may be but I would never try it. THey are not designed for it and neither would be a stable enough platform. Sorry but that's my honest assesment. BTW in open water as a DM and now instructor I dive a Backplate and Wing. It is also the best travel option.

Thanks for the info. You bring up an interesting point about traveling with the BCD. I have considered the weight and will probably do 2 trips or so a year to somewhere warm. I thought about the Islander 2 but it doesn't have much for pockets, etc. I think I am going to go with the probe and bite the bullet on the travel portion. The 50Lb weight limit does suck.

I've been diving the Excursion for 2 years now and I absolutely love it. It has plenty of D-rings for rec diving. Only one pocket though. But the pocket is big enough to carry stuff in. The biggest advantage to me is the fact that the Excursion is a back inflate BC while the Probe is a Jacket BC.
After diving both, I prefer the back inflate style as you do not feel as cramped in as you do with a jacket style one. But that might be a personal preference though.

I would really try to get a hold of an Excursion and do a dive with it to feel the difference.

I dive and travel with the Probe. I switched over from a Scubapro Double Black bought back in the late 80's, which I loved and had hundreds of dives on. I love my Probe, it has more adjustments and you can get it to fit just right. I started diving in the late 60's, cave diving in the 70's and we scoffed at back inflate and wings for years. That silly bias led me to buy another jacket style BC because that is what I was comfortable with. I wish I had gotten a BP/Wings. Your bouyancy and feeling of freedom will be much better with wings. The Probe IMO is still a great jacket style BC with a ton of features. I pack my regulator, mask, BC in an Akona Rolling carry on. Weight is about 23 lbs and I put it in the overhead. So the travel weight thing isn't an issue on most airlines. If I was you, I would try a BP/Wing before I made this purchase decision.

DH absolutely loves his Probe!

He's a very large man - 6'5", 290 lbs, and finding a BC that fit comfortably proved to be a very difficult exercise. He started with a jacket style, then went to a back-mount, and wanted to go back to the jacket after a few years.

I have to agree that it's a heavy BCD, and it takes up a lot of room and weight in the suitcase when we're traveling. We do a lot of diving off cruise ships, and it can be a real challenge to rinse it out in a cruise ship shower.

That being said, I wish I had one for all the rings in the right places, and the double pockets. The only problem he has with it is the weight pockets tend to come out towards the end of the dive if they are not set just right.

The most important thing is that he loves it and is comfortable. :D

Wendy

Being at the few "extra pounds" part of my life I enjoy the freedom that a back mount BCD allows.
I have gone through the gamut of BCDs since getting certified (in a horsecollar). I personally prefer the excursion BCD because of how light it is compared to the jacket style BCDs. It has ample places to hang things within easy reach and I don't feel like I have to reach around myself plus a bladder to get at what I need when I am at the surface. It also doesn't give the feeling of pulling in on the diaphragm while finning through the water or at the surface heading for the boat.
If you have never dove a back mount BCD before, it does take a little getting used to. It takes a few dives to finally be able to say "Hey this is cool!" A divemaster asked my opinion and I told him why I liked it but also told him that if he got the Excursion, he would hate me until about his 7th dive with it. Now he will dive with nothing but a back mount.

Back
Top Bottom