Problem with drysuit- crease in neoprene-possible catastrophic failure coming- help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theriverman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys. While I have not posted much and just recently registered, I am a long time lurker and have been reading in the background for years. I think I have a problem that I need some advise on. I purchase a scuba pro everydry 4 and really like it. It has kept my 100% dry and I like the comfort it offers.I am worried about something however. So as you all know the zipper is glued onto the neoprene. Around the contour of the zipper near where the zipper is glued to the neoprene a crease has formed. This crease is about 4 inches long and is deep. If I put my fingers on both sides of the crease (one finger inside the suit touching the crease, with the other hand on the outside of the suit touching the crease at the same spot) I realize that the material is very very thin where the crease is. It feels paper thin as if it were just the nylon material. My last dive was dry but I have a hard time imagining that the crease won’t cause a leak or tear catastrophically during a dive. I diver in ice cold waters in the low 30's so this could be a very serious safety issue that makes me uneasy.. This is a new suit with about 20 dives on it and I have owned it for about 2 months. I always store it hanging upside down as stated in the manual. I did notice that the resting position of the arm creates a fold where the crease is and is likely the cause of it. So what do you guys think? Have you seen this before? Will this be covered by warranty? I'm new to drysuits but my common sense tells me this isn't good and I'm not worrying for nothing.
If I have to send it away to scubapro it will break my heart as I dive every weekend and without a drysuit it's just too cold when I get out of the water. hum :( thanks for taking the time to read my question guys

Last edited:
If you feel it is a "catastrophic" danger, you should check it out. I have had leaks in drysuits in cold water and deal with them no problem, but I do have a contingency plan to be able to get out of the water in 10 minutes or less. If there is any risk that you will get a leak in freezing water and are more than 10 minutes away from warmth, you need to bite the bullet and have the drysuit serviced.
It sounds like you are not confident enough to service the drysuit yourself, so I will not go into discussing the self-service details available.
Talk to your seller, talk to scubapro.
Service it.

A crease can cause a leak in a neoprene suit which is why they are normally hung or rolled for storage rather than folded. My preference is to use a large round shouldered dry suit hanger as it lets the suit hang normally. As you've noted, if you hang it by the boots, you get creases by the arms. Nothing against manuals, but sometimes the people who write them are a little clueless.

With that said a leak due to a crease will be a small seep, not a catastophic leak. However the way you describe it, the nylon is the only thing holding the suit together with the neoprene itself being sepratated. If that's really the case it woudl already be leaking like a sieve as the nylon fabric is very porous. Thus, I suspect all you have is a crease.

If you are worreid about it, take it back to the dealer (assuming you bought it from a dealer) and have them look at it. If it has a problem they will most likely replace it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I value your comments. I have done some researching and have spoken to some people who have owned similar suits for the life of the suit and what I can summarize is basically creases are the reality of neoprene suits. Any fold left long enough causes a crease. Creases thin out the neoprene and they are a weakness and can be a spot where a leak can develop. So my local instructors think I'm freaking out for nothing. One showed me his neo suit and it has similar creases and even one worse than mine.

No matter how the suit is placed there will always be a couple of crease spots. If you use a hanger to hang it head up; there will be a small fold under each arm in the armpit area that should cause a crease I have seen this on bare suits and other everydry's in the showroom. Dead center between the legs in the groin area I have seen creases on every neo suit I've looked at.

It's a touchy material.. My neck seal has all kinds of creases lol but apparently all neo neck seals do.
I slide a cylindrical plastic storage container in the seal (reverse construction) to avoid creases there. It does not stretch the seal at all, its just the perfect size.

I have settled on never leaving the suit in the same position for a long time. I lay it down flat on a spare bed for a couple days, then on a big hanger for a couple days then by the feet for a couple days lol. I play with the arm positions..

Lol I even plugged the neck and wrists and filled it with air to fully fill out the suit and get ALL folds out for at least a short period of time..

I think I just have to give it up and accept this as the reality of my suit and get over it. I will however try to minimize the extent of the creases and try not to cause additional ones.

I'll bring it to the dealer but I was told that if its not leaking yet they wont consider it defective. I'd still like to show it to him and will take the time to do so as the lakes have frozen over as of this weekend here and ice diving wont start for a few weeks +or-

Aquamaster you are correct that I simply have a good crease. There is a bit of material in the crease but it's pretty damn thin!

I'm tempted to just get some nice sheet neoprene, cut out a patch and aquaseal the SOB from the inside.. but this is a new suit and just can't do that this early in..

if the suit is new, get it serviced by the dealer. Otherwise, patch.

Back
Top Bottom