Problem with N2ition 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dove my N2ition 3 this weekend and turned it on before entering the water. Upon entry the computer seemed to work fine, but then at 20ffw, the screen was quick flashing, remained in surface mode, and would not respond to button presses. After 20 minutes the computer starting a constant beeping. This same thing occurred on later dives. The battery icon indicated a full battery and the computer has about 25 dives on it.

Does this need to go in for warranty work? Should I try replacing the battery first?

You are experiencing a classic error common to all computers based on this particular chassis made by Seiko. It has been having this problem for years.

This chassis has also been sold as the:

• Nitek Duo
  • Apeks Quantum
  • Cresi Archimedes I/II
  • TUSA IQ-700

IIRC the error is caused by malfunctioning/leaking buttons. It's a shame, because the platform is a very nice multi-gas computer. There's also been reports that replacing the battery will make it behave for maybe 25 dives.

Just do a Google search for Nitek Duo problems and you'll get a lot of reading. If you revisit these threads periodically, it is interesting to see divers defend the computer staunchly (because it has been flawless for them), then, several months later, pop back in to report a failure.

I've seen the problem reported as "fixed" several times, and yet it still seems to recur even in new revisions of the computer.

However, by all reports, every manufacturer has been great about getting the malfunctioning unit replaced.

All the best, James

Thanks for the info fdog.

fdog, are you aware if the problem is easy to replicate after the behavior starts or is it an inconsistent error?

khacken I am going to PM my address to you and ask that you send me the computer without altering any of the current settings. When I get the computer I will do a quick check to verify an error has occurred and not a setting problem and have Zeagle send a replacement out to you.

My hope is to replicate the problem in the water and get an idea on what is its cause. If its a leak there should be clear evidence in the case of the computer. But I don't think that's whats happening because that problem shouldn't go away. It should only get worse. Based on what fdog is saying, if it is a button problem, my theory is that if the springs behind the buttons are becoming weak then increasing water pressure at depth may be depressing the buttons and causing the computer to go wack-a-doo.

Anybody else have similar issues with the N2ition of other S/E computers?
What was the outcome?

Hi Gibby. That's great support, and what I would expect from a quality company like Zeagle.

My experience stems from being impressed with a Nitek Duo that a friend used -this was about 3 years ago - and shortly before getting one, his died the "lockup and confused death". This made me start investigating, and I eventually chose a different computer capable of gauge mode. Since then I've kept tabs on friends with the Duo/Quantum/etc.

Most of the folks I know that have had the problem tell me the computer failure is consistent - they have the same error over and over. Some are resolved by replacing the battery, but they eventually return to a fail mode after a period of time.

Hope this helps. Again, kudos for the quick Zeagle support!

All the best, Janes

Gibby,

Thanks for the quick response. I had the shop send the computer back for me.

I was able to reproduce the error on the following dive to 20ffw. Also, the computer would work fine in surface mode and I could not reproduce the error manually pushing all the buttons at the same time.

Let me know if your shop is going to send it to my address or not.
If they don't I just have to make sure Scott keeps an eye out for it.

My N2ition 3 just had this same thing happen twice. The first time was about a month ago and after about 30 dives...we were tec training in the pool and it started flashing and beeping and would not go into dive mode...I took the battery out and let it sit for a few minutes and then it worked for 6 open water water dives from 40ft in freshwater to this last weekend down to 140 off Catalina Island during more training...on the 4th dive it started flashing and beeping and would not go into dive mode. After a couple days back home it at least stopped flashing and beeping when the contacts were touched...but now you cannot get into any of the modes including dive mode. It will scroll through the modes but you can't modify anything. The buttons seem to be dead. I just dropped it off my local dive shop and he is sending it back.

Oh boy.......

Seems I have some work ahead of me.

I think I have two computers on the way to me that I'm going to dive this weekend. If yours makes it here in time I'll add it to the test batch.

There is an obvious safety concern here.

I'll report back on Monday...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom