Problem with trim using doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

And resistance is a keyword as well.
Ankle weights add an unnecessary amount of resistance to movement by being out there on the ankles... and even if one only uses the frog kick... that moment arm still exacts a toll... but more so for the flutter kicker.
The weight movement necessary to effect a balanced rig can be as simple as moving the tank down... or wearing a weight belt that rides a little lower on the hips (as I do) or using that little half or quarter V weight that Tom referred to... none of which extract an energy penalty like ankle weights do.
I think the "unnecessary amount of resistance" is overstated. Especially with 95's (yes the bands are at the shoulder, yes the bolts are in the lower holes) - (104's are longer and eliminate the problem - know where I can get a good deal?), I have to move some weight aft, and I'm more comfortable with small ankle weights than with even more dead weight at the waist. Frankly I don't even notice they're there as far as any affect on kicks.
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
Frankly I don't even notice they're there as far as any affect on kicks.
But I'll bet the DIRF video would show what is really happening :D

I'll bet it would show that your knees are dropping and that your body is not in a plane... and that adds up to resistance.

Anyway... that is one of the principle complaints about the 95s and 98s... a little too short... unless we are talking about a fairly short diver.

That is also a problem with the HP100.

So why not a small V weight for the doubles or a small channel weight for the singles? Shoot... if you still have boots on your tanks you could hide some wheel weights in there.

Cheap 104s??? Sure... I hear you can buy stretched out ones cheap down there in cave country :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Cheap 104s??? Sure... I hear you can buy stretched out ones cheap down there in cave country :D
Naw, I gave up on the stretch models .... ain't gonna say it... tempted though...
Rick

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom