problems with mask fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A properlly defogged mask should be able to handle all the nose breathing you throw at it. If it fogs when you exhale throught he nose, the mask lens is dirty. If it were clean, you could blow out the nose all day with no fogging issues.
Fix the problem (dirty mask), don't look for a way to work around the problem.

Jason

dang...

dude, my mask doesn't even fog :eyebrow:

didn't you read the initial post? they have cleaned the mask, and it appears
that they are still having trouble

also, you are wrong that if your mask is "clean" it won't fog up. try doing a dive
without some defog (even spit) some day, and you'll see. at any rate, this is
my experience. you could be unique in that your mask doesn't need defog to
stay unfogged. perhaps double tanks only weight half as much when you
wear them :eyebrow:

I have used commerical defoggers and I have never found anything that works as good as spit. If you're short on spit, dab a little salt water in your mouth and you will soon have plenty.

Spread the spit thoroughly inside the mask with your fingers (push it right against the mask surface) then scoop up a small amount of water with the mask and set the mask down with the water still inside it. Scoop enough to keep the inside of the lense completely covered until you are ready to put it on and jump in. If you are in a warm/humid environment your mask will fog up in short order if you rinse with cool water then dump it right out and let it sit. Keep the water in the mask until you are ready to splash. Then of course dump it out, put on the mask, and jump in. If you are warm your body heat will tend to fog the mask of course. If you are waiting on the surface for buddies or whatever stick your face/mask under water to keep your mask (and head) cool. The sooner your head is underwater the less likely it will fog.

If all else fails - your friend will become an expert with mask clearing. Flood the entire mask every few minutes and clear it to keep the inside as clear as possible.

--Matt

BTW Clearing your ears (at least via Valsalva) does not need to involve exhaling from your nose. You can pinch your nose and clear your ears without exhaling through your nose into the mask. You would need to exhale through the nose a bit to reduce squeeze as you descend of course.

matt_unique:
I have used commerical defoggers and I have never found anything that works as good as spit.
I must have defective spit. I've tried mine and it doesn't do . . . uhhh. . . spit!

Terry

matt_unique:
BTW Clearing your ears (at least via Valsalva) does not need to involve exhaling from your nose. You can pinch your nose and clear your ears without exhaling through your nose into the mask. .

Won't that blow up your head? :11:

Thanks for the tip on spit but have you tried 500 PSI? I've tried spit (works for a while but not the entire dive), touthpaste (works okay but it really makes my black skirt white :D) and other defoggers but 500 PSI seems to work, for me, the best. Maybe cuz it looks and comes out like ... well ... toothpaste? :11: No, they wouldn't repackage that ... would they?

H2Andy:
dang...

dude, my mask doesn't even fog :eyebrow:

didn't you read the initial post? they have cleaned the mask, and it appears
that they are still having trouble

also, you are wrong that if your mask is "clean" it won't fog up. try doing a dive
without some defog (even spit) some day, and you'll see. at any rate, this is
my experience. you could be unique in that your mask doesn't need defog to
stay unfogged. perhaps double tanks only weight half as much when you
wear them :eyebrow:
Andy, I'm not trying to have an argument with you. I did read his first post. Did you read mine? I stated in my first post how I used toothpaste and softscrub on my newest mask with no luck. A little Bon Ami took care of the problem once and for all.
As for the statement about "also, you are wrong that if your mask is "clean" it won't fog up. try doing a dive without some defog (even spit) some day, and you'll see". What do you think the defog or spit is doing to the mask? Cleaning it.

To the original poster, got to the grocery store and buy a 79 cent can of Bon Ami and go home and wash your mask real good. I promise it will work! (of course a defog, be it spit or your favorite store bought defog, will need to be added before each dive). And for the nay-sayers out there, spit works as well and as long as any store bought defogger (and cost nothing :)).

Jason

Jason B:
What do you think the defog or spit is doing to the mask?
Jason
It is adding a film to the mask that, when mixed with water, changes the surface tension so that it forms drops instead of fogging. The initial toothpaste treatment is to remove any silicone residue that may be present.

I know some people use spit successfully but I have given myself pinkeye twice from it. Won't do that again.

Joe

Jason B:
A properlly defogged mask should be able to handle all the nose breathing you throw at it. If it fogs when you exhale throught he nose, the mask lens is dirty. If it were clean, you could blow out the nose all day with no fogging issues.
Fix the problem (dirty mask), don't look for a way to work around the problem.

Jason

Talk about left field.......the lens will fog because the air you're exhaling on the inside of the mask is humid and warmer than the water on the outside of the mask. Same reason the windows in your car fog up in the winter time. While equalizing mask pressure shouldn't be enough air to cause this, I can almost promise that if you "blow out the nose all day" you will have fogging issues. Cleaning the mask won't hurt, but it won't necessarily fix the problem.

Jason B:
As for the statement about "also, you are wrong that if your mask is "clean" it won't fog up. try doing a dive without some defog (even spit) some day, and you'll see". What do you think the defog or spit is doing to the mask? Cleaning it.

Jason

Strike Two.......It can be as clean as possible and still fog like crazy. Spit and defog is NOT for cleaning the mask. As Sideband said, with defog (or spit) you're changing the surface tension so that the fog rolls off in droplets rather than clinging to the mask.

Wanna try for 3? :eyebrow:

vladimir:

Ditto on the GEL. Generally fogging problems are related to exhaling through the nose more than necessary, under scrubbing initially or over rinsing (probably the most frequent thing I see on the boat). If all elese fails, get the GEL.

I've got a HydroOptix mask I use on occasion. It has a polycarbonate lens, that so far only gel defog will work on. Great stuff.

Good luck,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom