Progression to solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tedtim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, so I have reached the point where looking at solo diving is right for me. I spoke with a local TDI instructor and have arranged for a a solo cert in the spring (too darn cold right now for sure). So, it is my intention to head to the pool during the rest of the winter and practice some skills.

I am comfortable with the mask off swimming, mask removal and replacement while hovering, and reg removal and recovery. In the next month I will get myself a pony bottle for a redundant air supply. Aside from the normal "are your really ready to go solo questions" and other advice, what would you seasoned solos diver recommend that I work on in terms of skills over the next few months so that I will be better prepared for what awaits on the solo diver course?

Examine yourself carefully. Be sure you know WHY you are diving solo.

Solo diving is not a "progression". It is not a status thing. Solo diving is not about skills. It is something you do because it is right for you and you have the right attitude and maturity. If you have those all the rest of the questions and answers will flow naturally.

Thanks.

I know why I want to go the solo route. I believe I have the experience, maturity, and reasoning to make the decision. I am not asking if solo diving is right for me.

What I am looking at is more than the decision. It has got to do with the level of competence that I want to achieve. While there is a level of competence that must be demonstrated on the solo cert, the standard may be less than what I am comfortable with to move forward. So, my question to the experience solo divers was probably not well stated.

I know that there is no requirement to take yet another cert to dive solo. What I am expecting from the course is to learn from someone who has gone this route and can relay the experience that they have.

Over the next few months I plan to spend a lot of time in the pool. What skills would you consider to be those that I should practice until they are second nature? I have my own list, but I am really interested in the views of the folks that have done this and would have done something different had they the opportunity to do it over.

I would go instead with manifolded doubles (AL63's or Steel LP72's) with an isolation valve, and practice valve shutdown drills. Also as a last resort/survival tool --do valve modulation/feathering CESA drills should you ever happen to have a catastrophic free-flow from your 2nd stage. . .

Lastly, figure out and have a feel for your actual gas consumption at depth for a certain length of time in minutes --even before you look at your SPG to confirm it. For example --an AL80 single tank, a good rule of thumb is 2bar/min*ATA for non-stressed nominal finning; so in 10min at 30m/100' (same as 4 ATA in absolute atm pressure depth), you would expect to consume (2)*(10)*(4) equals 80bar. So when you look at your SPG to confirm, you should be 80bar down from your initial prior reading 10min ago.

OK then, probably the best route is to get some input from others who are already solo diving. That you are doing with this thread and your scheduled class. You can also talk to others where you dive because some things are specific to each area.

Proceed as if you are a test pilot trying out an airplane that is just out of major maintainence. That is start with very brief and simple excursions and expand as your confidence and judgement grows. Nibbling off a wee bit at a time lets you always have a way out that you have practiced and are comfortable with.

Certainly redundancy is useful if intelligently applied. But, the more equipment you have the more likely it is that something will fail. For example: If you have two cylinders there are twice as many opportunities for failure than if you only have one. If the two cylinders are manifolded with an isolation valve there are now three times as many opportunities for valve problems than if you were only using a single cylinder and single valve.

If there are multiple divers there are multiple opportunities for human error; and so on.

Certainly there are advantages to redundancy. It is up to you to decide if those advantages outweigh the increased risks. Too often, especially with scuba certifying agencies, only the advantages are touted; without any regard for the other side of the coin. There is a balance that must be drawn.

Asking yourself what the worst is that could happen and then deciding you can accept that risk is important.

As you go through the process you will arrive at an equipment configuration and a set of dive parameters that you will be comfortable with. They may be different than anyone else's.

I would work on scuba unit removal and replacement which might be required for entanglement. I would practice with the same or similar gloves that are used in open water. I would also make sure I can access any safety gear like knives, back up lights etc.

I would also configure the pony bottle, eliminate the octopus and practice with the gear. I would also spend a good 20 minutes each session swimming or snorkeling hard in order to ensure you have the physical capacity to muscle your way out a a situation that is slightly over your head.

Hi tedtim,

Welcome to the solo brotherhood.

Sounds to me like you're doing what you need to be doing.

What else can you do? I would spend some time working on basic skills and thoroughly examining and analyzing your equipment configuration.

A book on solo diving can help you make some decisions. How are you going to ensure redundancy? How are you going to handle emergencies and other problems? You need to work out a definite plan for everything.

In the mean time, practice, practice, practice. As a solo diver you do not have a redundant brain (no buddy), so when the poop hits the fan your basic skills should be honed so that you are less likely to screw up.

When something goes wrong, and stress levels increase, your performance will suffer. If your basic skills are well practiced then hopefully your performance will not degrade as much.

Going into any hostile environment, whether it be Off Road Alaska, or SCUBA is a highly personal thing. Different people have different skills, pre-dispostions, body types, personalities, fears, etc. So, what is a definite No Go for one person may be a reasonably handled situation for another.

So, my best advise is to not be in a hurry to accept anyone's detailed equipment activity advise. Instead take it slow and thoroughly think through each activity and piece of equipment. Approach each with the attitude it is a trap ready to be sprung and you have to be ready to escape it. Then, after you know it better you can move on.

Enough of the sermons. Too much thinking and too much listening can rot your mind and spirit. Go and explore and practice and explore and practice.......

What kind of solo diving do you plan on doing? Will these be shallow shore dives or deep deco dives? I would focus on making sure your rig is right for solo diving. Getting a pony bottle is okay for the shallow shore dives, but it won't work for a majority of dives. Personally, I only solo in sidemount now. Even a set of manifolded double tanks isn't safe enough to solo in without having a completely separate source of air like a stage bottle with me. But I dive overheads. Solo diving is about your attitude and state of mind more than anything else. Know where your gear is without having to look at it. Know what your gas consumption is without having to look at your spg's. Know what your response will be to different possible scenarios. The first 2 can be achieved through practice (the 2nd one - gas consumption - taking a little longer), but the last one is all about visualization. I've never taken a solo course and never intend to. There is better training out there to prepare divers for solo diving.

Back
Top Bottom