Project Log: DIY Canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So after everything that you would need purchase and use to assemble these lights how cost efficent is it over an off the shelf unit?
You should save about 50% according to my math, depending on how many parts you have to buy more than once if you screw up. :shakehead:

For me it's about having a project to look forward to working on when I get off work and school, or when I get fed up with homework more than saving money. Also if anything goes wrong, I won't have proprietary parts to deal with, I'll know where to buy all the parts at normal pricing without the name brand markup.

If I save money, great, but I don't see that happening the first time.

I plan on spending ~$400 on mine which is a good deal less than a 10W HID and it will be brighter.

Ok next question i looked into the clear acrylic that was used in one site. At about $20 per foot(the cheapest i could find in a quick search) couldn't you replace that with PVC tubing? Also what are you guys using for the light heads prefabricated or homespun?

Ok next question i looked into the clear acrylic that was used in one site. At about $20 per foot(the cheapest i could find in a quick search) couldn't you replace that with PVC tubing? Also what are you guys using for the light heads prefabricated or homespun?
I'm using clear so if it leaks I can see.

I'll be using a prefab light head, a mag light with a few LED's retrofitted in there.

Yeah, being a college student as well i'm just looking at cost efficency.

Are you using the entire mag lite or just the head? If just the head how do you plan to seal it? The glass would obviously have to be changed but what else?

Yeah, being a college student as well i'm just looking at cost efficency.

Are you using the entire mag lite or just the head? If just the head how do you plan to seal it? The glass would obviously have to be changed but what else?
I currently plan on cutting the mag light in half, and only using about 3-4in of the rear portion of it. It will be just about the right size to fit into the light head, and I'll use JB weld to prevent it from leaking.

As for the glass, I'm going to have a shop custom cut some for me.

If you're only looking to save money, have you tried finding a used 10w HID dive rite setup? Lot's for sale from people upgrading to the 21w HID's.

No i'm just looking around right now. I kinda like building my own things too, i'm working on a thethered ROV platform for a submersible cable camera. Thats got my extra $$$ tied up right now. The light may be my next project. But since im not wreck or cave cert. yet i got a while.

I'm gonna make a light head out of a brick of aluminum that I got from skycraft for $20. The glass and gasketing isn't gonna run more than $10 so I think I have a very cost efficient way to get exactly what I want.

This is a great project! you can find some pics of what mine looks like here -

jdvirnig - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

max depth has been 130fsw, not a drop in the can or lighthead.

I have part numbers and such for the latches etc. if anybody is interested.

PVC tubing works well for the canister,as it turns out, if it starts leaking at depth it's too late to do anything about it anyway. I did use a piece of 1/4 acrylic for the bottom of the can, so I can see if it's full of water after the dive.

If you're using LED's they don't generate enough heat to require a glass lense, and acrylic is much easier to work with. I made a disk of the correct size with 1/4' acrylic, then used a router to turn the step in it to hold the o-ring.

With the relatively low amperage of the LED's I chose to just directly switch my light with a reed switch though I'm told using a relay woul d be a better option, and that I'll eventually have problems with my setup. Time will tell.

Keep us all posted, I'm thinking of upgradign my LED to an array, so I'll be watching this thread.

Jake

Posting part numbers would be appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom