Propeller accident after diving at Galápagos Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What has that got to do with using a bolt-snap to prevent a reel from unraveling? Hickdive doesn't say to clip the other end to yourself.

Using the boltsnap still requires you to hold the reel, just not with the thumb/finger to prevent the reel from unraveling as was mentioned by Pearlman.
Sorry, I didn't get the idea - and still don't. I've used a ratchet reel that would stop where I wanted, but on a thumb reel - my bolt snap is tied to the SMB. So you're talking about one clipped to the thumb reel and to what at 15-20 feet? :confused:

Nathalie,

It shows a lot of character that you're turning this accident into a way to teach people about safety around boats. Sharing your lessons learned is going to save someone else from having a similar experience and you can be proud of that! Good luck with your recovery.

You know, propellers are the only thing about diving that scares me. I'm glad that they changed the standards so that all OW students now need to know how to use and deploy a (D)SMB. Hopefully it will help in avoiding more of these horrible accidents in the future.

R..
They did? Who did? Did I miss something? I have always carried a sausage even without a reel at first, but I've really seen few others on my trips.

Boat strikes are certainly a continuing risk. Man dies in boat mishap - Fiji

spool.jpg
When the DSMB is deployed you can pass the snapbolt through the line leading vertically to the SMB and then snap it through the eye of the spool.

With the picture above the (black) line is running upwards to the buoy.

You still hold on to the whole reel with your hand but the spool will not unravel.

Attachments

• spool.jpg
    spool.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 265
When the DSMB is deployed you can pass the snapbolt through the line leading vertically to the SMB and then snap it through the eye of the spool.

With the picture above the (black) line is running upwards to the buoy.

You still hold on to the whole reel with your hand but the spool will not unravel.
Ah ha, I see now - thanks. :thumb:

They did? Who did? Did I miss something?

Hmmmm.... It might not be common knowledge yet. PADI announced some fairly significant (and welcome) changes to the standards for the OW course recently. As far as I know the English materials will be out by the end of the year and Dutch ones are due by the end of Q1-2014.

R..

Hmmmm.... It might not be common knowledge yet. PADI announced some fairly significant (and welcome) changes to the standards for the OW course recently. As far as I know the English materials will be out by the end of the year and Dutch ones are due by the end of Q1-2014.

R..

do you have a link to or list of the new changes by chance?

The link I have won't work unless you're a PADI professional.

Here's a run-down of the most interesting changes:

• skill added for addressing a loose band from a cylinder that has become unsecured
  • skill added for emergency weight drop
  • formalized performance requirements for buddy contact under water
  • formalized performance requirements for good surface habits
  • skill for descents changed. Descents to neutrally buoyant over the bottom as opposed to "landing" on the bottom
  • skill for ascents changed. Ascents are to be taught from neutrally buoyant
  • skill for air-management. OW divers are to be aware at all times of their pressure to within +/- 20 bar when asked without re-checking the spg
  • AAS swimming skill changed to include an ascent and orally inflating the BCD
  • performance requirements added for determining and adjusting trim for horizontal attitude in the water
  • OW course is now to be conducted such that as much of the course as possible is done while neutrally buoyant (no more sitting in a line on your knees)
  • "Mini-dive" requirements added for confined dives 2-5 with specific focus on skills drilling
  • performance requirement added for proper lifting of heavy gear.
  • skill added for (D)SMB use in open water
  • "trim check" skill added for open water
  • buddy teams must now plan and execute the last open water dive

To my way of thinking this is all together a good thing. The bar for instructors who teach OW has been raised to the point where all instructors will now need to teach to a new level of increased quality, comfort and competence.

As an aside (and I apologize to the OP for this little hijack) many of these changes were either directly or indirectly a result of an initiative taken by a group of instructors here in Scubaboard who approached PADI starting a little over 2 years ago with many of these points and were successful, in collaboration with people within the agency, in getting these changes implemented.

R..

As an aside (and I apologize to the OP for this little hijack) many of these changes were either directly or indirectly a result of an initiative taken by a group of instructors here in Scubaboard who approached PADI starting a little over 2 years ago with many of these points and were successful, in collaboration with people within the agency, in getting these changes implemented.

R..

Hi Diver0001,

This is the most fortunate hijack ever. I'm very pleased with the efforts and results. This wíll make a differance. When it starts with Padi, hopefully the rest will follow shortly. I know Dutch underwater association (NOB) is looking into how to incorporate smb in teaching material and sessions.

It has been just over 6 months since the accident. I'm now able to walk a few meters indoors without crutches. Since last week I'm driving my car again, finally being able to get out of the house by myself. Such a releave! I still have fysiotherapy five days per week and I'll need one more surgery in about six to ten months. Before the end of this year I hope to be able to go into a pool and see if I can use my leg for fin kicking. Hopefully I'll be able to do my first dive somewhere around May next year. I'm booked on a local liveaboard in May, so that timing would come in handy.
The investigation by the authorities at the Galápagos has come to an end. Their conclusion: accident with no-one to blame. I'm fine with that as long as we can learn from it.

One more question: the link in my first post is not correct anymore. Is there a way I can adjust this?

Nathalie.

Wonderful!!
... you keep working at it ... we'll be your cheering section :D

I just asked for a moderator to help you with your request Nathalie :)

Last edited:
Reactions: D_B
The link I have won't work unless you're a PADI professional.

Here's a run-down of the most interesting changes:

• skill added for addressing a loose band from a cylinder that has become unsecured
  • skill added for emergency weight drop
  • formalized performance requirements for buddy contact under water
  • formalized performance requirements for good surface habits
  • skill for descents changed. Descents to neutrally buoyant over the bottom as opposed to "landing" on the bottom
  • skill for ascents changed. Ascents are to be taught from neutrally buoyant
  • skill for air-management. OW divers are to be aware at all times of their pressure to within +/- 20 bar when asked without re-checking the spg
  • AAS swimming skill changed to include an ascent and orally inflating the BCD
  • performance requirements added for determining and adjusting trim for horizontal attitude in the water
  • OW course is now to be conducted such that as much of the course as possible is done while neutrally buoyant (no more sitting in a line on your knees)
  • "Mini-dive" requirements added for confined dives 2-5 with specific focus on skills drilling
  • performance requirement added for proper lifting of heavy gear.
  • skill added for (D)SMB use in open water
  • "trim check" skill added for open water
  • buddy teams must now plan and execute the last open water dive

To my way of thinking this is all together a good thing. The bar for instructors who teach OW has been raised to the point where all instructors will now need to teach to a new level of increased quality, comfort and competence.

R..

WOW, that is like a complete laundry list of dream changes to OW! Can't believe they are finally going to address buoyancy right from the start and eliminate teaching students to kneel on everything in sight!!!! And buddy skills! Contact with your buddy! Awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom