Property Recovery- Thinking Forward

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cleaning rope out of fishing boat wheels is also a fast way to make a few hundred, but you will have to get very good at it. Fishing boats tend to melt the rope into a poly blob. It takes sharp chisels (wood chisels) to cut the blob, and you don't want to mar the shaft.

I did some of that when I was a lot younger. I found that a close quarters hacksaw worked well for some blobs, but it was important to be careful not to contact the shaft.

I was thinking more about that Golfball recovery thing, and my question is: How does one dive something like that? Normal wetsuit, BCD, etc? Or something more like a boiler suit and perhaps some sort of harness for a tank? Or a hookah system (air not smoke!) I know most aren't very deep, but I do know they are anywhere between 0-perhaps-10ft deep or so... not saying that's too shallow to drown, because you can drown in the bath...

And do you just inquire with the groundskeeper looking to work for the course? Or do you approach as a small business (Go through those motions) as a company looking for the salvage rights to the balls located in the hazards?

I think you are biting off way more than you can chew at this point.Not being yet certified you are looking at diving jobs which can possibly be in Zero visability,high danger of entanglement,no surface support,may require solo diving,underwater obstacles,possible electrocution hazard,possible overhead traffic,possible chemical/fuel contamination,etc..Your open water course is not going to prepare you for these things and either is your AOW.

No sport diving course will prep him to work underwater. Might be a better idea to ask these questions in the commercial diving section.

Ill continue this over in commerical then. However I want to address East's point:

I realise to you it may seem like I am biting off a lot. And its true, I am looking to take a mighty big gulp. However I also recognise the dangers, and would never agree to something that I didn't think I could do safely. You are correct in that no course will prep someone for such. I am a big fan of "on the job training" in combination with the obvious proper certifications, however I do recognise that there are obvious dangers to this.

Unfortunatly you do not know what you don't know and that is what can get you hurt .You have never been underwater ,according to you,you have no idea of the dangers and the things that can be a danger.It doesn't matter to me what you do or don't do but you did come here and ask for advice,after 4 decades of diving most of it in the NorthEast I am giving you a true assesment to your questions ,you may not like the answer but thats ok.

Sorry, I am not trying to brush off your answer. I realise theres alot I don't know. First it will start with proper cert, then we will go from there,,,

I might have sounded harsh but it was not meant that way.I see too many divers who have unrealistic views of their capabilities and that is what can cause them problems.I wish you the best and hope you stick with it .

I did a little more research...and yea forget that idea... I decided I don't want future children to have 8 arms.... or 5 tongues.... I might look into the original S&R idea. Or something, that won't cause mutations, lol.

Stay away from golf ball recovery, the ponds are toxic, and most courses have someone who does it.

When I was a kid I would dive the rock piles and snag areas and recover fishing lures and sell them back to the folks fishing the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom