Property Recovery- Thinking Forward

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, perhaps I was being too specific.

I was thinking: Search and Recovery, Visual Inspection of Swimming Areas(ie: glass,) Prop-Disentanglement (I do have serious concerns here, do props have a habit of "springing" into rotation when freed? (Granted Sparks would be pulled and whatnot...) small boats like one would find in a pond, not 100,000t displacement vessels..) Swimming Buoy placement. Also perhaps as someone mentioned, lake mooring (re)placement (not 1000lb blocks!). Smaller stuff.

Perhaps I was thinking too too advanced.

^Exactly what I was thinking of.

Not to sound completely idiotic, but what major dangers around docks are you referring? I know current can be bad around piers (And I assume docks,) and there are always spare fishing hooks..

And I do agree about being selective. I have some training for heavy lifting on land (crane operations, and what not) so I imagine it doesn't change too much underwater. But that doesn't mean I intend to retrieve a 12' propeller off of a boat!

And never solo... too much to go wrong...

It is impossible to begin telling you of all the things that could go wrong. It is NOTHING like heavy lifting on land.
Get certified in SCUBA first. See if the underwater game is for you. If you think it is, get some basic commercial dive training, such as HSE part 1.

Too many recreational divers get killed trying to work underwater without the training. It is not worth the risk.

RITeen,

There are little opportunities like replacing boat zincs in the water and retrieving dropped trinkets but it's all unpredictable activity for an unknown diver.

With respect to boat props I know of divers who take the keys under with them before they get under a powerboat.

in any case working while diving is something of an advanced skill. Set all of this industrious thinking aside, get certified, gain some diving expertise and with that expertise start thinking about broadening your horizons. Don't over plan or over think this stuff.

Pete

Cleaning boat bottoms, clearing props and replacing zincs are all jobs that you have to wait for them to be needed so it will not be steady work. Salvaging moorings is a job that you can do when you have the time between whatever other jobs come your way. Once you are certified and have enough dives under your belt that you feel comfortable in the water you can learn a few simple search techniques and go after lost moorings. This would require that you have access to a boat to move the mooring to shore once you bring then to the surface though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom