Puerto Galera - Getting Money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of the larger, better dive operations and resorts do not charge a surcharge. This was the case of divedojo when I was there. And I'm sure they are not the only ones... So I paid all their dues with my credit card, and used the travel office for my cash needs. It was 6% charge for cash transfers. But to me that was no biggie compared to having all the cash for my stay always on me! Walking around with that much cash was not too appealing to me!:D

i got such a good rate on the hotel i didnt mind paying an additional fee to put it on the credit card.

i still think the diving is better in anilao.

Tell be about Anilao. What is it like price wise, is there anything to do in the evenings and is there an ATM, or is it the same deal with credit cards and such.

Tell be about Anilao. What is it like price wise, is there anything to do in the evenings and is there an ATM, or is it the same deal with credit cards and such.

Anilao..hrmmm...where to start. If you want diving Anilao is a great place to be at. My wife and I were at Anilao over the past weekend for my OW dives. We stayed at Aquaventure and paid about $100 from Friday midnite until Sunday afternoon. That included room, meals(not drinks: sodas and booze),equipment, air, boat rides. The place is catered more for diving than anything. I didn't see any nitelife unless u just want to hang out and drink all nite by urself...lol i don't recall seeing them using credit cards as well.

About the credit card/bank card. This is my 3rd trip here the past 3 years(every holiday and staying for over a month or two). The past two trips all i brought with me was pocket money and went to a bank to remit from my bank account. For every transaction i was charged by the bank less than $3 and of course my Bank of America charges 3% and maximum remittance was P40,000..about $1000. This year i wasn't able to do that because the banks now require you to have an account with them to be able to do any type of transactions. So now i have to resort to ATM's which sucked because only PNB is all i can use due to my pin # being more than 4 or 6(which other bank ATM's can accommodate) which really messed me up. Now that i have to use an atm all i can take out from it is P4,000 per transaction(about $90) and then i get charged an ATM fee from the bank the ATM belongs to then i get additional charges from my bank for doing ATM transaction AND international charges. Still, the charges are more from my bank.

Now thanx to my experience this year, my next visit i'll just bring with me cash. you can get better exchange doing it on your own instead of going through a credit card/bank card. Also, everywhere i'v went accepts $ so just have a calculator handy and know the exchange rate. Finally, i won't use the Airport money exchanger..they exchange about 5% lower than the actual exchange rate.

Hi Leadweight, If you want good diving at most reasonable prices come on down to General Santos City in Mindanao! all you need is a credit card as we have lots of ATM's all over and we do not surcharge on the payments, we give cash discounts instead!
You can be here quicker than you can get to PG and we are not filled with hundreds of divers as the northern resorts can be!
Check out the Philippine Paradise Divers bit on here and you will see lots of good stuff about the area from myself, World Wide Diver and others!
Check it out, you might be surprised!

Gen San Chris.....ooohh.. i'v read abour that area too. nice, pristine diving. would probably visit there my next trip back here (^_^)

I was there was in August and even in the town proper there is no ATM. The closest ATM is in Calapan

There's a Western Union ATM in PG, on the right as you go up the hill towards Sabang from the port. Offline a lot of the time though. Just take $US instead. Most of the 'resorts' have a safe, either in the office or your room

Got stuck there during a typhoon once. No power - no money. Literally had 10 pesos left after I paid the fare for the boat back (that sunk going back on the return trip). That was cutting it close! Bring cash! Credit cards are 7% surcharge, but thats about what they get charged. They will NOT exchange any dollars that are not crisp.

They will NOT exchange any dollars that are not crisp.

That's a slight exaggeration IMHO - but yes, anything that looks like it has been through the wash a dozen times will probably be rejected

Back
Top Bottom