Puerto Rico La Parquera diving, Parquera vs Paradise vs West Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi.

We're going to La Parquera, Puerto Rico for 2 days at the end of Aug. I like to go diving at the La Parquera wall. My wife and 2 friends can go snorkeling, but I'd like to also book my wife and a friend to try intro/discovery scuba.

There are three dive shops in La Parquera. Parquera Divers, Paradise Divers (who also do night trip to the bio bay to swim for 30min.), and West Divers.

I tried to contact them. Paradise Diver seems to cater more to snorkelers and student divers while the other two are more for divers. Also, none of them seems too keen in night dives.

Has anyone had recent experience with these ops and can comment on them? Thanks a lot.

I'd love to help!

We used Parguera Divers- I met Angel Rovira at DEMA in the fall and it's his operation. I was VERY impressed with what a fantastic boat he ran with stateside standards and what a hard worker he was. (I believe he is actually from south fla) Angel and his crew were very attentive to the divers, but quickly get an idea of your skill level and leaves you alone once he knows you're competent.

His boat is docked at the Hotel Posada Porlamar which I'd definitely recommend - ask for a room on a higher floor. (angel took care of those reservations for us too) Plus, you get the benefit of awaking to the sound of tanks being loaded onto the boat-what could be better?! :D
and if you dive with him- you can just hang your gear right in his shop by the dock....don't have to drag it back to the room.

Another option of places to stay is Villa Parguera- its right next door and is just a little bit nicer.

The wall was fantastic - apparently were were there on a "low-vis" day which was 100'+ The only down side of our trip was that we didn't get to stay longer! Here's Angel's contact info (tell him i said hi if you talk to him!):
www.pargueradivers.com
Angel's email:dive@...
phone: 787-899-4171
mobile: 787-616-8543

I found it difficult to find info on diving in PR, so feel free to contact me with any more questions and i'll be happy to answer if i can!
We go every year between christmas and new years...the place is beautiful!

D'Anne :)

I was in Puerto Rico last week and stayed in Aguadilla. We did some shore diving there then did some boat diving with West Divers in Parguera for the last two days. Pilar (owner) and Giavanni (dm) did a nice job handling our needs. The boat was clean, well maintained, they provided lunch and helped move our gear to and from the road. I haven't used the other operators mentioned but I can say that I'd use West Divers again.

We used Puerto Rico Technical Diving Center (webediving here on SB) in Aguadilla for our fills and rental cylinders. Tony came in early in the morning and stayed late at night to take care of our gas requirements. He and his wife Brenda showed us some of the local dive sites, arranged our trips with West Divers and made us feel at home. They provided many percs you won't find elsewhere.

Attachments

• tdcpr.jpg
    tdcpr.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 80
  • westdivers1.jpg
    westdivers1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 84
  • westdivers2.jpg
    westdivers2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 74
  • westdivers3.jpg
    westdivers3.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 90
  • westdivers4.jpg
    westdivers4.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 113
OK... The wall is a great dive but it is an advanced dive. You will not have a discover student on the wall nor will snorkelers be taken out.

I'll also recomend Parguera Divers... great operation. Parguera will run an afternoon boat out to the inner reef for snorkelers and discover students. If you are a diver you can go along as well. The water can be a bit cloudy but it will be calm and a great venue for a Discover... snorkeling is also good.

Paradise does run a wonderful night snorkeling trip in the biolumencent bay... its worth it even if you do a day trip out to the wall.

I really can't say anything one way or another about West.

PR Technical Diving Center is a first class operation and will help you out especially if you want to do some north coast shore diving.

Taino Divers in Rincon routinly takes out mixed boats of divers and snorkelers and also does Discover experiences at Desecheo Island. Truth in advertising... I also run the boat and teach for Taino.

Good luck... lets have a trip report when you get back.

I've heard good things about Parguera Divers. Though I haven't used them personally I plan to dive the parguera wall sometime soon and my friends have recommended their operation.
I've also heard really good things about Taino Diver's trip to desecheo and which is supposed to be the BEST dive site in the island...something I'll want to do soon.
So, Tollie, hopefully we'll meet sometime soon. BTW nice website, sweet video.

Happy Diving!

I haven't been to PR in a while, but I dove with Angel at Parguera Divers in '04 & '05. He has a first class operation. Can't comment on the hotels in La Parguera as I was staying at the Copa Marina Beach Resort in Guanica. They also have a dive operation which was very well run. The wall dives are amazing. I was in PR for 18 months on a work project and got to dive the wall a lot and it was always fantastic. The shallower reefs are very nice also. I never dove with West but did buy some gear, (mask, snorkel and boots), from Pilar and was impressed with the service.

Enjoy you trip and the diving.

ciret:
I haven't been to PR in a while, but I dove with Angel at Parguera Divers in '04 & '05. He has a first class operation. Can't comment on the hotels in La Parguera as I was staying at the Copa Marina Beach Resort in Guanica. They also have a dive operation which was very well run. The wall dives are amazing. I was in PR for 18 months on a work project and got to dive the wall a lot and it was always fantastic. The shallower reefs are very nice also. I never dove with West but did buy some gear, (mask, snorkel and boots), from Pilar and was impressed with the service.

Enjoy you trip and the diving.

I stayed at Copamarina two years ago. We were there for just 5 days and had purchased a package of 5 days of diving and 6 nights hotel. The resort was lovely and the staff were great. The dive shop unfortunately left alot to be desired. Without going through the whole story, we got in less then half the dives were paid for. The dives we did were nice. Not spectacular, just nice.

I've since heard that the dive operation onsite is under new ownership and management, but not sure I'd use them regardless. I would stay at Copamarina again but book dives with La Paguera Divers. The resort and area were great.

Appreciate all the comments so far. Dldiver you're right it's not so easy to find diving info for Puerto Rico. From Orlando you can drive to catch last minute cruises to some good diving around. Last year we went to Tampa and Crystal River before getting on Carnival's western Caribbean cruise, it was great. Miesemer, we might take our kids to Hersey this summer (not for diving, but for chocolate:) ), so might look you up.

We plan to stay at the Hotel Torres de La Parguera, Aug. 22-24. They have a good 2-day package. Copamarina sounds nice, but expensive. Torres is supposed to be 5 min. walk to the boats. I'll go to the morning deep dive to the Parquera Wall. It'll be the afternoon where I'm trying to get my wife and a friend to try intro scuba. I'll try to encourage/entice/plead/urge/arm-twist/force/threaten/blackmail them to try. I can dive besides them when that happens.

Nice to hear the good comments on the dive ops there. For morning dives Parquera needs 3 divers to go out, whereas West said 2. For night dives, Parquera nees 5, whereas West needs 4 to go out. The girl who answered at Parquera said the captain (Angel) doesn't usually do night dives, because it makes a long day, so it sounds like they are not keen to do night dives to start with. I hear Aug. is a slow time, so I wonder if the minimum number of divers may become an important factor for me to consider who to book with.

Tollie, we'll go to Rincon next for Desecheo for diving/snorkeling Aug. 25, so we might see you. I've emailed Taino already, too bad Taino doesn't do night dives. I'll have to see if there's good shore dives in the afternoon (near wherever we stay) after Desecheo. I don't get to dive often, so when I get the chance I like to get as many dives in as I can.

Why is the wall advanced? does it start At great depth or is it currents.
I'm Thinking about going next winter. thanks

Torontonian:
Miesemer, we might take our kids to Hershey this summer (not for diving, but for chocolate:) ), so might look you up.

Shoot me a PM when the time gets closer. If you think you can sneak your gear along we could get together for a dive at BSC or Dutch Springs. Let me know if you need any info on Hershey attractions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom