Puerto Rico Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope you are wrong about West Divers. They are a great operation and great people and I was looking forward to diving again with them sometime.

PD

I'm traveling to Ponce, Puerto Rico in mid December and am hoping to catch a few dives between Dec. 16th and Dec. 18th. I'm very interested in any recommendations on dive operations in the La Parguera region although I'm open to suggestions. A friend recommended Parguera Divers but I haven't found a current reference for them. I just saw a strange about the possible closing of West Divers (don't panic , I don't have any confirmation) so I'm a bit confused. I'm an active Divemaster with about 800 logged dives so I'm up for almost anything within recreational dive limits. Any realtime input greatly appreciated!

West Divers PR

I'd go to their website and check into the "Contact Us" link. It's been several months since we dove with them, but they had a clear "alive and well" look when we were there.

There's only a couple of dive ops in La Parguera, and I really can't see them going out of business. They have other interests in the area, so it's not like the dive shop is the only thing they do.

Thanks for the positive review. I'm hoping the post that I saw was wrong as they look the best in La Parguera. I'll drop them a line and report back. The online post that I mentioned was dated only last week, hence my concern.

Any other suggestions for diving in PR?

West Divers PR

I'd go to their website and check into the "Contact Us" link. It's been several months since we dove with them, but they had a clear "alive and well" look when we were there.

There's only a couple of dive ops in La Parguera, and I really can't see them going out of business. They have other interests in the area, so it's not like the dive shop is the only thing they do.

Just spoke with West Divers and it appears that they are temporarily closed but hoping to re-open in January. I did however get a recommendation for Paradise Scuba out of La Parguera. Has anybody had any experiences with them?

Just spoke with West Divers and it appears that they are temporarily closed but hoping to re-open in January. I did however get a recommendation for Paradise Scuba out of La Parguera. Has anybody had any experiences with them?

Wow, that doesn't sound good. We're going back in May, hope they've got it all together by then. :depressed:

Would love a report on Paradise Scuba when you get back, in case we need a back-up plan.

I am bummed to hear that:depressed: Ihope they can reopen.

PD

Hi: I will be staying in Rincon the week after Thanksgiving on business...
Had a great time... I arrived late Monday November 30th in San Juan, spent the night at the Marriott Courtyard. The next morning we drove out to Aquadilla for work, with our hotel in Rincon (Rincon of the Seas). The commute from Rincon to Aquadilla everyday was kind of a pain (45+ minutes each way), but the hotel was nice and had nice view. It's true what they say that sunsets in Rincon are spectacular. Work ended Friday night and Saturday the 5th I dove with Taino Divers, which was about a half mile from our hotel. I called West Divers first, and was also told that they are closed indefinitely, but they recommended Paradise Divers as well. After touring Taino Divers mid-week I decided that I'd use them as they seemed to be a good shop, and I wouldn't have a 1-2 hour drive to get there.

Taino divers had two boats going out - a snorkelers boat and a diving boat - and both were going to Desecheo Island. Because my coworker wasn't a diver they put me on the snorkelers boat with him, and I was to dive with the divemaster. That turned out to be my fortune, as the divers boat blew an engine and returned to shore shortly after they started.

I dove with Frank (the captain) on the first dive at the Candy Land site, and with Jarrod on the second dive on what I think was Las Cuevas dive site. Water was crystal clear with 100+ feet visibility on both dives, and current was non-existent. The crew were both relaxed and professional, and were pretty good guys, and showed me a pretty good time. The swim throughs on the 2nd site were the best I've ever seen. Sea life was good... lots of trunk fish, puffers, squirrel fish (I think), and a pretty good size grouper. Corals were really nice, especially in Candy Land. No octos or eels on this trip, but Jarrod found for me some nudibranchs to photograph.

After the dive we had lunch at the restaurant attached to Taino Divers shop, and I had the grouper taco which was pretty good. Back to the hotel for a 3 hour nap, then got up in time for another spectacular sunset and a roasted pig dinner at the hotel.

Sunday morning we checked out of the hotel and headed South on PR-2 to view a bit more of the island. We ended up in the El Yunque rain forest in the Northeast corner of the island, and spent a couple of hours touring there. We were surprised to find it was run by the U.S. Forest Service.

Sunday afternoon we headed back into Old San Juan, where we checked into the El Convento hotel. El Convento is truly a first class hotel, and is over 300 years old (used to be a convent apparently). Our guidebook recommended it, and we weren't disappointed. Monday morning we toured the old fort, got a taste of Rum at Don-Qs, and caught the 4pm flight back to Portland, OR via Chicago.

Hoping to return again on business next Spring, but we'll see. Next time I'll try down in La Paragua for what's reputed to be some excellent wall diving.

Jerry

Had a great time... I arrived late Monday November 30th in San Juan, spent the night at the Marriott Courtyard. The next morning we drove out to Aquadilla for work, with our hotel in Rincon (Rincon of the Seas). The commute from Rincon to Aquadilla everyday was kind of a pain (45+ minutes each way), but the hotel was nice and had nice view. It's true what they say that sunsets in Rincon are spectacular. Work ended Friday night and Saturday the 5th I dove with Taino Divers, which was about a half mile from our hotel. I called West Divers first, and was also told that they are closed indefinitely, but they recommended Paradise Divers as well. After touring Taino Divers mid-week I decided that I'd use them as they seemed to be a good shop, and I wouldn't have a 1-2 hour drive to get there.

Taino divers had two boats going out - a snorkelers boat and a diving boat - and both were going to Desecheo Island. Because my coworker wasn't a diver they put me on the snorkelers boat with him, and I was to dive with the divemaster. That turned out to be my fortune, as the divers boat blew an engine and returned to shore shortly after they started.

I dove with Frank (the captain) on the first dive at the Candy Land site, and with Jarrod on the second dive on what I think was Las Cuevas dive site. Water was crystal clear with 100+ feet visibility on both dives, and current was non-existent. The crew were both relaxed and professional, and were pretty good guys, and showed me a pretty good time. The swim throughs on the 2nd site were the best I've ever seen. Sea life was good... lots of trunk fish, puffers, squirrel fish (I think), and a pretty good size grouper. Corals were really nice, especially in Candy Land. No octos or eels on this trip, but Jarrod found for me some nudibranchs to photograph.

After the dive we had lunch at the restaurant attached to Taino Divers shop, and I had the grouper taco which was pretty good. Back to the hotel for a 3 hour nap, then got up in time for another spectacular sunset and a roasted pig dinner at the hotel.

Sunday morning we checked out of the hotel and headed South on PR-2 to view a bit more of the island. We ended up in the El Yunque rain forest in the Northeast corner of the island, and spent a couple of hours touring there. We were surprised to find it was run by the U.S. Forest Service.

Sunday afternoon we headed back into Old San Juan, where we checked into the El Convento hotel. El Convento is truly a first class hotel, and is over 300 years old (used to be a convent apparently). Our guidebook recommended it, and we weren't disappointed. Monday morning we toured the old fort, got a taste of Rum at Don-Qs, and caught the 4pm flight back to Portland, OR via Chicago.

Hoping to return again on business next Spring, but we'll see. Next time I'll try down in La Paragua for what's reputed to be some excellent wall diving.

Jerry

Too bad about West Divers, we really enjoyed diving with them. If they're not open when we go back, I guess it will be Paradise Divers, as we want to do more of the wall diving.

When we were in PR in May, we also stayed at El Convento, and will be staying there on our next trip, as well. Old San Juan is a magical city, and it deserves more than just one night if you can swing it.

Thanks for the report!

geraldp, thanx for the report. my wife and I also dived with Taino divers and had a blast with them and the dive at desecho(the food there was good too! huge burgers). If you get to dive in parguera put in trip report - I was supposed to go but had a non-dive incident. Thanx again.

aquabear,
while diving with taino divers did you meet emily the dm?
she filled in on the s/v juliet while we dove mona island.
she knows the names of all the creatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom