Puerto Vallarta diving - trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rayaa3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just finished a trip to Puerto Vallarta - I've been there twice and dove with Pacific scuba both times.

http://www.pacificscuba.com.mx/

The first trip was in May - and conditions were 'ok' vis was about 30 feet, and water temp dipped down to 68 degrees at 80 feet. We wore 5mil suits...and some folks had to wear hoods. However even on this trip - with the limited vis - I had a nice trip. I saw lots of stingrays - I mean LOTS...puffer fish everywhere, a couple of big eels - and whats more is in the lower vis it seems the eels come out alot more - so instead of a little eel tucked away I was treated to 2 feet of long protruding eel coming out of the rocks. Nice.

I'm told visibility gets better the longer into the summer - with the best being August, September, October.

So - when I went back last week - I was impressed at how much conditions had changed - the water was warmer 85 at the surface, 78 at depth - for the first time ever I dove with no wetsuit (I'll never do that again - more on that later) The water was warm and comfortable at depth. The vis is up to about 50 feet - which in the carribean is just ok - but really opened up the dive site in PV. I dove Marietes, and it was AMAZING. I saw octopus and the same suprising appearances of eels out in the middle of everything feeding and showing themselves...but the crown jewel was on the second dive - we spotted a sea turtle aboves us about 15 feet away, but then in the background of the sea turtle about another 15 feet back, we saw the giant outline of a HUGE MANATA RAY. OK - I've heard about them and knew it would be neat to see - but there are no words. This beautiful animal is the most gracefull swimmer I have ever seen - its very much like seeing a a glider gently cut through the air. The silhouette will not leave my mind for some time I promise you.

PV is a different kind of scuba trip - but its definitely a trip worth making - I don't think I would go anytime in the year before July.

OK - now a word about pacific scuba - these guys are great - visit the site - and call them when you get to town - ask them where they are going that week...they make their decisions based on conditions at the various sites. Most sites take about an hour by boat from the pier - sorry - its just part of the deal. The boats are small fast boats - about 24 feet long - and they seem to take out no more than 6 divers at once - in two groups with 2 dive masters. They divide the group up by experience - which is best for everyone involved. The more experienced group usually has better air use and gets a bit more bottom time. On my last trip - I dove with another diver and the dive master in the more experienced group, and the other group was a family of 3 with the dive master - it was great. I got a nice 54 minute 72 foot dive - and the family got a lot of personal attention for their 16 year old daughter on her 2nd trip out.

at any rate - thank you to the guys at pacific scuba for a great trip - see you next time I find myself in town.

I have to agree with the assessment of Pacific Scuba. Good people and they treat you well. We went the first week of July and the water was colder than what you experienced, unfortunately and vis was approximately 25 to 30 feet. The surface temp was 82 and 72 at 45'.

Jean Paul was our dive master and Emilio our capitan. Both did a great job finding the best visibility and dive conditions for us. I dove with my daughter, who is 11, and Jean Paul did a great job catering to her. It was her first ocean dive and it was a fantastic experience for her. To Jean Paul, she was "princess".

We dove just south of Los Arcos, Mahahuitas and Merrietas. My daughter was limited to 60' and Jean Paul kept us well above that. We also saw a lot of sea life, big stingrays, many eels, a plethora of puffer fish, a lot of nudibranch, many stone fish and we also saw 5 sea horses. It was a great experience even though the water temp and visibility wasn't what I was hoping for. My daughter really soaked it all in and she is hooked. Still, even with a 5 mil suit, she didn't like the thermalcline :D .

I almost forgot, we saw a manta on the surface on our way to Mahahuitas. Fantastic! I wish we could have seen one while diving.

I'll try to post a few pics.

the water was warmer 85 at the surface, 78 at depth - for the first time ever I dove with no wetsuit (I'll never do that again - more on that later)

Jellies?

We also just returned from a trip to Puerto Vallarta, we dove on July 2nd. We went to Majahuitas. Leslie from Local Divers was our divemaster, and Nacho was our captain. They took three of us divers and four snorkelers, we were all in the same group so they took just us so we had our own boat.

We did two tank dives, and saw several octopus, a seahorse, tons of eels of different types, many rays, a lobster, lots of blowfish and other types of fish. I was impressed with the variety of different sealife we saw, and Leslie was quick to point it out to us, as well as take our pictures in front of the different sealife.

They had fresh fruit between dives which was a great way to get rid of the salt taste. They also had lots of tips about Puerto Vallarta and stories to tell. There wasn't a communication barrier as Leslie grew up in Chicago. She has lived there for quite a few years now, adn Nacho is from a local town (Chimo).

Sandwiches were included with the diving, however they offered and we accepted to go to a beach restaurant. One of the better meals we had down there, and a good price (resort food isn't all that great).

I would recommend if you go down to check out Leslie and Nacho at http://www.puertovallartadivers.com. I also recommend staying at a hotel/resort in Puerto Vallarta, not Nuevo Vallarta (where we were, and many resorts are). There isn't anything up there but resorts, and it is about 30min drive plus cab fair to get to Puerto Vallarta. We heard several recommendations of places from different people when were there, and I'm sure Local Divers has some too.

i went to puerto vallarta on july 21, conditions were great, we saw seahorses at majahuitas, i dove with pacific scuba, jean paul knows where the sea horses are. so ask him.

i got some jelly fish stings the first day. so its better to dive with a long sleeve lycra,
since the water temp is really warm.

we also dove at el morro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom