Puffy eyes and facial skin after dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+2 on the mask squeeze.

Also, how well does your mask fit? A mask that fits perfectly rarely leaks, so you don't have to deal with salt water in your eyes. To check the fit of your mask, place it in position without the strap and breathe in. If it seals well and doesn't fall off, it fits. Otherwise, get a better fitting mask. Sniff in every time you put on your mask to create a good seal. Also put on your mask and take it off away from the water, if possible, to avoid water in your eyes.

and saves you some money too!!
Even the babyshampoo mix stings my eyes. I've long gone back to my own spit. Works great and doesn't bother my eyes.

I am your age, dive constantly, and have never noticed any deleterious effect of diving on my skin.

If you are getting red eyes, one of two things is happening: Either you are reacting to something on your skin or in your mask that is irritate your eyes (diffuse pinkness of the whites) or you are not equalizing your mask (bright red patches). Not equalizing the mask could also result in puffiness, if the suction is pulling fluid into the delicate tissues beneath the eye.

Equalizing a mask is easy -- you just let a little air out through your nose until the mask is no longer suction-cupped to your face.

Sun, and salt air, can cause skin dryness and roughness. I have found my usual moisturizer works fine, because it incorporates a sunscreen.

Back
Top Bottom