Purchase own tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Air tanks and nitrox tanks are the same. There is no difference.

Keep in mind that the nitrox cylinders will need to be O2 clean and to keep them that way you will need to make sure that any plain air fills are with suitable air to maintain the O2 clean condition, not all air fills are.

I think that's the crux of the variable use cylinder. After that it's a matter of what sort of diving you intend to do. Generally if you are actively diving you can't have too many cylinders.

Pete

i am thinking that the hassle of labelling and relabelling from air-nitrox-air and making sure the air fills are o2 clean is way too much hassle.

i will probably buy a tank and use solely for nitrox and keep my air tank for just that.

spectrum:
Keep in mind that the nitrox cylinders will need to be O2 clean and to keep them that way you will need to make sure that any plain air fills are with suitable air to maintain the O2 clean condition, not all air fills are.
Not to stray off topic, but tanks only need to be O2 cleaned if the tanks will be filled using the partial pressure fill method. Banked Nitrox or continuous flow systems do not require that the tanks be O2 cleaned, since 100% O2 is never introduced to the tank directly.

burnsfamily382:
i am thinking that the hassle of labelling and relabelling from air-nitrox-air and making sure the air fills are o2 clean is way too much hassle.

i will probably buy a tank and use solely for nitrox and keep my air tank for just that.

Howdy, neighbor. I understand. Around Orlando, Diver's Direct air is readily available, but they have told me that it is not good enough for nitrox, and will "unclean" an oxygen clean cylinder. They say that they'll be getting nitrox in the near future, so that may clean up their air.

The other shops have nitrox, and that air should be good enough for any cylinder. However for nitrox, some want you to drop off your tanks and pick them up later. That's extra driving and hassel.

Keeping one tank for air only is handy. An old 80 is good for that. For simple dives like Blue Springs or Alexander, I grab it and go. The refill is less costly and time consuming.

We had a great shop in Apopka that had membrane nitrox while you wait. It sure made it easy. With those guys gone, the extra cylinder is a time saver.

thanks for the advice about dd and nitrox/clean air refills.

i just got back from divers direct and hadn't even considered asking them....doh! i did buy an air refill card though which gives 12 for $40. good value, i thought.

Joe

Stu S.:
Hey, Yeroks. Is 80 cu. ft. enough? My daughter uses them (HP steel) and she weighs in around 112 pounds.

The aluminum 80 was a good size when it was invented. We had no Nitrox or computers to give us extra bottom time. The dive tables told you "time to go" before you got short on air. Most computer and Nitrox divers probably have more bottom time than gas when using an 80. I regularly used a 120 a couple of years ago, and ended up with plenty of extra air after each dive. Great if you are a cave or wreck diver.

For many of us regular size men, 100 cu. ft. is the amount of air we need to have a safe amount left when the computer says "time to go". Are you able to try a few different sizes?

I see your point. I was looking at 80s since that's what I'm familiar with from diving AL. If I decide to pick up a tank, I'll definitely consider going larger. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom