Purchasing my first set of gear for scientific diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arcticor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!

First post on the site here, bc I'm looking for advice. I'm a few days away from purchasing a full set of scuba gear for use primarily as a tool for scientific diving. I need to purchase:

• BCD
  • Regulator (International or DIN w yoke adaptor)
  • Octopus
  • Pressure Gauge
  • Depth gauge or comp
  • Compass
  • Surface marker buoy with spool or reel
  • Pocket mask
  • Dive knife
I already have a mask, fins, snorkel, booties, flashlight, etc. I don't really know what to look for for BCDs. I don't think I want one of the classic rental "jacket style" ones that have air in the front and back, I'm deciding between a back-inflate and a BP&W system. I've used a back-inflate before, but not a BP&W. I'm definitely comfortable with the back inflate system, but i'm worried about the lack of modularity w the system. I like the fact that it can have integrated weights, as I'm not a huge fan of weight belts. If I'm planning on doing a lot of scientific diving in the future (I'm a college student hoping to work for NOAA or some such in the future), I'm not sure how much the back-inflate will limit me in terms of adaptability to more technical diving. With the BP&W system, I like the fact that its very flexible in its set up - it seems like if I want to buy a rig I'd want it to be able to be useable in the most situations. However, I'm not sure how the weight system works on a backplate/wing system. My friends who use that set up use a weight belt, which is a slight drawback in my eyes. Are there other ways of carrying weights besides the weight belt? I've never dove w one before either, which makes me a little hesitant buying something I have no experience with. However, it seems like the BP&W system is something I'll be using in the future, so part of me thinks I should jump right into it.

For the regulator, I got a recommendation for the Aqua Lung Mikron. I like the fact that it's compact, bc I figure the less bulk I have in my system the better. I'll probably get this for my primary reg unless people have other recommendations.

For the Octo, I'm thinking it should be something from Aqua lung as there's less of a chance of a compatibility issue w my first stage. I've heard good things about the Calypso/Titan octo, but that's just from browsing the internet. Would like some advice as to what octo to get.

For the air pressure/depth/compass system. The program I'm diving with rn supplies my dive computer, so I'd like to have pressure/depth/compass independent of my dive comp for now. Really clueless here. What works best, a single module that has all three, or would you guys recommend a wrist mounted compass or something else?

Dive knife - I'm assuming just a relatively inexpensive diver's tool? I've heard stories about people dropping their super expensive dive knife while narked and diving too deep trying to retrieve it, so I figure if its something on the cheaper side I can just replace it rather than potentially harming myself. I don't really plan on dropping anything, but things to think about.

This is all a lot to think about for me, so I'd love to hear some feedback from the more experienced divers. Anything you have to say would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Arcticor.

You may find, as a working science diver, that your gear needs to be compatible with that of others in the program you are diving with. In fact, as a working science diver, you might well be supplied with the gear to use. Are you talking about diving as part of your college work, or afterwards when you begin your career(s)?

I'm talking both. Right now the research I'm doing at college requires that I provide my own scuba gear (rent/buy), but there aren't any specifications as to what we use bc its just simple things like transects and organism counts at <100ft. I'm hoping whatever I get I'll be able to use in my work in the future too though, since this is a rather large investment.

You have much more flexibility with a BPW, but what size wing depends on your diving. You can put dumpable weight pockets on the waist strap.
No exposure suit on your list?
DIN/yoke depends on the tanks available. Converters for a DIN reg to use a yoke valve are a pain in the butt: heavy and bulky.
Gauges on a console are awkward for science diving; better to be able to glance at your wrist. So SPG, plus a wrist computer is the way to go. If you need a compass for things like transects, then one on a retractor from a shoulder D-ring, or attached to the recording slate you are using, is better than on a console or in a computer or on your wrist.
Knife? Depends on where you are diving. Mosty you need a line cutter, or shears.

This stuff ought to have been covered in your science-diving course.

P.S. Don't spend a fortune on this stuff; as your diving and experience evolves, you'll need different stuff.

Though it's now included in my new book, "SCUBA: A Practical Guide to Advanced Level Training," I have an 11-page article on BPW style BC's and options you have with them that I send to anyone who asks and provides me with an email address.
Short version is that depending on the BPW you buy there are numerous options for integrated weights. The first of which is the plate itself that will allow you to remove 2-6 lbs of lead right off the bat depending on whether you choose aluminum or steel.
Other factors to consider are the BPW does not have any unnecessary padding and the wing is less likely to trap air as a jacket or even some back inflates will do. This also decreases the amount of lead you need. Divers can take anywhere up to 10 lbs of lead off the belt depending on the BC they previously used.
Knowing this will help you to decide on a weight system. Personally, I use a belt with individual pockets and pockets on the cam bands to distribute the weight I need to carry. You can also add pockets to the waist belt if you like.
Where in Ohio are you? I am just across the border in PA. I have access to an indoor heated pool and have several BPW set ups I could allow you to try with various weighting options if you were willing to come to me. I'd just need a few days notice to make sure no other classes are in the pool on that day.
If you then decided to purchase a rig from me it would take me only 3 days or so to get it in. Then I'd have you come back to pick it up and take you in the pool to get it adjusted as close as possible and go over the use of it. Including the rescue skills related to it. This would be at no additional charge.

What computer are they providing? A wrist mount, an air integrated wrist mount or a console? Because the latter two each need a HP port on the regulator - esp. if you plan to use your own also. The Mikron has 2.

For redundancy (transmitter/receiver failure) most people diving AI also add a backup SPG on a short hose. You can usually tell where you are in the water, but a good balanced regulator (like the Mikron) will deliver consistent gas until it's mostly gone.

I wouldn't lose much sleep over a dive knife. Good ones are $40 or less. I personally buy a blunt-tip but I mount the sheath on a flap that compresses my wing so I don't want to poke it by mistake.

Here's a couple things to consider. I believe AAUS is one of the larger Scientific Diving organizations in the world. They have diving standards for gear etc. I cherry-picked thru the 2016 requirements so you might contact them to find out whether what you're considering buying is compatible.
All equipment shall meet standards as determined by the Diving Safety Officer and the Diving Control Board.
Only those makes and models of dive computers specifically approved by the Diving Control Board may be used.
Both members of the buddy team must have an underwater timing device, an approved depth indicator, and a submersible pressure gauge
Regulators
Only those makes and models specifically approved by the Diving Safety Officer and the Diving Control Board shall be used.
There's a lot more in a generic form so here's the link:
Diving Standards - American Academy of Underwater Sciences

Also they seem to have a pricing deal with Oceanic, Hollis, Shearwater and Nautilus. Shearwater makes extremely easy to read computers and their latest - the Perdix AI is featured in our Articles section.
American Academy of Underwater Sciences - American Academy of Underwater Sciences

One point to consider (hard to know of course) is if you possibly got involved with them later at a remote location, I'd wonder if the DSO might also have recommendations based on what he knows can be serviced locally. I think Aqualung would generally fall into that category but IDK for certain.

If you ever need to dive from a liveaboard, Aggressor Fleet is an Aqualung partner so possibly has parts on-board - you're not going to find a shop anywhere near most places they go - Cayman or Turks/Caicos being exceptions.

Think about pointing a compass with any frequency. I'm not sure I'd want one anywhere but on my wrist or on a retractor out from my chest area. My buddy has a 3gauge console and it seems unwieldy - I occasionally see it bang into boat ladders etc - and he does have it clipped off. Not good to be damaging what you're trying to observe....lol.

I'm not a backplate/wing fan if you're doing a lot of traveling. Steel plates are heavy in checked/carry-on luggage. I'd go with a back-inflate travel model like Aqualung's Zuma - it keeps your front clear for work and rolls up compact into a small bag that fits in your carry-on (if there's room) I have never been anywhere in the world where they offer tanks that doesn't also offer weights so carrying it around everywhere seems silly to me. But I'm mostly a rec. diver also so a lb. or two of extra weight in a weight integrated bc to compensate for the straps/padding doesn't bother me like it apparently does the BP/W minority here on SB. A look at any retailers offerings - online or in the store - will plainly indicate what most prefer. Unless that store is in Cave Country where there's solid reasons for one.

Also look for 1000/1050 Denier wings on models, they're over twice as abrasion resistant as some of the 420 denier options used on travel BC's - even possibly the Zuma - IDK. No one plans to scrape the coral but it happens...

hth, I'm in no way involved in scientific diving.

Last edited:
For the type of work you describe, you don't need anything special. One thing you may find, however, is a need to use doubles in the future. I spent a week doing surveys on the Flower Garden Banks and ended using doubles as I was assisting two teams and ended up with 80 minute bottom times. In such a case a BP/W will definitely be the better way to go. You can use a single tank adapter with your rig today for a single tank, but then also use the same rig for doubles in the future. With a jacket-style BC, you probably would not be able to use it with doubles later on.

As for a regulator, most manufacturers make decent gear. One of the things I look for is whether or not my local shop can service my gear. Scuba gear can last a long time and if you plan to move after college, then this may not be a consideration for you now. Regardless, most shops can service the major brands. Your octopus should be the same brand as your primary. It'll be designed to work with the intermediate pressure of your first stage.

For your spg, you have a couple of options. You can get a console with your pressure/depth and/or compass/back-up computer. Some people really like to have all the information in one place on their console. I personally like getting my depth/bottom time info from my wrist computer and using a stand-alone spg. Some wrist-mounted computers now have a built in compass. It just stream lines things a bit. Really this will just depend on personal preference.

For knives, you don't need a big, expensive shark-killer. I carry a small knife (maybe 3" blade) and a separate line cutter. I think I paid less than $25 for each.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

You have much more flexibility with a BPW, but what size wing depends on your diving. You can put dumpable weight pockets on the waist strap.
No exposure suit on your list?
DIN/yoke depends on the tanks available. Converters for a DIN reg to use a yoke valve are a pain in the butt: heavy and bulky.
Gauges on a console are awkward for science diving; better to be able to glance at your wrist. So SPG, plus a wrist computer is the way to go. If you need a compass for things like transects, then one on a retractor from a shoulder D-ring, or attached to the recording slate you are using, is better than on a console or in a computer or on your wrist.
Knife? Depends on where you are diving. Mosty you need a line cutter, or shears.

This stuff ought to have been covered in your science-diving course.

P.S. Don't spend a fortune on this stuff; as your diving and experience evolves, you'll need different stuff.

Ok, great. I'd much prefer weight pockets than a weight belt. With rental gear, I dive with 10lbs on me. I already own a wetsuit, which I'll be using, hence no exposure suit on the list. So I should get just a basic oil-filled SPG hooked up to my air, then have depth and bottom time on my comp? Something to note is that the next dives I'll be doing are for my scientific diving course, which I need to supply my own gear for (hence the post, and the lack of knowledge).

I guess one thing I should know is if there is anything I miss out on using the BP/W setup that I would get from a BC.

I guess one thing I should know is if there is anything I miss out on using the BP/W setup that I would get from a BC.
Pockets to carry stuff. So you take less stuff and clip what you need to D-rings. And look at tech shorts with pockets that are worn over your exposure suit. Your wing size (lift) depends on your wetsuit, weights, tanks, gear you are carrying etc.

Back
Top Bottom