Pure Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where did I say I do not teach? What I said was, and you quoted it, was I don't sell classes. That's right, I give them away...it is a benefit of going on trips that I lead.

I just went back and looked at the earlier posts. I can't find anyone who fits your "Is it a coincidence that the only people here who seem to have an issue with people just taking OW and diving shallow are all instructors?"

You appear to have some serious grudge against instructors in general and me in particular. I guess it fits your narrative. The problem is your narrative does not fit reality.

I have no grudge with instructors, I just do not believe they are training up to a high enough standard for their students own safety. As for you personally, I do not think we have ever talked before so why would I have a grudge with you?

Not contradiction at all. I do believe OW divers should be trained to at least a minimum standard for their own safety and I do not feel that is being done with a dumbed down OW course. I have no problem putting safety before cost but with the current culture instructors seem to be putting cost, or more to the point profits, before safety. Back in the 70s AOW was an advanced course but now it is just OW2. Also back then the wash out rate for OW was about 25% to 30% but now almost 100% pass. Beyond that they should pursue whatever it is they choose.

I guess you didn't understand the part about the change in instructional philosophy, the one in which people do not fail the classes, they just keep working in it until they either pass or decide that scuba is not for them.

He misses a lot of things John. It would be easier to safely hand feed a pissed off silverback than it is to get this guy to acknowledge that it's not 1998 anymore.

He misses a lot of things John. It would be easier to safely hand feed a pissed off silverback than it is to get this guy to acknowledge that it's not 1998 anymore.

Was that a typo? Did you mean 1978?

In 1998 standards for almost all agencies were almost exactly the same as they were last year, so he could not have been talking about dumbing down since then. This year PADI introduced new standards for OW, and they include a number of additional new requirements, so the standards were increased. He could not have described those as a dumbing down.

... it's not 1998 anymore.

Wat! I've been stocking up on canned food and freaking out about Y2K for nuthin???

That's funny. My neighbor bought a freaking pallet of MREs. I really hope they were all the vegetarian omelette.

Was that a typo? Did you mean 1978?

In 1998 standards for almost all agencies were almost exactly the same as they were last year, so he could not have been talking about dumbing down since then. This year PADI introduced new standards for OW, and they include a number of additional new requirements, so the standards were increased. He could not have described those as a dumbing down.

It depends on if we are referring to training standards or plankton..lmao

What does knowing how to make money have to do with it? I make money at my day job. I teach diving because I love diving and want to share it with others

:rofl3: You guys are too funny! I had no idea instructors were still telling people that they make no money teaching scuba 45 years after I heard that for the first time. Your still telling that story, you seem sure that people believe it and you think I am the one with a credibility problem? Thanks guys, I really needed a good laugh today!

Last edited:
imagegif
You guys are too funny! I had no idea instructors were still telling people that they make no money teaching scuba 45 years after I heard that for the first time. Your still telling that story, you seem sure that people believe it and you think I am the one with a credibility problem? Thanks guys, I really needed a good laugh today!

Some people have plenty of money. At that point in a normal persons life we no longer have to focus on generating income. Greedy people and poor people focus on money.

I'm so confused by this thread.

Last week I went to eighty *nine* feet, when I could have stayed at 80 if I'd just paid more attention.

In my original reg and BC from 15 years ago.

And drank some green stuff my wife said was good for me.

I had no idea that it was all so important. Live and learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom