Purge masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String and DevonDiver covered the defogging procedures very well so I'll skip that. What I will add is that even if you do spit in your mask (I'm covering spitting because it is the only defogging solution I have ever used or had contact with) you won't be guaranteed to be fog free. You have to really wipe it all around, not just spit then rinse.

I had a student whose mask fogged up repeatedly after I personally toothpasted it for about 15 minutes. Then her mask leaked so we switched and then, on the next dive, the mask she was wearing (my mask) fogged up! This was despite my mask never having a history of fogging up for 150 dives. So next time she she defogged her mask (actually my mask) I watched her and she wasn't rubbing it in properly. So naturally her (my) mask also fogged up.

So I guess what I am trying to say with this long winded and convoluted story is that you should make sure you defog your mask properly before the dive even if you have already pretreated the glass with a lighter or toothpaste.

I am in the process of replacing my mask skirt with one without a purge valve. The purge valve has become painful on my nose especially if I do more than 2 dives in a day. It is a prescription mask.

Back
Top Bottom