Purge masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found it difficult to equalize with a purge mask. I certified in cold water, and with gloves on, there wasn't enough room for me to get up there beyond the valve to pinch my nose. If there's no purge, you can just squeeze any part of the nose area.

When it fails, and it will, buy yourself a good low volume mask without purge, side or bottom windows, or any other gimmicks.

By "good" I mean one that is robustly made, and fits you properly and doesn't leak. I don't mean "expensive". Any more than $50 and you should think very carefully whether that's the one for you.

Slight change of topic but worth noting... I think. I have and use both types, but I have noticed how much more clear and focused my view/vision is when I use my "back-up" and far cheaper mask with the "no frills", ie.; no side windows etc., I have found that my black low volume mask not only fits well, is more comfortable because of the no purge valve up my nose, but increases my vision by blocking out side distractions and blury shadows.

The only way to describe it is look at a piece of paper with writing on it, then put your hands around the side of your eyes like horse blinders and see how much clearer the writing seems.

So in my opinion, skip the purge valve and side lens crap and go the simple, yet clear route.

It seems like the vast majority (by far) of masks at dive shops do not have purge valves. Why aren't there more of those types? Is there a downside to having a purge valved mask?

:cheers:
Steve

Because they're a solution to a problem that doesnt exist. Its not hard to blow through nose and tilt a head back!
The valves are large, the masks are expensive and above all the things clog with silt, sand and so on often resulting in a mask permanently letting water IN. The same for the snorkels with purge valves.

The don't solve any problem and create a new one. Because of that they aren't popular. Generally they're sold to new and inexperienced divers by cynical sales stuff trying to exploit the well known new-diver phobia about mask clearing.

My first mask had a purge valve--I guess I got suckered in by a sales clerk who extolled the virtues the feature. When it failed by flooding continually, I took it back to the shop (it seemed ridiculous that such an expensive mask should flood for no apparent reason) where they replaced the damaged/warped purge valve which was allowing backwash of water into the mask. During the period that the mask was at the repair shop, I switched to my less expensive backup, which had no purge in it, and I realized that I prefer a purgeless mask.

Later, though working with lots of divers, I came to realize that the purge feature is excellent for those divers who always exhale through their noses rather than through the regulator. The purge valve lets that air escape easily without fogging up the mask. Nose exhalers who wear purgeless masks tend to have greater mask fogging issues than those who exhale exclusively through the regulator.

Isn't that better dealt with by training? - don't routinely exhale through your nose.

I'm a new diver, so I've been using the same mask I bought for snorkling a couple years ago. The mask has a purge valve and comes in handy getting the water out after I open it up to clear the fog. It seems like the vast majority (by far) of masks at dive shops do not have purge valves. Why aren't there more of those types? Is there a downside to having a purge valved mask?

:cheers:
Steve

Sorry for veering slightly off topic but the underlined section above caught my attention. Actually I am a bit surprised that no one else has mentioned it yet. Are you not defogging your mask before the dive? Or is your mask one of those stubborn ones that refuses to be defogged no matter what you do to it?

There should be no reason that you should have to flood your mask to clear away the fog ... ever. If it is the former, just get some defog solution, baby shampoo, spit or whatever. If it is the latter, just get a new mask! Preferably one without a purge. :blinking:

Isn't that better dealt with by training? - don't routinely exhale through your nose.
In my case, when I'm working with students, I do try to get them to breathe only through the reg, and while most manage, not all do. I wouldnt deny a cert to a diver for failing to exhale through the reg only! (Most of those with this tendency actually breathe out simultaneously through both the reg and nose.)

The bigger issue for me is that most of my divers are fun divers. We generally don't get a chance to address breathing through the reg unless they complain about mask fogging, then we can talk about nose breathing as being a possible cause.

I have a mask with a purge. Bought for the same reason as the OP, for snorkeling prior to certification. I have 793 dives. It hasn't failed yet. It fits my face perfectly. I exhale through my nose occasionally and it's easier with the purge, although possible without one too. My husband is on mask #3. The last two lacked purges, both leaked a lot and both failed. (He has a mustache) Masks fail, just have a working spare. The purge has nothing to do with it. That little purge valve is easy to remove and clean BTW, you just have to remember to do it.

The valve poppet is prone to warping, at any rate in a hot climate. It's not just a matter of keeping it clean. When I said they fail I meant they become unusable without replacing parts (and those parts are unavailable). How did your husband's non-purge masks fail?

There is also the question of equalising, as someone raised. Some purge masks (not all) leave insufficient room for a man's fingers (generally larger than a woman's) to get in to pinch the nose.

I've just never felt the need for a purge mask, and it's one more thing to go wrong. The fewer failure points your gear has the better.

I've used a purge mask for 8 years, and the purge has performed flawlessly. I don't normally exhale through my nose, but if I need to, I can. It's also the size of a small aquarium, and not the coolest mask on the boat. But, it works for me. Use it if it works for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom