Purge masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's a question of exhaling through the nose, you can do that in an ordinary non-purge mask. You do stand a risk of the mask misting up, though I should have thought this was true of a purge mask too.

I exhale through my nose quite a lot without thinking about it and don't have a problem with fogging. Id be rubbish on a rebreather though for that reason.

I've used a purge mask for 8 years, and the purge has performed flawlessly.

I've used a mask, the old Scubapro Trivent, for over 19 years now with a purge and mine too has performed flawlessly. The purge has never needed cleaning out. A few years back I bought another mask. It is one from Atomic Aquatics and it's a top of the line mask. I decided to move away from the Trivent and go with a low profile mask. Now it's a great mask, but after one trip, I was back to the good old Trivent. (It's the mask in my picture) I even bought an extra one off of e-bay and pretty much had to pay the full price because so many people wanted it.

I just love the fit of the mask and the view it gives me and clearing it couldn't be any easier. I don't know if there is any significant upside to using a mask with a purge but I certainly don't see any downside as well. If that's what a person likes and gets use to, then by all means keep using one.

Sorry for veering slightly off topic but the underlined section above caught my attention. Actually I am a bit surprised that no one else has mentioned it yet. Are you not defogging your mask before the dive? Or is your mask one of those stubborn ones that refuses to be defogged no matter what you do to it?

There should be no reason that you should have to flood your mask to clear away the fog ... ever. If it is the former, just get some defog solution, baby shampoo, spit or whatever. If it is the latter, just get a new mask! Preferably one without a purge. :blinking:

Hmmm...Please excuse my newbie ignorance, but is there a type of glass that is less prone to fogging? I've used the defog solution on my mask, which happens to be a top of the line model...at K-Mart in Marathon:rofl3: The solution helped a little, but it eventially seems to wear out.

I'm going to look into one of those frameless no-purge ones when I get down to Florida next week. At the very least, I can use it as a backup. My K-Mart purge one does fit comfortably, and I haven't had any problems with the purge (just the fogging).

FWIW, my motorcycle helmets fog frequently too, unless I installed the anti-fog shield cover.

Thanks for all the info,
Steve

Defog is snake oil. Against something sold by ruthless sales people to unknowing newcomers.
There is no "better" type of glass but you DO have to prepare it before use and afterwards.
The best option ive found with a new mask is to heat the inside of the lens with a lighter. The oil residue will go black - it will NOT melt the mask if you're careful. Then once the inside is completely black use toothpaste (paste NOT the gels) rubbing hard to remove the black. Do this with a new mask and do it at later dates as well as it gets used.

Before diving spit in the mask and rub it in HARD taking care to cover all the area. Do NOT rinse the mask then as it defeats the purpose. Then when you roll in just prior to or as you start the descent THEN completely flood and swill the mask and put it back on your face. It wont fog then.
I see no end of people spit, rub then swill then wait a bit before getting in and it fogs. Its important its not rinsed until actually starting the dive and underwater.

I find Brasso works on new masks.

Down here we commonly use baby shampoo, applied as String said. I find spitting (well, actually licking) works well, but whenever I offer to do this for guests they decline. I have no idea why.

Ive tried the licking trick mid dive on a mask. It doesnt work as well.
Also, if you carry a backup mask, spit in that, rub it in then put mask back into the pocket. Otherwise when you come to use it you'll find it mists. Everyone forgets the backup!

As well as the initial preparation (scrubbing with non-gel toothpaste, running a flame over the inside of the glass etc) and pre-dive preparation (spitting, baby shampoo or licking (wtf!?!)), be aware that masks become less prone to fogging as they 'wear in' the more you use them.

I've used the same Cressi masks for the last 8 years. They just never fog any more. Not ever. I still spit in them pre-dive though.

As others have said... the expensive 'de-fog' solutions are nothing more than 'snake oil'. They are no more effective than spitting or cheap baby shampoo.

Don't under-estimate the benefit of preparing your mask once you buy it. Burn the residue from glass with a lighter. Finish that off with non-gel toothpaste, scrubbed into the glass with your finger. I typically scrub and rinse the mask for 5 minutes, at least 10 times.

Oh yeah.... and when you are preparing to dive...spit in your mask...put it straight on...do you entry... then rinse it in the sea before descending. I do believe that the spit congeals a little, which makes it more effective.

...That also avoids having to dip your mask into a bucket on the boat which is nothing more than a bacteria ridden spitoon that everyone else will use. :(

It always makes me laugh when divers turn their noses up at the idea of spitting in their masks, they use expensive de-fog solution...and then rinse that mask in a bucket of other divers' phlegm.. ha ha ha

"The valve poppet is prone to warping, at any rate in a hot climate. It's not just a matter of keeping it clean. When I said they fail I meant they become unusable without replacing parts (and those parts are unavailable). How did your husband's non-purge masks fail?"

I think the warping must depend upon the material the poppet is made from. Mine has a hard clear plastic base with a floppy silicone seal that doesn't retain any shape at all. Is it the hard plastic that warps where you are? I'm in CA so it does get hot here in the summer, but no warping so far.

My husband's masks, both the same manufacturer and design, (I can't remember which though) failed where the glass connects to the mask. He's currently diving one of my spares. I had originally bought 5 of those purge masks at Costco for a family trip to MX. Being cheap, I'll use them until they all wear out. He likes that they don't leak but, they are clear silicone and he's a photographer, so he wants one with a black skirt. He's currently shopping for the perfect mask....

In many years of diving, and owning hundreds of different masks used for rental in my dive center, I've never had a mask fail where the glass joins the skirt. Not one. Your husband was unbelievably unlucky. The biggest problem I've had with my personal masks is that cockroaches love to eat the silicon plastic and we have a lot of cockroaches here. I've lost several masks over the years, all bar one to cockroaches. The other was one someone dropped a tank on.

I've never seen a purge mask work for long before leaking. Normally it's bits of seagrass or sand that get in to the poppet seat, especially when snorkelling, but too many I've seen (I've never owned one) have had warped poppets that simply can't seal. These poppets are all made of soft silicon plastic, the same material the mask skirt is made from.

Back
Top Bottom