Purge Poll?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a U.S. Divers mask without a purge valve. It seems like sometimes a little water would get into my snorkle(thru the valve) so I guess I just figured it would be just one more thing that could go wrong(they always seemed kind of flimsy looking). I have no problems clearing my mask and am happy with it.

No urge to purge here, use a Mares freediving mask, ultra low volume. Don't need or want any holes in my mask to leak.

So there you have it.

ID

All the purge masks I've tried make it difficult squeeze my nostrils shut for equalizing. I don't use that method often anymore, but sometimes I might if I'm having diffculties. Plus I guess since I'm a mustache man, I've gotten use to purging often and I have no need for a purge valve.

Everyone is different. My primary mask has a purge. My second does not. With a purge I do find myself exhaling thru my nose more. But I don't have a problem with either mask even though I do have a mustache. The key is they both fit very well.

Originally posted by Starfish
He wanted the purge mask back. I told him okay, if I could get a Cessi "Big Eyes."

Going to use the Cressi in the pool next week.

Hey Starfish,
I have the Big Eyes as well. I pretty much bought them in a hurry because they were with a package deal. The cool thing about them, is that with the Big lenses, you can have a relatively substantial amount of water in there, and it's not going to get in your eyes unless you look way up. After I bought them, I was looking at getting a purge mask, but now I'm satisfied and don't feel the need for a purge.

Have you had a chance to try them out yet?

I've tried a purge mask, but found equalizing was a hassle. Mares makes a mask called the Lirica that has the strap buckles near the top of the mask to make clearing easy. Problem I had with that was the lower skirt would leak around my moustache since all the strap force was up on top. I currently switch off between a ScubaPro Frameless and a Dacor Bandit. Once you get the hang of it, clearing a mask is easy.

Just remember it's your dollar. If you like it and it isn't a hazard, you got the right one.

I dont think a purge in needed. If anything it seems to cause a little bit of leaking. With proper traing clearing a mask is no problem without the valve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom