Pushing Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight once bubbled...

1) Ah yes, another diver who has reached that higher level than the rest of us dangerous creatures out there...

2) My choice is that the risk to reward ratio makes cave diving unattractive to me..

1) you know not with whom you speak

2) That is the one intelligent thing that you have said.

Cave diving does require a small amount of deductive reasoning. You have deducted that you don't belong.

Thank you for the deduction. That leaves more caves for Mike, Chickdiver, thumper, myself, and the others who understand that you are incorrect.

Cheers and safe (non-overhead) diving,
Sherpa

The difference is that seeing a few idiots does not prove that most recreational divers are bad. I see unsafe divers now and again, but a large majority are safe. (Some of them are doing things that irk certain Nazi DM's but that is another story.)

You're correct, seeing a few doesn't mean that most are unsafe. Seeing thousands, however, does.

I'm not a cave diver, I'm a wreck diver. I'm also a 10 year Key Largo dive boat captain and instructor. Fact of the matter is that Mike is right and you're wrong.

The average recreational diver does ONE dive trip per year, average number of dives is 6-10 (within a week's time). Throw one small problem in the mix and all training is forgotten and its instant panic.

The "average recreational diver" is 50% overweighted, out of shape, and using rental gear which he is not familiar with.

This same "average recreational diver" has no business in the water without direct supervision.

Your remark about "nazi divemasters" is offensive. What is it that these "nazis" want? Do they want you to stay within depth limits? Time limits? Go the right direction? Wear the proper gear? Come up with a breath or two left in your tank? Not destroy the reef? Not puke in the head? What is it that makes them "nazis"?

You call Mike arrogant, no doubt you will call me the same. That's cool. We call you a rescue waiting to happen. If I were placing bets on whether you would come back safely from a 60' reef or Mike from a 1/4 mile cave my money is on him.

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...

We call you a rescue waiting to happen.

If I were placing bets on whether you would come back safely from a 60' reef or Mike from a 1/4 mile cave my money is on him.

Tom

A rescue? how about a recovery!

I'm on the bet with mike. We can even give him a free flowing regulator at point of furthest penetration and my money would still be on him.:D

Sorry guys, I wasn't able to dive today due to finals and I'm in a piss-poor mood.
Cheers and safe diving,
Sherpa

Divesherpa once bubbled...
A rescue? how about a recovery!

I try to think positively. I also know that the primary reason so few recreational divers die is because of the quality of the average boat-based "nazi divemaster". 99% are rescued.

Tom

Seems that some of you are wishing that something bad happens to me. That is out of place and out of line.

Oh, yes Wreckwriter, you are arrogant. (Let's make it official.)

Nazi Divemasters? How about the guys that call 50' dives after 35 minutes because they don't want to be late for lunch, or the DM's that worry divers about reverse profiles when there is no evidence that reverse profiles are bad?

After a while some DM's get to be like cops. All cops see is crime because that is what they are looking for. Some DM's reach a state where they think everyone is incompetent except for themselves. Certainly, when 5 out of 25 divers are causing problems it will take all of the DM's attention and he will feel like everyone is bad. Perhaps you guys would like a world where speeding tickets were routinely issued for 1 mph over.

If things are as bad as you guys say, then the entire dive industry needs to be completely changed and it would cost at least $1500 to get a c-card.

Know not with whom I speak? You don't either.

Seems that some of you are wishing that something bad happens to me.

If things are as bad as you guys say, then the entire dive industry needs to be completely changed and it would cost at least $1500 to get a c-card.

Nobody is wishing anything bad on you, LEADWEIGHT, quite the opposite. We are hoping that you come to realize that you don't know what you are talking about and if this carries over into you knowledge of OW diving, then you are doomed.

$1500 a c-card? I wish I could charge $1500 for an OW class. I would throw in lunch. :D

I was referring to the other instructor that you were bashing, not myself.
The joys of the internet are that you can remain anonymous and ignorant and we can only hope that you are baiting us. If you are serious, then I recommend a new hobby.
Cheers,
Sherpa

P.S. You may want to take a Scuba Review with someone who can teach you how to dive. It is guaranteed to help you and you may learn from an instructor who will teach and won't charge $1500. Mike, Chickdiver, or I could do this for you. Maybe even one of WreckWriter's DM's could do the trick.

P.S.S. I sound like George Junior tonight. I need to go diving.

Divesherpa once bubbled...

We are hoping that you come to realize that you don't know what you are talking about and if this carries over into you knowledge of OW diving, then you are doomed.

The joys of the internet are that you can remain anonymous and ignorant and we can only hope that you are baiting us. If you are serious, then I recommend a new hobby.

P.S. You may want to take a Scuba Review with someone who can teach you how to dive.

P.S.S. I sound like George Junior tonight. I need to go diving.

It appears that since you can't get past the logic of what I am saying you have chosen to make a personal attack. If you were to see me diving (of course not knowing it was me) you would not say such uninformed things about my diving skills.

You are the one that does not know what you are talking about. The problem is that you have been blinded by a false sense of superiority, the lack of a logical mind, and a tendency to jump to conclusions and make false generalizations. If I were looking for a dive instructor for any reason, it would not be any of this bunch of South Florida crazies.

GI3's writing style is even more caustic.

Seems that some of you are wishing that something bad happens to me. That is out of place and out of line.

BS

Oh, yes Wreckwriter, you are arrogant. (Let's make it official.)

I care Pud, really I do.

Nazi Divemasters? How about the guys that call 50' dives after 35 minutes because they don't want to be late for lunch, or the DM's that worry divers about reverse profiles when there is no evidence that reverse profiles are bad?

You've seen a lot of this, have you? The crew picks the dive sites and therefor the depth, not the clowns.

Seems like a fair price

So tell us.

Tom

Good luck with your diving future, Leadweight. I sincerely hope that your talents are far superior than anyone else's.
You are mis-informed about cave diving, end of discussion. We are not saying that cave diving is safe, we are saying that it is safe if you proceed properly.

Have fun with him, guys. He's a live one.

I'm going diving. I can't take this crap any longer.

Hole in Woods, here I come!

Glad I missed this one....I only do less than 30 cave dives a year. Does that make me a recreational cave diver despite laying 3000 ft of line in the last 12 months?

Duncan

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom