Quest For Sunken Warships - New TV show on the Military Channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin Dave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello Everybody!!

I hope that this post finds you doing well and that your summer has been as exceptional as mine!!

You may recall me mentioning (a time or two) that I had been hired by Dan Crowell to be a member of a dive team on a television program for KPI and the Discovery Networks’ Military Channel. Well, production has wrapped and the program is called the “Quest For Sunken Warships.” AND, it’s scheduled for network release in one week!!!

Working on this series has been an incredible journey for me. I’ve met and dived with some of the best divers in the world and gone down on some of the most fantastic wrecks including a couple of German U-boats, a Japanese submarine tender and an American destroyer! For the “Quest” we dived in everything from the cold shark infested waters off of the Mid Atlantic seaboard to the warm tropical waters of the central Pacific. We battled some of the strongest ocean currents that I have ever experienced and went to depths exceeding 250 feet of sea water to bring home some of the most visually stunning high definition underwater footage that I have ever been a part of.

What an amazing treat the viewer is going to have on this one! I really feel honored to have had the opportunity to participate in making this program and hope that ratings for this series will allow us to bring you more programs like this in the future!!

I want to thank everybody that assisted and supported us while shooting this program and hope that all of you have as much fun watching it as we had making it!!

All the best!

~ David​
=================================================

QuestforSunkenWarships.jpg

Former owner and Skipper of the legendary Dive boat Seeker, Captain Dan Crowell has dived into a new career as an underwater cameraman, Director and TV producer. Teamed with New York based Kralyevich Production, Inc. (KPI) Crowell and his company Seeker Digital Productions (SDP) have contracted with Discovery's Military channel to produce a special series called "Quest For Sunken Warships" (formally Sea Battles).

The four part special series follows veteran wreck diver and underwater cameraman Dan Crowell and a specialized hand picked dive team consisting of David Ulloa, Becky Kagan and a small group of support divers as they sift through the wreckage that now rests on the bottom of the worlds oceans. Their focus is to help shed light on some of the most amazing conflicts fought on the ocean's battlefields.

This program is for divers, history buffs and military enthusiasts alike!!!

dandavebec.jpg

TUNE IN AND TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT IT..!!

For more information on the QUEST FOR SUNKEN WARSHIPS, to see show teasers
or to check air dates and show times, go to:

http://www.underseaexpeditionaryvideo.com/quest.htm
http://www.sdp-video.com
http://www.kpitv.com

or

Military Channel :: TV Listings :: Quest for Sunken Warships

Well, I just looked up on my Tivo and it's coming up as "SeaBattles". The Episode name is "Torpedo Alley", which is the correct name for the "Quest for Sunken Warships" premier episode. So I'll record it and see what happens.

Did anyone else watch this? There was some fantastic footage. I started to get a little claustrophobic watching Crowell squeeze into that torpedo tube.

Well, I just looked up on my Tivo and it's coming up as "SeaBattles". The Episode name is "Torpedo Alley", which is the correct name for the "Quest for Sunken Warships" premier episode. So I'll record it and see what happens.
The working title for the program was Sea Battles. About four weeks ago the special series was given the name "Quest For Sunken Warships" by the network. Hope you enjoyed watching the first episode as much as we enjoyed shooting it. I have to say that your in for a real treat on the next three episodes!! Tune in tonight and tell your friends about it!

David

Did anyone else watch this? There was some fantastic footage. I started to get a little claustrophobic watching Crowell squeeze into that torpedo tube.

Ha ha.. so did I when i was shooting him do that!! it was a tight fit for him, but he's had allot of experience getting his six foot frame into U-boats. Thanks for your comment about the footage! I think i can speak for Dan and the others who worked on the show when i say "thank you." I hope that you enjoy the rest of the series as much. :popcorn:

Ha ha.. so did I when i was shooting him do that!! it was a tight fit for him, but he's had allot of experience getting his six foot frame into U-boats. Thanks for your comment about the footage! I think i can speak for Dan and the others who worked on the show when i say "thank you." I hope that you enjoy the rest of the series as much. :popcorn:

Dave, the Truk islands footage from last night was fantastic. I am totally impressed with what you guys have shot up to this point.

What was your favorite dive in this series? I'm glued to the TV for the rest, I've been DVRing them and making my friends watch it. I only wish we had HD Military channel where I am.

Speaking of, do you know if they are going to release the series on HD DVD? I'd buy a player for that.

Dave, the Truk islands footage from last night was fantastic. I am totally impressed with what you guys have shot up to this point.

What was your favorite dive in this series? I'm glued to the TV for the rest, I've been DVRing them and making my friends watch it. I only wish we had HD Military channel where I am.

Speaking of, do you know if they are going to release the series on HD DVD? I'd buy a player for that.

Thanks for your comments! All of us that worked on the series appreciate that you are enjoying it so much. Hopefully this does not sound too much like a cliché, but thats why we do it!

As for me, my favorite dive in the series came at the end. The dives we made on the USS Murphy were by far my favorite. Don't get me wrong, all of the dives were amazing in their own right, and in many ways they were all so special and unique that none of them can be compared to each other. But for me, i really love the deep challenging wrecks that have an incredible story of human fortitude, and the USS Murphy certainly had that!

The story of the USS Murphy can be found on Dan Crowells web page at:Deep Explorers

As for the dive, here is an excerpt from my blog on MySpace:

By diving on the only remaining part of the United States WWII destroyer, this episode looks at the collision that sent the bow of the USS Murphy hurdling 260 feet down to the floor of the Atlantic ocean 70 miles off of the New Jersey coast. Our expert dive team spent two days diving in the frigid 45 degree waters that surround the 150 foot section of bow. I think we came back with some amazing footage that will not only tell the story of the horrific collision between the USS Murphy and the tanker SS Bulkoil, but illustrate what happens to a ship that sits on the floor of the ocean for over 60 years. It also demonstrates what it takes to visit her, and sometimes, it takes allot!

The first of two dives that we made on the USS Murphy was one of the more challenging dives that I have ever undertaken. Not to say that carrying a video camera on a 260 foot deep rebreather decompression dive in cold, dark water with a strong top-to-bottom current, to a small wreck that is strewn with monofilament and fishing nets, is not fun ~ it was just hard work...! The second dive was much better for us in that the current laid down enough to make the swim safer and we were able to get to other parts of the wreck that were previously impossible.

Personally I'm really looking forward to watching this episode as it represents more than just an amazing dive to an incredible wreck. I think it will help give closure to many of the survivors of the collision, and I certainly hope that it helps to answer some of their questions about that night.

As far as an HD DVD release, i do not have an answer on that yet. I'll check with the producers at KPI and Discovery and get back to you as soon as i find out! I encourage you to also send your comments and questions to The Military Channel at Discovery Military Channel :: Contact Us

If we get positive viewer feedback and good ratings, they will sign up for more shows like these.

Thanks again for your comments, questions and support. The third episode about the USS Oriskany premiers on Wednesday November 7th at 10pm E/P and the USS Murphy episode on November 14th at 10pm E/P.

Hey Dave, I saw the show last night and it was AWESOME! That was some really incredible footage you guys shot on the battleships. It would be a little unnerving to me knowing that those torpedos down there are still LIVE and charged.

Have you been diving with Becky for a long time? Is she going to be getting rebreather trained and certified?

dvr'ed it last nite & watched @ noon today.....great little show........keep up the good work.............GEAUX TIGERS..............

Hey Dave, I saw the show last night and it was AWESOME! That was some really incredible footage you guys shot on the battleships. It would be a little unnerving to me knowing that those torpedos down there are still LIVE and charged.

Have you been diving with Becky for a long time? Is she going to be getting rebreather trained and certified?

Thank you for your comments, and I'm glad you liked the footage!!! Ya, diving around all of the ordinance was all a bit unnerving :gulp18: but after a while, we just seemed to settle into the fact that if we were cautious and practiced good diving techniques, we would avoid disturbing any of it. (good thing also!)

Becky and i have been diving together on wrecks and in caves for about a year and a half now. We met while on a cave dive in north Florida and have been great friends and dive buddies ever since!! Yes Becky did complete her rebreather certification early this year and you will see her diving the AP Diving Evolution in the next episode!

Thanks for your question, and I'm glad to hear that you like the program, and i look forward to hearing your comments on the next episodes!!

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom