questeeeon? is FEBRUARY/MARCH a good time for ginnie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

911_abuser

Reaction score
a coworker and i want to go see what the fuss is all about. anything we should be aware of that isnt mentioned in the website? and will my 3 mm shortie work?

fernando

I have dove Ginnie in late Jan to mid Feb on several occasions. It can get crowded on the weekends even that time of year so if it's possible, go on a weekday. If you have to go on a weekend and can get to the area on Fri evening, try to drop by and do all the paperwork and pay on Fri for the Sat dive. That way you can just stop by, pick up your passes and hit the water. We have gotten in one dive before most everyone else got through the checkin lines that way. We had the water before it got stirred up. Also, by getting there early, you can claim a good spot to put your gear. Take a couple of lights with you but be aware that unless you have a cave or cavern cert, the only place you will be allowed to take them is in the main spring.

The amount of thermal protection you need depends a lot on you , the water temp is around 72 deg. I typicaly use a 5mm long sleeve top, a fleece skin and a 1/8 hood. This seems to be plenty for me as long as I am actually diving. The coldest I have been there was a 50 deg rainy day one Feb. We were fine in the water but damn near froze to death when we got out.

Is it worth it? Well, it's a 10 hr drive for me but after 3 or 4 months of being cold and dry I am ready to go somewhere. It's a nice break once every 2 or 3 years, the other years I will head off to a different spring.

If you go in March It the same as going the end Of Oct begining Nov.
Nights will be cool. If you do a night dive there are no crowds.
I find that getting there Late afternoon Is great. All the others are done diving and you can set up almost anywhere. Besides you don't have to get up early. If your not Cave or Cavern Cert.
You can do Little devel first move to the Eye then Peak into the Ear. That will take all of 45 Min. Then if you take a flag you can go down the river to the inlet to the Ball room area or you can exit the water and drive to the Ballroom area and stag there. You can dive till Midnight. THe ballroom area is lite so its no big deal. If you swim to the Ballroom from The Ear you will have to walk or swim back to where you parked your car. Crowds at night are non exsistant. Have Fun
Fred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom